2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im uncertain as to what has happened with him

Not sure if its poor management, personal life, goalkeeping coach or the defence.

Positive i take from it is that hes not as bad as Tim Howard despite the bandwagon.
Howard only cost us a goal every few games and actually saved shots even at his worst... Pickford is every game and doesn’t even bail us out to compensate for it.

Pickford is an average keeper. Thought he did ok yesterday when I watched the match live When I say ok he didn't do any stupid things.
Watching the goal.again on MOTD although Mina is totally at fault Pickford should have come out to narrow the angle. Once again the shot is very close to him and actually goes through his grasping hands. Poor keeping again

First goal is another one of those ones that isn't an error but also something that a good keeper should keep out from time to time. He never does.
This is it really.

All goalkeepers make mistakes (some more than others) but the thing that has concerned me for a while about Pickford is the routine stuff where you think "hmmm could he have done better there?"

We also seem to concede an awful lot of deflected goals for some reason.

This is it really.

All goalkeepers make mistakes (some more than others) but the thing that has concerned me for a while about Pickford is the routine stuff where you think "hmmm could he have done better there?"

We also seem to concede an awful lot of deflected goals for some reason.

I don't like to defend Jordan too much, but what you are saying is that he should have known that Mina was going to get totally bamboozled by some Joe Average and then make no attempt to put in any kind of recovery tackle/block?

There does seem to be some serious lack of voice in our backline, perhaps that why Carlo rushed Mason straight back in to the starting X1 last week. For their 2nd goal, neither Keane or Mina are marking anyone, exactly the same as what happened against Utd for Fernades headed goal - Its criminal

I don't like to defend Jordan too much, but what you are saying is that he should have known that Mina was going to get totally bamboozled by some Joe Average and then make no attempt to put in any kind of recovery tackle/block?

There does seem to be some serious lack of voice in our backline, perhaps that why Carlo rushed Mason straight back in to the starting X1 last week. For their 2nd goal, neither Keane or Mina are marking anyone, exactly the same as what happened against Utd for Fernades headed goal - Its criminal

No...I'm not saying that at all! I didn't mention that goal? I do worry that most shots against us just end up going in one way or another.

Agreed on the voice and just leadership in general. I was fuming with our second half showing, all it needed was a calm head to put their foot on the ball and slow things down but we kept panicking and just kept belting the ball back to them over and over again. Drives me mad.

Need a captain in there who can shout the odds, like Lyons, Ratters, Labone to name a few and a GK who commands the box like Nev.

Didn't think there was much, if anything, Jordan Pickford could have done about the second goal Fulham scored; since it was deflected past/over him.

With the first goal, I personally felt he may have been better coming out to block the shot rather than pretty much standing his ground then diving to try and make the save; Pickford did start to advance but then hesitated, maybe he had the incident with VVD playing in the back of his mind and it caused him to put the brakes on. Having said that, I do think it's a bit harsh to criticise Jordan for the goal, concidering the way our defence just allowed Fulham to pass their way through us and give De Cordova-Reid a free shot.

Not enough criticism or even abuse has been directed at him for his failure to get anywhere near that penalty at Fulham. Some people must be easing off.

I thought he could have done more on the shot for the goal. It’s the same criticism I had of Howard towards the end, either stay on your line or come all the way out and narrow the angle, but Pickford has started coming halfway then stopping, just makes it really easy for strikers to pick their spot then.

1. Pickford catches the ball
2. Pickford kicks the ball to the clouds, random place or straight to the opponent
3. DCL unsuccessfully tries to head the ball to gain possession
4. Possession is lost
5. Opponent starts a counterattack
6. Midfield and defensive line suffer
7. If we are lucky we don't concede a goal
7. Repeat from step 1

This never ending cycle is way too risky and needs to be broken. Pickford's distribution skills are very poor and that's one of the main reasons why our defense struggles so bad. He needs to distribute better for us to build the game from the back and SECURE POSSESSION. This is critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.