2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Given our track record I don't see anyone here who is even remotely up to that job, certainly none of our scouts have really shown they deserve to be promoted to the role. It's a role that for me should be given to someone with a proven track record (and a very good black book of contacts) of finding players who have shown they can go on and improve regardless of age/nationality. Similar to Dyche in a sense that we need to just get someone who actually knows what they are doing.
I think the issue is that whilst under the current ownership model we are always going to have Kenwright wanting to have a look at every transfer that goes on as he still feels a need to be involved and then you have Moshiri and Kia also hovering about in the background. I just don't see Thelwell or any other DoF/Head of Recruitment being able to setup any kind of scouting programme (not one that they want) without interference from above sadly.
Well Dan Purdy - who has been head of scouting (I believe) has the job.

I think it's stupid too.

He's, again, very well regarded. Maybe he'll turn out to be ideal for it. But it felt like we needed fresh ideas and impetus.

Tarkowski on a free was boss business

Onana is one of the signings of the summer

McNeil could probably improve under Dyche

When you consider he also targeted Kudus and Danjuma but just missed oot on both I have confidence in him long term to bring in some decent signings when our finances improve.

Patience is needed - Big Kevs got this.

We didn't really bar one AGM.

Thelwell hasn't spoke since his first club interview, apart from when providing quotes to the website for signings.
Brands gave summaries of both summer windows in 2018 and 2019, which I remember really appreciating at the time.

Even though he turned out to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot, the fact the he explained the rationale behind the transfers after those windows at least went someway to keep the fanbase in the loop as to what kind of strategy we were trying to implement. I thought it was particularly telling that he stopped doing summaries after his second summer, which was disastrous to say the least, as the club drastically started to disappear up its own backside by that point.

It's ludicrous how little we have heard from Thelwell. To see Dyche having to try and come up with explanations why no signings were made having been here for all of five minutes was a joke, and speaks of a club that will go to any lengths possible to avoid anyone seeing just what is going on behind the curtain.

When you consider he also targeted Kudus and Danjuma but just missed oot on both I have confidence in him long term to bring in some decent signings when our finances improve.

He's doing a good job, much to the annoyance of some.
If we have a clean sweep he is one of the few, possibly the only one who should actually stay

Well I sure hope our only centre forward who also has an Andy Carroll-esque injury record, isn’t currently injured. I’m sure Big Kev would’ve planned for this scenario and ensured we were fully covered.

Centre forward is the most expensive position to fill. The last thing we need are more 'cheap' solutions that in reality end up costing us a fortune, and offer us nothing.

It seems pretty obvious to me that we're shopping within certain limits, and unfortunately getting a decent forward in within those limits is tricky.

I much rather this patient approach than the previous years of scatter-gunning anything that became available with wads of cash.

In the long run this is the only game to play.

Centre forward is the most expensive position to fill. The last thing we need are more 'cheap' solutions that in reality end up costing us a fortune, and offer us nothing.

It seems pretty obvious to me that we're shopping within certain limits, and unfortunately getting a decent forward in within those limits is tricky.

I much rather this patient approach than the previous years of scatter-gunning anything that became available with wads of cash.

In the long run this is the only game to play.

It’s not patient though is it? We were throwing desperate bids around on deadline day. And we’re still buying the wrong players, why did we buy Neal Maupay? Simply ignoring something and not bothering to buy a player is not a good strategy, I couldn’t possibly disagree more.

I have patience with him mate, the last window was a manure show, but i think external factors come into that and what we didnt do was throw money at old rope like Dele, VDB and ElGhazi. Some of the summer buisness was very good and impactful. He can also do deals out and bring revenue in - not talking about the high profile ones but the likes of Anderon, Quirk and Broadhead.

Not saying Jan was a success or anything, but i think we were in our worst PR position - probably ever bar when Johnson was here.

It’s not patient though is it? We were throwing desperate bids around on deadline day. And we’re still buying the wrong players, why did we buy Neal Maupay? Simply ignoring something and not bothering to buy a player is not a good strategy, I couldn’t possibly disagree more.

We were throwing bids around but I wouldn't call them desperate. We refused to overpay and have our pants pulled down.

Desperate is paying 100k+ per week for Ramirez, Rooney, Schniederlinn, Walcott, Bernard and not too far behind for Delph. There's a good argument Mina and Sigi fall into that bracket also.

We were throwing bids around but I wouldn't call them desperate. We refused to overpay and have our pants pulled down.

Desperate is paying 100k+ per week for Ramirez, Rooney, Schniederlinn, Walcott, Bernard and not too far behind for Delph. There's a good argument Mina and Sigi fall into that bracket also.

We had our pants pulled down in the summer instead when we paid £35m for McNeil and Maupay.

Well Dan Purdy - who has been head of scouting (I believe) has the job.

I think it's stupid too.

He's, again, very well regarded. Maybe he'll turn out to be ideal for it. But it felt like we needed fresh ideas and impetus.
It all just depends on whether the club allows them to get on with their role. Everton seem to have a view of the DoF role, and the scouting dept which is contrary to the general view of his that role should operate. I remember Moshiri saying he went to Turkey with Steve Walsh to scout Tosun…..he should not have done that….nothing to do with him as owner, so it is difficult who is doing a good job from a bad job because of the consistency and level of interference from vested interest parties

Status
Not open for further replies.