2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. Maybe not. And given that we need to sell this summer, he'd be first out the door with a big price on him as far as I'm concerned.
Who's going to buy such a terrible keeper for such a large fee? After all, the premier league isn't a big enough stage for him to pick his game up is it...

Who's going to buy such a terrible keeper for such a large fee? After all, the premier league isn't a big enough stage for him to pick his game up is it...
I didn't say he was a terrible keeper. I said he is for Everton. Another team playing for honours would probably focus his mind.

I didn't say he was a terrible keeper. I said he is for Everton. Another team playing for honours would probably focus his mind.

I think he's also suffered from not having one manager who believes in him and supports him. He's an automatic starter most of the time, but otherwise it seems to me he's one of those players who needs a team, some passion, some energy, and leadership, and he ups his game. The England team has been united, passionate and fought for each other - we have had none of that since he has been here. if we get the Everton spirit finally, he'll do much better consistently for us.

I think he's also suffered from not having one manager who believes in him and supports him. He's an automatic starter most of the time, but otherwise it seems to me he's one of those players who needs a team, some passion, some energy, and leadership, and he ups his game. The England team has been united, passionate and fought for each other - we have had none of that since he has been here. if we get the Everton spirit finally, he'll do much better consistently for us.
That sounds like an awful lot of things have to fall into place before Everton get a consistent perfromance out of Pickford.

Easier to sell him.

His family threw a welcome home party and kopites saying it's embarrassing because we didn't win. Some people are just clueless aren't they.

Absolutely bizarre you think he can only play well under pressure of playing for trophies? Playing to try to qualify for the Champions League qualification places isn't a big enough goal for him to concentrate? Playing to win the first club cup in 25 odd years isn't enough pressure for him to perform?

At a team playing for 'honours' as you call them, he's likely to have a much better team in front of him, meaning being called into action much less (a la England, maybe a save per game is required). That doesn't make him a better goalkeeper for them.

De Gea was class when United were strong, able to make that one good save per game that he was likely to face. Him, Ederson, Allison, Henderson, Leno, Kepa, Lloris etc have all made several recent big mistakes on a par with anything Pickford has done... Seems to me they're only great goalkeepers when they're going for 'honours' too.

That sounds like an awful lot of things have to fall into place before Everton get a consistent perfromance out of Pickford.

Easier to sell him.

Yeah, but all those things have to fall into place for us to be successful. The last time we had a team unit, we didn't have more than 5 good players in the side, but had leaders and fighters. Now we have some talent, but no leadership and fight. So in our current status we need players to grow with us, and we can tolerate their weaknesses....when we make the next step we can upgrade, right?

Our back line has been a pick and mix for too long. A consistent back four or three and our defence, including Pickford, will be fine. I still think he’s too short, but he appears to be back to his best atm….

Trust Evertonians to want to get rid when he's played himself into the form of his life over the last 5-6 months lol

Weird bunch, us lot.
But I do not agree with the narrative. I checked the statistics for the last 5-6 months, and it is not the case that JP has performed better than expected. There were articles in February that JP was a weak link in Everton, and the goalkeeper debate on the national team lasted almost until the European Championships. There is no indication that JP has performed at a high level for 5-6 months. On the other hand, he has played better than the previous months of the season - which was not very impressive.

I also do not mean that we should work actively to sell him, but if we get a good offer, we should consider it. He has delivered a good European Championship, and his market price will probably never be as high as now.

But I do not agree with the narrative. I checked the statistics for the last 5-6 months, and it is not the case that JP has performed better than expected. There were articles in February that JP was a weak link in Everton, and the goalkeeper debate on the national team lasted almost until the European Championships. There is no indication that JP has performed at a high level for 5-6 months. On the other hand, he has played better than the previous months of the season - which was not very impressive.

I also do not mean that we should work actively to sell him, but if we get a good offer, we should consider it. He has delivered a good European Championship, and his market price will probably never be as high as now.
Stopped reading there.

If you can't see with your own eyes how good he has been recently then there's no convincing you. He has pulled both Everton and England through some difficult situations recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.