2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
B985D5B0-2BA7-43FC-ACA5-265824572F2F.jpeg

lol lol lol

No doubt Margetson has some hugely insightful retrospective observations on how Pickford would have saved both goals yesterday if his hands were symmetrical.

I see that he didn't really make any saves for England the other night either. Because he's a bad shot stopper. Who also makes boneheaded mistakes. So he's just really bad. It's a sad story really.

I see that he didn't really make any saves for England the other night either. Because he's a bad shot stopper. Who also makes boneheaded mistakes. So he's just really bad. It's a sad story really.
I mean Belgium had three shots on target.

The first goal was deflected and took it away from Pickford. He did get a finger on it so in that sense maybe he should be tipping it around the post, but it's a comfortable stop if not for the deflection.

Mertens' free-kick was brilliant. If he makes that save it's a world class stop (like the one he made against Colombia a few years ago for example).

I don't think he's good enough for us long term. It's crap because we invested big money and time in him and the lad's gone backwards in the last two years. While it's on him, I don't think he's been coached effectively at all in that time span either.

Just not sure pointing out that England got beat the other day is the best way to prove your point.

The first goal was deflected and took it away from Pickford. He did get a finger on it so in that sense maybe he should be tipping it around the post, but it's a comfortable stop if not for the deflection.

Mertens' free-kick was brilliant. If he makes that save it's a world class stop (like the one he made against Colombia a few years ago for example).

I don't think he's good enough for us long term. It's crap because we invested big money and time in him and the lad's gone backwards in the last two years. While it's on him, I don't think he's been coached effectively at all in that time span either.

Just not sure pointing out that England got beat the other day is the best way to prove your point.

This is the point. 3 shots 2 goals. A quality keeper certainly saves the first one, despite deflection & second one is a 50/50 for a quality keeper. JP was a foot away from it which says a lot.

For those who scoof at stats, this is why they matter, it's a microcosm of his poor save % brought to life in a single game

This is the point. 3 shots 2 goals. A quality keeper certainly saves the first one, despite deflection & second one is a 50/50 for a quality keeper. JP was a foot away from it which says a lot.

For those who scoof at stats, this is why they matter, it's a microcosm of his poor save % brought to life in a single game

Right...

I do agree with you on the first one. He gets a hand to it even with the deflection but I can't put the goal down to him. It's one of those he saves without the deflection, but because he's already going down can't adjust himself quickly enough.

Not really sure on the FK. It's got plenty of pace and power on it - if he pulls it off it's a top-class stop.

Not saying he's good enough. He's proving to be a liability for us but Ancelotti has pinned himself into a corner a bit.

Right...

I do agree with you on the first one. He gets a hand to it even with the deflection but I can't put the goal down to him. It's one of those he saves without the deflection, but because he's already going down can't adjust himself quickly enough.

Not really sure on the FK. It's got plenty of pace and power on it - if he pulls it off it's a top-class stop.

Not saying he's good enough. He's proving to be a liability for us but Ancelotti has pinned himself into a corner a bit.

Yea that's fair - I guessed (which is all you can do really) a top keeper is 50/50 to save it, not saying he definitely would.

Agreed re CA; for be he either needed to back him or sack him, this piecemeal approach of one in one out doesn't sit well. That said, there may have been extenuating circumstances we don't know about which brought him to that decision

Yea that's fair - I guessed (which is all you can do really) a top keeper is 50/50 to save it, not saying he definitely would.

Agreed re CA; for be he either needed to back him or sack him, this piecemeal approach of one in one out doesn't sit well. That said, there may have been extenuating circumstances we don't know about which brought him to that decision

I think you're a little harsh on that goal mate. 99% of keepers don't get a hand to that,especially with the deflection. If he saves it, it's a wonder save. He does that quite a bit as well, saves things he has no right too. Thats not the issue with Pickford though, it's too many inconsistencies.

As for Ancelotti, I don't see him backed into a corner at all. I atually think he's handling it quite well, he's been quite open and transparent. Lots of people suggested Olsen wouldn't play, I always felt he would, and I think he will play a lot more.

The question is going to be, given Pickford's fairly unblemished record at international, and his heroics at the last world cup, even if he is dropped, there is probably not another goalkeeper who can displace him at this point. Pope is very average. Henderson can't get a game. Ramsdale has been attrocious thus far for Sheffield United.

I think this is it mate. I've never really been a fan of him (there is probably a vault of me in 2018 saying we should sell him and bring Ben Foster in, to much chagrin). Even at his pinnacle, which was 2018, I wasn't convinced on Pickford. That 1st season he had, I don't even think he was very good, it's just the team around him was awful so he looked a bit better. So I am certainly not pro Pickford.

Some of the stuff now though just feels the other way with me. I think people have flipped to being a bit too critical. Maybe I just like being contrarian, but I think he's done ok in some games this season. Spurs away was very good. He made 2 or 3 world class saves in the derby (the one off Arnolds Free Kick was exceptional). He's very good with his feet.

I would replace him with Olsen, but I do think there are some criticism that are too harsh. I've seen people get on at him for the Maguire drop, whcih wasn't a mistake it was a clear foul!

He has top banter with Carlo. Or so Carlo says.

Nailed the number one spot. Kean when you come back from scoring 15 for PSG and a couple in the champions league you better work on the banter skills or it’s on the bench for Evertons push for top six next season.

I didn't watch the game or the highlights I just saw the first part. 3 shots on target, two goals. And if one was a free kick that means another shot from outside the box that has gone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.