2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have something to do with the fact that we have a poor goals against record this season. Now that could be our CB (which everyone thinks are great) maybe they are actually not or maybe it's down to Pickford making too many mistakes. He has been prone to errors now for a while and i think most of us would sell if an offer came in. Half of the problem in this country is we overhype players so much, i mean i could go through the whole England team and would change half of it tbh.

A stat I would like to see is how many goals we concede from just outside the area and the comparison to other clubs. We seem to concede from that distance far more. I am not saying they are all Pickford's fault though. As a team we seem to allow shots from that distance far more then other clubs do.

A stat I would like to see is how many goals we concede from just outside the area and the comparison to other clubs. We seem to concede from that distance far more. I am not saying they are all Pickford's fault though. As a team we seem to allow shots from that distance far more then other clubs do.
Up until a few weeks ago he had conceded the most goals from outside the area in the league

I was on board with the Pope train until quite recently, but he’s shown himself to be another overrated one I think.

His main positive was “better than Pickford”, which somehow people have took to mean he’s actually good. On recent form, if anything, Pickford’s better.

The best way to look at the Pope situation would be to ask yourself is he better, I'd argue the differences are marginal and therefore not worth the outlay. If we replace JP it needs to be of a better standard completely, Pop doesn't tick that box even if you think he is the better of the two. Not enough to splurge out on.

Up until a few weeks ago he had conceded the most goals from outside the area in the league
To me though that does not necessarily mean he has been at fault for them and it could be down to the fact that we let other teams have so many shots from just outside the area. If we defend that area better it reduces the shots and the goals conceded.

To me though that does not necessarily mean he has been at fault for them and it could be down to the fact that we let other teams have so many shots from just outside the area. If we defend that area better it reduces the shots and the goals conceded.

He’s also conceded a few that were worldies, only a defender could have helped with a few of them. That one scored by WBA in the 5-2 was all class, for example

The best way to look at the Pope situation would be to ask yourself is he better, I'd argue the differences are marginal and therefore not worth the outlay. If we replace JP it needs to be of a better standard completely, Pop doesn't tick that box even if you think he is the better of the two. Not enough to splurge out on.
That i would probably agree, if you want to replace Pickford you would need a keeper way better, and Pope is not way better or even close to better to me, Pope make's errors like all but he is not the England number 1 so they dont get talked about as well as not been at a big club, Pope is getting so called good reviews because he has 6 England clean sheets in 6 games which is fair enough till you see the last 2 he had nothing to do at all while 2 of the other 4 are 25min and 45mins games - But i dont even think we will be signing a new keeper and its always been about a number 2 which looks like it may be Olsen, and now the way virginia played v City has me thinking Carlo will go a for a keeper even less than he maybe would have to me, but you never know

He’s also conceded a few that were worldies, only a defender could have helped with a few of them. That one scored by WBA in the 5-2 was all class, for example
That was a goal he should save as he was standing the wrong place going by some on here lol as well as he should save some of the other wonder goals

Last edited:
Not checked in a while but last year we were one of the best sides in the league for letting fewest shots from distance at goal yet he still had for one of the worst save % in the league and conceded most from long range

Status
Not open for further replies.