2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
West was an excellent keeper, so is Pickford, they both have/had the odd rush of blood, but, they are/were both great keepers. Don't forget, even though Westy only got a couple of caps, Gordon Banks, the best keeper in the world at the time, was England's regular keeper. Either way, after Southall, there is little to choose between West and Pickford as the best we've had.

Nigel Martyn?

He made 2 great saves, both from Nunez. I would expect him to have made all the other saves. Let’s not undermine the great work done by the back 4. Ut was certainly a team effort.

Yes, I mentioned him in the original post, he came to us a couple of years too late and wasn't here long enough, but, if we had signed him when we were first linked with him years earlier, then certainly.

Sorry missed this. Yeah he was immense wasn't he. I only recall one mistake which was at Anfield.

He was. Hes had a few bad seasons for us and they were costly. Its weird how people chose to forget that.
It seems like he has turned the page now and i hope its permanent and not just form. Much credit to Jordan.
He wasn't.

As many others have pointed out, a few mistakes doesn't mean he's "crap".

In a parallel universe, where English footballers are merely incompetent at penalty kicks, Pickford's saves in the Euro 2020 penalty shoot-out - particularly the incredible stop from Jorginho - make him Sir Jordan Pickford, a man with a future in the House of Lords.

In a parallel universe, where English footballers are merely incompetent at penalty kicks, Pickford's saves in the Euro 2020 penalty shoot-out - particularly the incredible stop from Jorginho - make him Sir Jordan Pickford, a man with a future in the House of Lords.
He was so unlucky that day, incredible effort in the game and then saving two pens in a final and still not winning the cup.

The big improvement with Pickford has been his mental improvements during the game. He used to instil zero confidence because we would rush out unconvincingly and flap at ball a lot more and be constantly shouting about not much. Now he’s still very vocal but it’s more about telling everyone to calm down and how he’s got this and it’s ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.