2020/21 Josh King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cover for who? You mean as in if one player is out injured he can play? Hasnt both DCL and Richarlison missed games but he still didnt cover for them?
To be honest, I was delighted when I heard we weren't giving him a three year deal because I didn’t want him here.
However on a short contract it was ok. He was the only striker available with PL experience for relatively little money. it was him or retain Tosun. He didn’t play Tosun much either.
I can’t answer why Carlo hasn’t played him, but I’m sure he wanted the comfort of cover for the forward positions. Having him may have meant that Carlo was happy to keep playing DCL and Richy without resting them, knowing that there was emergency cover if anything happened.
He won’t be here next season and we are free to get someone who better fits the plan.
It really is a non issue to me.

To be honest, I was delighted when I heard we weren't giving him a three year deal because I didn’t want him here.
However on a short contract it was ok. He was the only striker available with PL experience for relatively little money. it was him or retain Tosun. He didn’t play Tosun much either.
I can’t answer why Carlo hasn’t played him, but I’m sure he wanted the comfort of cover for the forward positions. Having him may have meant that Carlo was happy to keep playing DCL and Richy without resting them, knowing that there was emergency cover if anything happened.
He won’t be here next season and we are free to get someone who better fits the plan.
It really is a non issue to me.
exactly this. It was a low risk option and a sensible option. The club gave a King a chance, gave him the platform to play out his last 6 months at the highest level possible and i can only assume he's flattered to deceive in training otherwise you'd assume Carlo would play him more. I don't think the move was a failure on our part, if anyone needs to hold their hands up it's the player.
He'll no doubt get an offer from somewhere, maybe's he's already got one lined up but you'd like to think a player, playing for his last big contract would do all he can to get the best offer possible.... and if he is currently doing all he can? well then, he's not good enough for Everton.

exactly this. It was a low risk option and a sensible option. The club gave a King a chance, gave him the platform to play out his last 6 months at the highest level possible and i can only assume he's flattered to deceive in training otherwise you'd assume Carlo would play him more. I don't think the move was a failure on our part, if anyone needs to hold their hands up it's the player.
He'll no doubt get an offer from somewhere, maybe's he's already got one lined up but you'd like to think a player, playing for his last big contract would do all he can to get the best offer possible.... and if he is currently doing all he can? well then, he's not good enough for Everton.
The other lad we were linked with from Bayern who went to has done bugger all too. It’s a rotten window for long term plans, only useful for short term cover.

If he's that bad why sign him in the first place? Why are we paying a player not to mention a transfer fee to his former club for a total of 137 minutes on the pitch? It certainly looks like poor business on our part.

If he's that bad why sign him in the first place? Why are we paying a player not to mention a transfer fee to his former club for a total of 137 minutes on the pitch? It certainly looks like poor business on our part.

If we hadn't bought a striker GOT would have been up in arms with 'what if Richarlison and DCL get injured?' so they were forced into it.

Being 1 yard out with no keeper to beat I would expect him to score.
That is what I was thinking. For me he was not under massive pressure from defenders so could have directed the header where he wanted. Why he went where he did is a bit of a mystery as that was the very area defenders were covering the goal. Should have nodded it towards the far post but then again I have never been in that position so what do I know

I'd keep him for next year. He must be on lowish wages. Maybe with the understanding that if he isn't playing he can leave in Jan

He is the level you get from a January window. It was not poor business, it was insurance.
His presence has put pressure on DCL and Richy.

You are failing to factor in the other aspects though. King's arrival allowed us to send Tosun out on loan, and it was widely reported at the time that:

a) Besiktas had agreed to picking up Tosun's wage entirely; and

b) King's wage is slightly lower than Tosun's.

We essentially paid a couple of million to replace Tosun with King, and that's not bad business at all considering Tosun has been an abject failure here.

I'd keep him for next year. He must be on lowish wages. Maybe with the understanding that if he isn't playing he can leave in Jan
I doubt he will stay. His contract is up and he’ll get a few contract offers from other teams. Why stay here on the terms you are mentioning when he can probably get a three year deal somewhere, West Ham, Celtic etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.