2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not giving up on him yet, but it is a shame we don't have anyone to push him for that position. If he was playing for any of the top 6, the media would be tearing him apart at the moment.

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison of mistakes made by prem; goalies? Dropped/Missed crosses, spilled shots, passing/throwing to opposotion and the likes.
I'm sure other goalies have made mistakes like JP, whether a mistake costs a goal is usually down to good or bad luck imo.

I think most top class keepers tend to be arrogant and a little bit nutty, I bet Nev would think his attitude is spot on, to be the best you need to believe you're the best in that particular position. Unfortunately it's a position that shows every mistake and highlights it. he's a good keeper and hopefully just a loss of form is happening

To be honest, there is a heck of a difference berween Nev believing he was the best and this fellow thinking it about himself now.

No, they dont tend or need to be arrogant. They might be a character, many of them are. But the good ones build their reputation on consistently sound performances. This feller is unprofessiuoal and clearly out of control.

If his bad form continues, expect the likes of Adrian Durham and Martin Samuels to start looking for excuses and point the finger at the defenders in front of him.....and hint that he might need to “leave Everton” to progress his career for England.

To be honest, there is a heck of a difference berween Nev believing he was the best and this fellow thinking it about himself now.
I was just about to post along these lines, he's a good young keeper who is going through a period where his confidence is being tested. If he comes through, he'll be very good. Don't forget Nev has his tricky spells early on and went out on loan periods.

I think most top class keepers tend to be arrogant and a little bit nutty, I bet Nev would think his attitude is spot on, to be the best you need to believe you're the best in that particular position. Unfortunately it's a position that shows every mistake and highlights it. he's a good keeper and hopefully just a loss of form is happening
Some goalies are a bit eccentric but top class 'keepers take themselves very seriously and perfect their art to their best. I disagree about Neville Southall as he got on with his game quietly giving his very best without thinking he was the best. Theres clearly a difference. He was never arsed with opinion or big-noting himself anyway nor had any vanity issues. I even wondered what he thought on here straight after Sunday's match.

No, they dont tend or need to be arrogant. They might be a character, many of them are. But the good ones build their reputation on consistently sound performances. This feller is unprofessiuoal and clearly out of control.

I can certainly see your points of view, he's definitely bordering on caricature at the moment, he maybe frustrated. I think social media is the difference, we are exposed to the players personality much more than before. Hopefully he'll settle down because he does have the ability, it would be a shame if he wasted it trying to be in the popular crowd.

Or I could be way off and he's way too big for hisboots, time will tell i guess but GK is a position where too many mistakes will be punished.

Some goalies are a bit eccentric but top class 'keepers take themselves very seriously and perfect their art to their best. I disagree about Neville Southall as he got on with his game quietly giving his very best without thinking he was the best. Theres clearly a difference. He was never arsed with opinion or big-noting himself anyway nor had any vanity issues. I even wondered what he thought on here straight after Sunday's match.

I wasn't meaning it as in a direct comparison, used to be a saying in football that GKs were all a bit mad and it's probably not madness just an unwavering belief in their abilities, who knows.

People saying he needs to go back to basics, problem is he doesn't know the basics, pure for the cameras keeper
As much as he not in great form at the minute he's a premier league goalie with World Cup experience so in all fairness mate I think he knows the basics

I wasn't meaning it as in a direct comparison, used to be a saying in football that GKs were all a bit mad and it's probably not madness just an unwavering belief in their abilities, who knows.
I know. But "a little bit mad" is ok in a keeper as opposed to unjustified over confidence. He needs to calm the hyperactivity down and do some proper research on the justifiable greats. Maybe that will enable the circus around him to wind down.

I know. But "a little bit mad" is ok in a keeper as opposed to unjustified over confidence. He needs to calm the hyperactivity down and do some proper research on the justifiable greats. Maybe that will enable the circus around him to wind down.

Just to play devils advocate, the media and fans have really gone to town on the hype train because of the world cup, at 24years of age, it probably has inflated his ego, we now need to see the real Jordan Pickford, can he swim or will he sink under his own hype, we'll find out, plenty of really good keepers have never recovered from really poor runs of form but he has time on his side and he is still making saves, he hasn't completely lost it, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.