Just how far behind the top four are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not it wont.
The big 6 will get even more decisions.
on set pieces and when they counter attack, opposition teams usuallly shoulder barge/push/pull their shirts etc to prevent them from attacking, these go largley unnoticed unless they are done blatatently. If these decisions are sent to VAR, they will get more in their favour.

Surely the blatant offside goals the likes of Liverpool regularly get will be chalked off though?

Agree with your post and concept of what you're trying to say. I think finishing 7th as a minimum is something we have to be achieving each year from now on, and we cannot afford the likes of Leicester to be ahead of us. Obviously the on the pitch aspect is the most important thing, but how we perform off it is also going to be a contributing factor in moving us closer to the top 6 and away from those clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Burnley, Southampton etc.

That means the Stadium coming off, and improving our global appeal and the money we make commercially. The club have failed miserably on the latter for decades which is unacceptable for a club of our stature, especially when you consider those other 4 clubs I mentioned (as well as the rest of the league), are vastly inferior to us in that regard.

As i said, and other posts also have; I think it's crucial we look at Spurs model of about 10 years ago. Both Spurs and Villa were level with us, and well, from being in one straight tangent, we've split 3 different ways. Villa have sunk, with poor investment, managing and so on, we've stayed still, with some smart and some horrific moves, but we've signed well, which was huge. Spurs by contrast used what they have to their advantage. A shrewd owner, good decisions in the transfer market, the london factor, consistent approach to Europe.

We need to follow their model (London aside). It'll be more difficult now due to the prominence of 6 teams rather than 3/4, but we need to plan that way, it may take longer, but if we're ambitious anything is possible.

obviously they will, but they will get more in the way of protection from aggressive tactics from the opposition

Only the crucial game changing decisions that the likes of Liverpool always get will be subject to VAR though, it doesn't come into play for slight fouls on the halfway line.

Shouldn't even be thinking about the top 4.

Let's make sure we're best of the rest then move on from there.

I'd like to think in a years time after Brands and Silva has assessed the squad properly and seen how players perform over the course of a season, we'll be in a better placed to trouble the top six at least.

But any talk of top four is dreamland at the moment. We'd need at least two implosions and for us to have the best season we've had since we won the league.

Even when Leicester come out of nowhere, just look how bad Liverpool, Chelsea, United and Man City were compared to now

batsuyai was never given a chance in the premier league, he came off the bench most of the time

he does run though and tracks back, i dont think you have seen him play.
This is him last season on loan at dortmund for 7 goals in 10 games

0.47-0.57 and 1.42 - 1.49 is what he brings off the ball
are you seriously going to sit there and say he wouldnt be a massive upgrade on what we have

I’m saying that he showed absolutely nothing in the PL and Chelsea went so far as to buy another player to be back up.

They still loaned him out this season despite Morata being utter dirge. Tells you all you need to know about Batshuayi.

That's a little simplistic though. There's nothing to say they couldn't have signed another very good striker if they didn't have Kane. Their signings in other positions have shown that they're good at finding top quality players without spending huge amounts, so it's perfectly feasible they'd be in a similar position with somebody else up front. They're far from a one man team.

Their signings up front are torrid, like.

That being said, they have been looking for players to fill a very particular role - i.e. quality striker who is happy to be second fiddle.

this is how i've always felt about him too. Iheanacho had a great strike rate at city, but i always questioned whether that was because of who was supplying him. He's gone to leicester and shown that there if people aren't providing for him, what does he offer? Similar to the criticisms of lukaku, but of course lukaku does have the ability to create goals for himself too.

But batshuayi is probably a bit similar to iheanacho in that if he went to a team like leicester, he would struggle to score as well.

Personally i think we need a really pacey striker
if we'r going to look at one, someone who can interchange with the two wingers who can both play up front imo, it just shouldn't be their number one position.

I think we may have someone who can play that role in Richarlison...

I'd say we are pretty far behind. There's a chance we could catch someone like Arsenal this season if they have a meltdown and we play to the best of our ability but are we likely to maintain that like Spurs have for 4 seasons? I don't see it right now.

For us to be in with a chance of turning it into a top 7 the new stadium needs to be built and we need to unearth some gems in the transfer market or bring through quality youngsters like Rooney/Barkley who are ready to play at the highest level.

I’d first like to see us play ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea.

Those 3 look the most fragile early on.

Look at Leicester’s season. It took some of the Top 6 being crap.

Nothing is impossible. It’s highly unlikely but not impossible. Man United look a mess, Arsenal have a new manager for the first time in a generation and may need time, Chelsea can yoyo from 9th to title winners back to 5th in the space of 3 seasons so who knows what they’ll do. The top 3 are set in stone for me - I think City win the league, as much as it pains me to say the RS a close second and Spurs 3rd which leaves that 4th spot is up for grabs and if everything clicks there is no reason we can’t crash the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.