2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come through a hell of a time since "that" incident,I saw it actually mentioned in black and white in the build up to the game last night for the first time about the death threats, enormous strength of character he has shown,I just worry for the lad there still appears to be a witch-hunt out there for him in the media,evidenced again yesterday almost as if they are looking for anything of note they can jump on about him, who knows how fragile his own mental state still is currently?,I'm not saying he should be given a free ride, just he should be praised for his level of consistency and cut some slack.
Well said I’ve been one of his biggest critics. I still he can work on commanding the box but his form since Christmas compared to his time under Silva has been like night and day. He has massively improved his mental side and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Maybe Olsen been introduced contributed to his upturn in form too.

Commentary from those who purportedly are expert is all over the place re: was it a save he “should” have made, did he position himself properly, did he use the correct hand etc. seems like the majority view is that it was a stellar shot and you tip your cap. That’s where I am. Most keepers get beat by that kick most of the time.

To me the bigger issue is that after looking unflappable the whole tournament- in a manner which drew attention because it was so contrary to the public image of JP as a head case- he looked nervous and unsettled. Fair point imo. That the whole side looked that way at times and his back four did him no favors with their play on the ball might be true but doesn’t change that he’s got a track record of erratic behavior between the sticks. despite that he quietly ended the season strongly and has been a rock the whole tourney, a display like that is going to get the negative nellys out on social media. Especially since it came in the semifinals, it’s fair game to think that as the stakes get higher and the pressure increases his old habits might resurface.

the way for JP to shut them up is to play with composure.

really? it was that good huh
Listen am not trying to make out am a super a blue and your not but say to a 100 blues Nevs save at Spurs and a 100 well 99 now will smile back at you and tell you there story either I was there or I had it on the radio. It basically killed Spurs challenge that season and made us champions ‘loads on YouTube about our 85 season genuine winners every last one of them.

Commentary from those who purportedly are expert is all over the place re: was it a save he “should” have made, did he position himself properly, did he use the correct hand etc. seems like the majority view is that it was a stellar shot and you tip your cap. That’s where I am. Most keepers get beat by that kick most of the time.

To me the bigger issue is that after looking unflappable the whole tournament- in a manner which drew attention because it was so contrary to the public image of JP as a head case- he looked nervous and unsettled. Fair point imo. That the whole side looked that way at times and his back four did him no favors with their play on the ball might be true but doesn’t change that he’s got a track record of erratic behavior between the sticks. despite that he quietly ended the season strongly and has been a rock the whole tourney, a display like that is going to get the negative nellys out on social media. Especially since it came in the semifinals, it’s fair game to think that as the stakes get higher and the pressure increases his old habits might resurface.

Probably the most objective and balanced post I’ve ever seen on this thread.

Id go along with that. There is quite clearly a vast improvement in his game regards his temperament. But i see now more than ever he is a marked man when it comes to criticism. The italian keepers kicking the other night v spain was suspect to say the least. Be interested if he comes under the same microscope as pickford back in italy.
Im as guilty as anyone else writing him off around this time last year.
But his temperament from the turn of the year is so far removed from the previous few years ive completely changed my mind.
See keepers week in week out slice a clearence. Nothing big made of it. Pickford does it and its his heads gone.
He may have to live with that because of previous years.
As long as he keeps seeing this sports pyschologist he's more than good enough for Everton.

FWIW I have sent the following to RTE's George Hamilton, who hosts a classical music programme, but is also the main Soccer commentator:

To: george.hamilton@rte.ie <george.hamilton@rte.ie>
Subject:Fw: Dreadful Soccer Bias

Hi George,

I normally contact you as a Wagnerite and general lover of classical music.

However, I received an auto reply from RTE to the mail below suggesting I contact the individual presenter.

Suffice to say, Irish Everton fans are seething at the comments made by the "experts" about Jordan Pickford.

I used to have a lot of time for your co-commentator Ray Houghton, but that has now disappeared.

The studio "Heads" are a disgrace, and Liam Brady really disappointed me in failing to contradict Hamann and Sadlier.

I am following soccer since I was brought to Milltown as a child in the late 60s.

Pickford is not perfect, but some of the comments made are unacceptable.

Golden Glove???

Paul McKiernan

(met you in the Galloping Green c 1989)

Sent: Friday 9 July 2021 08:27
To: info@rte.ie <info@rte.ie>
Subject:Dreadful Soccer Bias

Dear Sir/ Madam

I am very annoyed at the complete and unjustified slating of Jordan Pickford by the RTE panellists Didier Hamann and Sadlier, as well as the co-commentator Ray Houghton.

Their clear dislike of the man comes through every time they get a chance to criticise him.

I will happily point out the following for this excellent player:

https://www.sportbible.com/football...2020-golden-glove-after-stellar-tour-20210707

He has just broken Gordon Banks' decades old tournament record but

"You can't have a keeper like this and lift the European Championship " Hamann

"Not a surprise....the four or five games we have seen are not a big enough sample...he's been a liability tonight" Sadlier

Pathetic, biased, and clearly hating anything to do with Everton.

Jordan Pickford Will Win The Euro 2020 Golden Glove After Stellar Tournament
Going into tonight's semi-final with Denmark at Wembley, England's No.1 is yet to concede a goal - having kept five consecutive clean sheets in the tournament. Donnarumma kept Turkey, Switzerland ...
www.sportbible.com

The Muller miss was down to Pickford narrowing the angles, limiting and rushing Mullers decision, the Havertz one was right at him because he was positioned correctly.
The free kick should of been disallowed because of the moving wall ‘trick’ the Danish played.
Yes his distribution was poor in the last game and I’m on pins every time it gets passed back to him, but he’s done well, an Everton player in the final, support him ffs.

Fair play to George

I'm sorry you were sent around the houses in trying to make your point. I read what you had to say with interest. I note you didn't include me.

I would have mentioned Jordan's uncertainty on the night, but you can't argue with all those clean sheets, which included several magnificent saves.

Also, I've been doing the post-match interviews, and he came across as a really genuine, decent guy.

I've forwarded your mail to both the Editor of our EURO2020 coverage, and the Group Head of Sport.

Maybe you'd be good enough to let me know if you get any response.

Kind regards.

George.

Anyone who thinks Pickford has been anything short of excellent this tournament is completely delusional.
He's been warming up in the QF and SF: rushing out of his penalty area when Walker had made up the ground on the Ukrainian forward and slicing it to an opponent; then rolling the ball out of his hands to a Danish player on the edge of the 18 yard box.

He's going to do something ridiculous in the final.

Anyone who thinks Pickford has been anything short of excellent this tournament is completely delusional.
He’s been very good but was average against the Danes
Made more errors than anyone else in the team, his distribution was woeful.
If it has been alinson, we’d have been much more cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.