Just how far behind the top four are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not trouble ourselves with these details and enjoy the ride. Can we at least agree things are on the up?

It's a joy to watch Everton play football again.

Arsenal away will be the biggest telltale sign of where we stand. It'll be interesting to see if we play football that match - if we play to win, that will be a bigger cause for optimism than getting a result after the last few seasons of anti-football.

9hxtDCE.png

Miles away.

There is a big gap to bridge but if Silva and Brands continue like they started, I am hopeful.

There are signs of leadership, intelligence and a plan coming from them. They identified weaknesses, went methodically about plugging the gaps with good quality players, are slowly but surely getting rid of those players with no future at Goodison and have managed to get a tune out of Schneiderlin and refused to sell Lookman.

It will probably take another 3-4 windows but I am confident that we are now moving in the right direction and will be able to mount a credible top 4 challenge in a season or two.

For now, top six and a cup would be fantastic.

Mina and digne strung out there transfers in the hope a bigger team would come in for them. Gomes came to get fit, several clubs never went for Bernard due to his high wages and they were unsure he could had the strength to cope in this league. He was on his way to China before we went for him

If the agent fees were too much for united for mina, it will be interesting to see how much brands paid.

No, they didn't.

No, they weren't in for him.

Stop pedalling rumour that has been disproved as fact. It's weird.

I’d first like to see us play ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea.

Those 3 look the most fragile early on.

Look at Leicester’s season. It took some of the Top 6 being crap.

Think Chelsea will pull it together. Arsenal and United do look vulnerable but it has only been two games.
Let's not trouble ourselves with these details and enjoy the ride. Can we at least agree things are on the up?

It's a joy to watch Everton play football again.

Arsenal away will be the biggest telltale sign of where we stand. It'll be interesting to see if we play football that match - if we play to win, that will be a bigger cause for optimism than getting a result after the last few seasons of anti-football.

Honestly, it's all about getting a result. I don't care if Silva completely changes the style to get points in those away matches against the top 6. That's the next step for us.

De Bruyne
Salah
Aguero
David Silva
De Gea
Hazard
Kante
Kane

There's eight.

Hadn't counted but I agree, thats fair enough.....but thats from 5 teams tbh.

But we are not 4 or 5 wc players away from top 4. We are maybe 4 or 5 wc players away from a title challeng though.

How can we get anywhere near the top clubs in the Premiership? How much has it cost Man City? RS always find a way, Chelsea spent massive money, Man U will always attract players. Spurs/Arsenal always attract the major players (London). So how do we break this trend? 30 40 50 million pound players are not enough now so what can we do?

Which of these six are the top four?

*I’ll spot you City, can you pick the other three?

Personally I think that getting to be considered as 'one of the top 4' is going to take a lot more than finishing in the top 4 for a single season.

To be considered one of the top teams we need to finish in the top 4 for at least 2 or 3 consecutive season which will mean consistently being better than 2 of the current top 6. At the moment Everton have the capability to potentially get in the top 6 but it's a huge leap to have a consistent team to get top 4 on a regular basis.

I think the best we can hope for over the next 3 or 4 years is to have the 'Top 6' getting to referred to as the 'Top 7' then push on from there.

I'd say we're a long way behind finishing in the top 4 places. At a push if one of the top 6 has a poor season like Arsenal did last year and we have a much better season than we did last year then 6th would be achievable. But it's too early to say and don't want to get carried away. We need to get the new players settled in quickly. Hopefully get a bit of luck with injuries as well as we haven't had that the last few years.

Bournemouth should be a decent game on Saturday with the start they've had. Think having no European football this season is a blessing but let's see how we get on this season and will probably be back in some form or another next year.

man city are a Ferrari

we are a Volkswagen Passat

even if we upgraded to a Ferrari engine we are still travelling at the same speed as city so the distance will always be the same, we won't improve the gap but we will be able to maintain it

what we need is for the wheels on the city vehicle to bust then we can catch them up
No, once you've upgraded your engine you just need to make sure you have a better driver and you'll soon find yourself catching up. As I said earlier, good buys and good coaching is the key to it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.