2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but I would think most of us rate Pickfords defence a lot higher than the one Robles had in front of him.

Like so many said before me, stats doesnt prove anything, but its still worrysome. I get some in here think I despise Pickford, but I really dont, I just want Everton to have a legit, high end keeper. If he becomes that, perfect, but he’s not there yet, and we need better until he is.

We won’t get a high end keeper in the same way we won’t get a high end striker.

We are not high end.

I agree, but I would think most of us rate Pickfords defence a lot higher than the one Robles had in front of him.

Like so many said before me, stats doesnt prove anything, but its still worrysome. I get some in here think I despise Pickford, but I really dont, I just want Everton to have a legit, high end keeper. If he becomes that, perfect, but he’s not there yet, and we need better until he is.

Individually and potential there is debate to be had about a better defence for Pickford, however, listen or talk to any professional footballer, a settled back line is priority for keeper and his defence. Until we have settled personal at back let alone a formation in defence, much can be (rightly in my opinion) deflected away from Pickford lack of performance and ability.

There's a lot of rubbish being talked on here by people who have obviously never played in goal, or watch football from a tactical perspective.

Liverpool's goalkeeper is being lauded as amazing. How many shots on goal, from clear goalscoring positions, either in the box or clean through on goal, have you seen him make? I can think of 4 or 5. How many of those would Pickford or Ben Foster have made? Probably 3 or 4. The difference is, he knows his job. He plays high up the pitch behind a defence that knows it's job.

Goalkeepers don't save many shots these days, De Gea excepted. Although you will notice that he has let a load of goals in this season when the defence has been poor. Do you think there's a thread on Man Utd's forum saying they should get rid of him?

Pickford is a decent goalkeeper, who is obviously not being given clear instruction on how to play, playing behind a defence that also has no idea how it plays. His positional sense is moderate, he is in the wrong starting position about 50% of the time. Robles had the worst positional sense of any Everton goalie I've seen, and I watched Paul Gerrard, Dai Davies and David Lawson!!

He is a decent shot stopper, which is half of the job of a modern goalkeeper. None of them come to catch crosses unless they're definitely getting there, none of them hold shots anymore due to the balls flying all over the place. They are half sweeper, half shot stopper and you can count the number of good keepers on the fingers of 1 hand.

If we had a better coach, I think you would see a lot of improvement from Pickford.

There's a lot of rubbish being talked on here by people who have obviously never played in goal, or watch football from a tactical perspective.

Liverpool's goalkeeper is being lauded as amazing. How many shots on goal, from clear goalscoring positions, either in the box or clean through on goal, have you seen him make? I can think of 4 or 5. How many of those would Pickford or Ben Foster have made? Probably 3 or 4. The difference is, he knows his job. He plays high up the pitch behind a defence that knows it's job.

Goalkeepers don't save many shots these days, De Gea excepted. Although you will notice that he has let a load of goals in this season when the defence has been poor. Do you think there's a thread on Man Utd's forum saying they should get rid of him?

Pickford is a decent goalkeeper, who is obviously not being given clear instruction on how to play, playing behind a defence that also has no idea how it plays. His positional sense is moderate, he is in the wrong starting position about 50% of the time. Robles had the worst positional sense of any Everton goalie I've seen, and I watched Paul Gerrard, Dai Davies and David Lawson!!

He is a decent shot stopper, which is half of the job of a modern goalkeeper. None of them come to catch crosses unless they're definitely getting there, none of them hold shots anymore due to the balls flying all over the place. They are half sweeper, half shot stopper and you can count the number of good keepers on the fingers of 1 hand.

If we had a better coach, I think you would see a lot of improvement from Pickford.

People won’t read this because it’s a long post.

It’s 100% accurate though.

I counted 2 better keepers on 1 pitch last night and they were both 2ND choice

Kepa is first choice and currently the most expensive keeper in the world. The other one is Gazzaniga, does anyone really want him? If Lloris played in goal for us this fan base would utterly hate him. Pickford is a lot better than Joel or Howard were towards the end and every clubs keeper makes mistakes. Bizarrely we are probably the most hypercritical of them whilst the blerts over the park just ignore all the ones theirs make.

Status
Not open for further replies.