2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A Lampard signing"

This is where agendas are shown up. Happened under Brands too.

Moshiri said the other day that the manager or DoF can suggest a player, but they both have to sign off on it. That means there's no such thing as a "Lampard signing" or a "Thelwell signing"
"A Lampard signing"

This is where agendas are shown up. Happened under Brands too.

Moshiri said the other day that the manager or DoF can suggest a player, but they both have to sign off on it. That means there's no such thing as a "Lampard signing" or a "Thelwell signing"
It is a lampard when conversations are needed to convince the player to sign for us. Of course he was on a list like probably hundreds of other players, but without lampard key contribution through conversations he had with the player, he wouldn't be an everton player.

It is a lampard when conversations are needed to convince the player to sign for us. Of course he was on a list like probably hundreds of other players, but without lampard key contribution through conversations he had with the player, he wouldn't be an everton player.
I would hope/expect that every signing speaks to the manager before signing for us. Dyche said that he was on the phone with people on Tuesday.

I don't think this is the silver bullet you think, other than than the possibility that Lampard's name may be a draw.

I would hope/expect that every signing speaks to the manager before signing for us. Dyche said that he was on the phone with people on Tuesday.

I don't think this is the silver bullet you think, other than than the possibility that Lampard's name may be a draw.
Indeed...dyche was in conversations and was not able to convince anybody. Lampard might be an average manager, but he can talk and could sell anything as he has charisma.

He also said Kenwright was and Thelwell. The modern day player isn't going to fall for Bill's tales of the boys pen and whatever other history lesson he tries to give out imo. Lampard might be a rubbish manager but he was a top, top player and he will have been on the wall of a lot of younger lads bedrooms growing up which is why they are happy to play for their idol. Dyche played in the same Millwall team as Cahill and admits himself he was a very fit player but bang average. He is your typical English PL manager which to some lads (the foreign ones) may not draw them in so easily even though he is clearly a good manager.

I am not, I am asking for the DoF to be in place when the latest manager is presented to the press. I work in the press. It should be done. If you want a sign of unity, then that's it.

I am not asking for the bloke to be crucified because I don't think it's fully his fault. I don't actually think, from talking to a lot of different people who do know more about the situation, he is even incompetent.

I do think he's hidden, and I'm fed up of that.
Has he ever actually gone on record about his role at Everton? I know we used to hear from Brands normally after what he considered to be a successful window (but went quiet when it wasn’t) but other than maybe one interview when he first joined I don’t think I’ve heard from him. We’ve heard second hand about his six million point plan but he seems to keep an incredibly low profile even for a DoF

Has he ever actually gone on record about his role at Everton? I know we used to hear from Brands normally after what he considered to be a successful window (but went quiet when it wasn’t) but other than maybe one interview when he first joined I don’t think I’ve heard from him. We’ve heard second hand about his six million point plan but he seems to keep an incredibly low profile even for a DoF
We didn't really bar one AGM.

Thelwell hasn't spoke since his first club interview, apart from when providing quotes to the website for signings.

We didn't really bar one AGM.

Thelwell hasn't spoke since his first club interview, apart from when providing quotes to the website for signings.
He is defo more of a paper shuffler type imo whereas Brands was a proper DoF (you can debate his usefulness as much as you want but he was the real deal imo) When Thelwell went into NYC Red Bulls it was largely to oversee a series of cost cutting measures in terms of the squad and I think that is why he is here (amongst other things)

Brands was on the board so appearance at the AGM etc would be expected I guess. He put himself out there a lot as well, loved being on camera.

He is defo more of a paper shuffler type imo whereas Brands was a proper DoF (you can debate his usefulness as much as you want but he was the real deal imo) When Thelwell went into NYC Red Bulls it was largely to oversee a series of cost cutting measures in terms of the squad and I think that is why he is here (amongst other things)
Thelwell is very highly regarded tbf. I do think the internal appointment of the head of recruitment is daft, and he did that.

The issue is how much power they have. It doesn't appear to be a lot on big decisions and that's not on.

However, as a recruitment team they also have to acknowledge they failed in a key area.

Thelwell is very highly regarded tbf. I do think the internal appointment of the head of recruitment is daft, and he did that.

The issue is how much power they have. It doesn't appear to be a lot on big decisions and that's not on.

However, as a recruitment team they also have to acknowledge they failed in a key area.
That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Given our track record I don't see anyone here who is even remotely up to that job, certainly none of our scouts have really shown they deserve to be promoted to the role. It's a role that for me should be given to someone with a proven track record (and a very good black book of contacts) of finding players who have shown they can go on and improve regardless of age/nationality. Similar to Dyche in a sense that we need to just get someone who actually knows what they are doing.
I think the issue is that whilst under the current ownership model we are always going to have Kenwright wanting to have a look at every transfer that goes on as he still feels a need to be involved and then you have Moshiri and Kia also hovering about in the background. I just don't see Thelwell or any other DoF/Head of Recruitment being able to setup any kind of scouting programme (not one that they want) without interference from above sadly.

If I was a player from abroad and went in for an interview to sign for Everton, and the first thing I see was Kenwright. I would walk straight out.

Status
Not open for further replies.