2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ball should never be beating a keeper and hitting the bar in the middle of the goal, it just looks weird. Happens all the time with this lad, the only keeper who gets smaller when he stretches.

Robles was at least as good a GK as Pickford. Just by way of a measuring stick.

Robles was shocking mate.

Too much Rom esque scapegoating of Pickford on here.

He isnt great but neither are we so until we get our act together and get back into Europe I doubt we'll be attracting a Neuer or Allison to join anytime soon.

Robles was shocking mate.

Too much Rom esque scapegoating of Pickford on here.

He isnt great but neither are we so until we get our act together and get back into Europe I doubt we'll be attracting a Neuer or Allison to join anytime soon.
Pickford is at best bang average, at worst a calamity.

His positioning for long range shots is appalling; he cant command his area, and his distribution is getting worse by the week.

There are very few parts of his game that recommend him as a GK for this club.

What are his strengths in your opinion?

Keeping the Faith lad ;)
B467EB4F-BE91-4B91-8112-5FB0E9443C79.jpeg

He's slipped a bit of late maybe but I'm surprised you wouldn't take De Gea for one.

couldn’t decide about him, just don’t think he’s the same player anymore
Would be interested in where people rate Jordan in the 20 premier league keepers

couldn’t decide about him, just don’t think he’s the same player anymore

I agree he seems to have slipped. Not sure whether that's a permanent thing or not. I've a sneaking suspicion that the way the game is going, with keepers playing more and more as outfield players, doesn't play to his strengths. As a straight shot stopper over the past few years he's been immense.
Would be interested in where people rate Jordan in the 20 premier league keepers

I think I was reading a Southall interview recently where he talked about positioning and anticipation and how most of the time he was trying to make sure that he didn't have to pull off a world class save, the trick was making sure you or your defenders were in the right place to kill the chance off before it was necessary.

Obviously when it was then there wasn't anyone better and I understand why people feel it's an unfair comparison to make, but it's the area where Pickford really doesn't impress me. He reminds me a bit of Shay Given who also used to make two or three spectacular saves per game. You either applaud the saves or you begin to question why they needed to be made.

I think Pickford is a great highlights keeper but ultimately those amazing saves flatter to deceive. So I'd have him in the lower half of current PL keepers. Not the worst by any means, but not in or threatening that very top echelon, De Gea, Ederson, Allison, Schmeichel, maybe Patricio from Wolves and the Lloris of a couple of years back also, though he was more prone than most to drop a clanger.

I get when Dave and others say they want him replacing, it's just that there's other more pressing priorities in the side and I still hope that he has the potential to improve and sooner that happens here and we get the benefit of it. With better decision making he could yet get to the top bracket.

Pickford is at best bang average, at worst a calamity.

His positioning for long range shots is appalling; he cant command his area, and his distribution is getting worse by the week.

There are very few parts of his game that recommend him as a GK for this club.

What are his strengths in your opinion?

Im not saying he's top quality mate - I just dont think there are many top GK's out there in general these days and the rare few are at CL/elite clubs.

Like Rom and Gana who some couldnt wait to leave there is always the possibility who we replace them with is no better or turns out worse.

There are far more players that we need booting out the door before Pickford imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.