2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as he not in great form at the minute he's a premier league goalie with World Cup experience so in all fairness mate I think he knows the basics

He doesn't seem to know when to turn a ball around the post rather than back into play. I know he did that with the header at Burnley but that seemed to have more to do with the angle of the header. Against Spurs he repeatedly parried the ball back into the box.

He also seems to lose concentration immediately after making a good stop, and it is costing us. Hopefully the coaches can work on these obvious flaws.

The lad's thick.
Which is a bit much coming from a Barkley stan. Barkley makes Pickford look like a genius.

Shame he only let one goal in though. You must be disappointed.
He's had a bad few weeks, a number of high profile unforced errors. Really great keepers don't make a lot of mistakes. I can't remember Nev making many mistakes.

Hopefully he becomes a great for us but he's nowhere near that level yet. It may be a lack of maturity. He got way too much credit/adulation in the world cup and that has probably gone to his head a little.
Didn't Howard go down the toilet after the World Cup as well?

He doesn't seem to know when to turn a ball around the post rather than back into play. I know he did that with the header at Burnley but that seemed to have more to do with the angle of the header. Against Spurs he repeatedly parried the ball back into the box.
Maybe he's been told to minimise corners. After all we don't defend set pieces very well do we?

hopefully this period teaches him a bit of humility, less showboating, less nasty needless 'tackles', less goading of oppo fans and stupid comments in the press and a bit of communication and understanding with his defenders, not just screaming at them pointlessly before he has earned that status.

There's still time for him to become a good player

This. Threads like this always seem to demand a finite decision on whether he’s good and should stay or is garbage and should go.

The reality is that he’s young (in GK terms), and has an abundance of raw, natural talent. He’s got a thick skin and loads of confidence which I think serves GKs uniquely well, however confidence has spilled over into arrogance and has cost him a few times of late.

If he learns from his mistakes and becomes better, he’s our guy, if he doesn’t then he’s not. I suspect that clarity will take at least the rest of the season to arrive.

Just rewatched the goals from the Spurs game for the first time after seeing them live at the game (don't ask me why). I am actually a Pickford fan but would say he could have done better with 5 out of the 6, with only Kane's 6th being one I don't think he could have done much about.

The first goal was obvious to everyone and just shouldn't happen at Premier league level.

Ali's shot from the edge of the box after the rebound was actually much closer to him than I thought, and he had time to get up a reset himself.

Eriksen's volley was a great strike, and you certainly wouldn't fully blame any keeper for conceding it, but I just noticed rewatching it that Pickford was actually on that side of the goal, meaning although it was in the corner it was actually closer to him than you might have thought. Eriksen also had plenty of time to set himself and you could read from his body language where he was likely to put it. When talking about Pickford's strengths & weaknesses I think most people would say shot stopping is a strength - and for that reason for both Erkisen and Ali's goals I would hope he could have done better.

Kane rebound - similar to the above, he doesn't get down to the freekick to deal with it, and once it rebounds anything can happen.

Son one on one - he's out quickly to Son and faces him up, and from the angle behind the goal you can see he's made it difficult for Son, but then gets beaten between his legs.

I know he was left very exposed at times by his defence, but I can't say he is without blame for the goals either - and it has got me thinking.

I thought Joe Hart was very poor in a similar way (but worse) against us on Boxing Day, particularly for Digne's free kick when he almost dived in slow motion. Hart is a prime example of how quickly a keepers stock can fall - he was England number one but he's rapidly become a bit of a journeyman and certainly wouldn't command much of a transfer fee now despite his considerable achievements with City. With regards to Pickford it is clear he has natural talent and can perform capably, but he is probably going through the most challenging period of his career right now, so I would say the second half of this season is make or break for him - he could certainly turn things around but he is also in a much more precarious position now than he has ever been, as for the first time in his career he is carrying the weight of genuine expectation. His stock is very high at the moment due to the World Cup, but even for England he was almost found out in the friendly against Spain when he was lucky not to concede a penalty ,and it would only take a few errors for England like those we have recently seen for Everton and his star will rapidly start falling. With that in mind, if Pickford can consistently perform in the second half of the season and significantly reduce his errors, great, but if he can't I think we need to seriously consider moving him on whilst he can still command a decent fee. Joe Hart, Chris Kirkland, Paul Robinson, Fraser Forster.. there are plenty of examples of highly thought of keepers who's stock very quickly fell, so let's hope Pickford doesn't end up in the same list.

£30mil probably looked like an overpayment when we signed Pickford, and then post World Cup it looked a snip - we are somewhere inbetween now I would guess, and it will be very interesting to see where we end up come the end of the season.

Doesn't look like mate because we're supposedly the team in the prem who have had the most corners, yet have only scored from 2.
Set pieces have been questionable as well. I heard on the radio that Digne's two free kicks have been the first goals from direct-free kicks since back in 2016.

I didn't believe it had been that long - perhaps 2017 - but that's what was mentioned on Talk Sport.

Set pieces have been questionable as well. I heard on the radio that Digne's two free kicks have been the first goals from direct-free kicks since back in 2016.

I didn't believe it had been that long - perhaps 2017 - but that's what was mentioned on Talk Sport.

2016 doesn't sound right mate. Saying that though, we supposedly have one of the bossest set piece takers ever in Sigurdsson! (so I've been told) so it could have been 2016.

It was correct, Lukakus free kick against Palace at home I think it was @LouReedwalkonthewildside

The most productive corner seems to be peeling off at the back post. Generally highlighted as the Harry Kane position. Coinicidently, worked for Burnley too. He actually avoided being marked by standing on our post hiding in clear sight.

It’s becoming popular from free kicks swung in from outside the box. The player usually peels off just as it’s about to be taken leaving 2 on 1 at the back stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.