2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how pickfords at fault here myself. My observations.
1st goal... Ball comes in, we have said Pickford needs to be more positive and command his box, he has done this, and punched it it clear through a crowd of bodies, then you have Newcastle player who is free and in acres (defensively this needs to be looked at as that shouldn’t be happening we are not defensively aware or what’s around us) who picks the ball up hits, it poor defending... and a goal.

2nd goal..from kick off.. ball comes to delph (you would rather pickford in this incident to boot it clear, waste time) who does a piss poor boot up field (just passed the half way line), ball then eventually goes up in the air, Tom Davies doesn’t even attempt to win the ball backs into the player needless free kick. Free kick is taking long ball Over the top of delph, Davies and digne... 3 players basically ball watching and not watching the man. Lands to Almiron who has all the time in the world to bring it down and shoot, bit of ping ball in the box, ball gets cleared Newcastle shoot, comes off DCL head, pickford has dived and the momentum has took him behind the goal, trying to save that shot, ball comes back Newcastle defender shoots, pickford saved but behind the line, goal given.

...But yeah it’s pickford fault.Catalogue of errors defensively even before the goals, some people just aren’t opening their eyes, defensively all season we have been so poor we are not aware of danger as back four, set pieces for 2 seasons now have been an Achilles heel. But we make pickford a scapegoat. I like him and don’t think he’s solely to blame, at the minute I actually feel sorry for him. There is a bigger problem, how many times did Sidibe miss place passes yesterday and give possession away and defensively LD is shocking.

Personal opinion too, I don’t think Digne should be captain it doesn’t work and he’s not a leader. How can you be when you can’t do a job defensively as a defender yet tell others. Doesn’t rub with me.

Carlo will get this team working with the right players, at the minute it’s square pegs in round holes in some positions.

Positives. Kean and DCL both scoring.

and for once MS had a decent game.

Bernard effective in spells but needs to be involved much more for me. He’s in and out of a game too much.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially in regards to Bernard, Schneiderlin, Kean and DCL, and even Digne, who has been poor.

But Pickford is a massive liability. These games change on small occurrences. They happen in games all of the time, like a late corner when you are 2-0 up and coasting. He comes and gets anything decent on that, or claims it, and the game is over. It wasn't a particularly dangerous corner, I've watched it back, and a decent keeper has that.

Pickford is awful at coming for crosses, 1 of his big weaknesses for me. I'm actually surprised when he catches them as it happens so Infrequently and this in itself gives team a lift every time we concede a corner, which in itself, gives us this "weak at set pieces" identity we currently have. Because the defenders don't have a clue which Pickford is gonna show up. The big head who comes and doesn't reach, the guy who stands bouncing on his line arguing and pushing a striker who Towers over him, or on the rare occasion, the level headed goalkeeper who is concentrating on the outcome of the set piece and realises if he jumps with his hands in the air, he should be reaching most things if he follows the track of the ball.

The defence has been pretty woeful since he joined, it's not a coincidence.

The greatest goalkeepers would happily leave the pitch with a clean sheet having had to make zero saves and only touching the ball at goal kicks. Or at most, they’re called into action only a handful of times but when it really matters they make a decisive save that seals the points for the team. Pickford wants to make save after save after save for the cameras. Me, me, me with him. Needs binning in the summer but unfortunately a new goalkeeper probably isn’t a headache Brands wants to add to the list of transfers we need.

Yep, indeed. Personally I don't want to see him just sold off, I'd rather that someone had talks with him about his antics first, even if it meant having him sit down with a psychologist, or whatever they're called.

I like the lad & have genuinely wanted him to do well since we signed, but has he actually improved? Thats the biggest worry/issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.