2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to be pessimistic right now. I think the break will have let them get some stuff sorted out and targets identified.

Work has already started with Rondon leaving. I think there will be more to follow with Doucoure and Keane probably leaving for actual transfer fees. This will create headroom for incomings.
I certainly hope so.

I don't think pessimism should be dismissed when it comes to Everton, though. Over the last 27 years, it's the pessimists - not the optimists - who have been overwhelmingly right about Everton's future direction. At this point, I don't think there are "pessimists" per se in our fanbase. They tend to be the realists.

I certainly hope so.

I don't think pessimism should be dismissed when it comes to Everton, though. Over the last 27 years, it's the pessimists - not the optimists - who have been overwhelmingly right about Everton's future direction. At this point, I don't think there are "pessimists" per se in our fanbase. They tend to be the realists.
It is very easy for me to be overcome where Everton are concerned. I don’t want to go there just yet (but there is still time this season).

I think Frank needs time and needs to be supported. We are coming through the back of the worst recruitment cycle I can ever remember. Thelwell had done wonders getting unwanted players out of the club. We may even get fees for Gomes and Gbamin! Rondon has gone and it seems that Keane and Doucoure are also on the way out. In summer, Townsend, Mina, Coleman and Davies contracts end, Vinagre loan ends, and the Kean fee becomes due. All of this is really positive.

For me, it heralds the start of a new era and the route out of the FFP trap.

It is very easy for me to be overcome where Everton are concerned. I don’t want to go there just yet (but there is still time this season).

I think Frank needs time and needs to be supported. We are coming through the back of the worst recruitment cycle I can ever remember. Thelwell had done wonders getting unwanted players out of the club. We may even get fees for Gomes and Gbamin! Rondon has gone and it seems that Keane and Doucoure are also on the way out. In summer, Townsend, Mina, Coleman and Davies contracts end, Vinagre loan ends, and the Kean fee becomes due. All of this is really positive.

For me, it heralds the start of a new era and the route out of the FFP trap.
I don't disagree much with any of this. The issue, for me, though, is that the manager has to earn the right to continue this new era. There's no point Thelwell doing a great job if we can only get the benefit of it from the Championship.

Lampard needs wins. It's as simple as that. And he needs them quick.

Don't think we can dump the blame on Thelwell too much. He has come to a broken club with a remit of fixing it from top to bottom with very limited resources.
He has to work hand in hand with Lampard and for those that are citing Maupay and McNeil as Thelwells mistakes have to add Lampard into it.
Players on big contracts we are stuck with will be difficult to sell and most likely sit on the contract.....that is not Thelwells fault.
He has also brought in Tarks, Coady, Gana and Onana or was that Lampard.
Nothing is a fast fix at financially poor Everton and at the mo we have to rely more on Lampard to come up with the tactics that will allow us to compete better than we are.
The Tenure of Thelwell is still early and to expect miracles at this moment is silly. This is a long term job to fix what mess has preceded him.

I don't disagree much with any of this. The issue, for me, though, is that the manager has to earn the right to continue this new era. There's no point Thelwell doing a great job if we can only get the benefit of it from the Championship.

He does need wins, and I think they will come. He also needs backing. Without a goal threat, there isn’t much any manager could do.

The break may have given him time to properly consider Price, Cannon and Mills. It may be one of those moments where the answer is under your nose.

I often feel with Everton that good solutions are often forced on us through injury or catastrophe. This may be one of those moments. Frank certainly doesn’t seem averse to shipping of undef performing pros, meaning he may be forced to turn to the youth.

He does need wins, and I think they will come. He also needs backing. Without a goal threat, there isn’t much any manager could do.

The break may have given him time to properly consider Price, Cannon and Mills. It may be one of those moments where the answer is under your nose.

I often feel with Everton that good solutions are often forced on us through injury or catastrophe. This may be one of those moments. Frank certainly doesn’t seem averse to shipping of undef performing pros, meaning he may be forced to turn to the youth.
Sounds like a firm of solicitors - seriously though you have made a valid point regarding the youngsters.

Yeah, this.

There was some optimism after the summer window, when the new signings largely looked decent in the games that followed. Since then, we’ve fallen back into looking like a disjointed bag of crap.

Onana and Gueye seemed to have been played in each other’s roles to the detriment of both, Garner wasn’t used at all (despite us looking increasingly crap in central midfield) and McNeil has been used sparingly despite looking exactly like the player that everyone but our manager knew he was before we signed him.

The problems obviously go well beyond Lampard but that doesn’t excuse the fact that Lampard is kind of starting to look like a problem.

Gives us a 5ft8 CF who scored 16 goals in his last 2 seasons combined and our manager decides to play hoof ball up to him.

Time to make a decision Kev lad otherwise you'll cop the flack for the manager not getting a tune oot yer signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.