2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this discussion on a page lost further back. He did save a penalty, and a good one v one Vs Bournemouth etc in the past which we went on to win. I have no doubt he affected those games...

However... Pickford has yet to have a game that would have the opposition fans come away saying 'ah it was just one of those days, Pickford was unstoppable' - whereas I find ourselves saying this quite a lot in the past in regards to opposition goalkeepers. How many times has Cech or somebody seemed unbeatable on the day and singlehandedly taken his team to the result?

In fairness though mate, how many games do we have where you think "christ they've had loads of shots today"? The only one this season was Spurs.

That's not to say Pickford needs to be better, but I don't think he's going to have too many of those games, as we don't concede that many shots. Oddly I did have games when he was at Sunderland where I thought he won them points with the number of saves he made. He faced a lot more too though.

He has been a bit ropey all season really. But definitely since then it’s gone right downhill.
That could be said for almost every player on the team as well. Tubey said it best- this club is absolutely poison atm. The fact that we let the season get this out of hand over one measly point speaks volumes about how fragile we are mentally. It isn’t just Pickford.

In fairness though mate, how many games do we have where you think "christ they've had loads of shots today"? The only one this season was Spurs.

That's not to say Pickford needs to be better, but I don't think he's going to have too many of those games, as we don't concede that many shots. Oddly I did have games when he was at Sunderland where I thought he won them points with the number of saves he made. He faced a lot more too though.
True, but then this just comes back to - have a few shots Vs Pickford and one will find its way in.

I've had this discussion on a page lost further back. He did save a penalty, and a good one v one Vs Bournemouth etc in the past which we went on to win. I have no doubt he affected those games...

However... Pickford has yet to have a game that would have the opposition fans come away saying 'ah it was just one of those days, Pickford was unstoppable' - whereas I find ourselves saying this quite a lot in the past in regards to opposition goalkeepers. How many times has Cech or somebody seemed unbeatable on the day and singlehandedly taken his team to the result?

None in recent years.

That could be said for almost every player on the team as well. Tubey said it best- this club is absolutely poison atm. The fact that we let the season get this out of hand over one measly point speaks volumes about how fragile we are mentally. It isn’t just Pickford.

The truest thing I’ve read in this thread. But Pickford gets it way worse because people have made their mind up about his ‘attitude’. Which they simply can’t know.

True, but then this just comes back to - have a few shots Vs Pickford and one will find its way in.
He has the ability, but he is wildly inconsistent. This is exactly why many keepers enter their prime in mid to early 30’s. Young keepers are always a massive gamble.

Anyway, it’s all pointless.

He’s not going anywhere, he’s playing crap like everyone else.

He’s just part of the problem.

But I hope he does leave soon just so I can enjoy people not slating whoever our next goalie is even though they’ll make mistakes too.

Spurs had 8 shots on target against us... 1 hit the post, he saved 1 and typically, pushed it back out from which they scored the rebound, and the other 6 went in.

If he was keeping us in these games by saving loads and conceding the odd 1, you could argue it was the defence, but often, teams are scoring with their only meaningful chances, and that's not even considering the mistakes he has made leading directly to goals. We had a similar situation with Howard near the end of his time here when teams were scoring almost every time they hit the target, which made our defence seem much worse than it was, but rather than seeing this, people jumped on the band wagon that his teams simply couldn't defend. Yet bizarrely, it stopped when Howard came out the team and was replaced by Joel. Every time.

This for me is where Martinez made his biggest error, and I was one of his supporters. He continued to stick by him, and other outfield players as well I might add, when it was obvious it was costing the team. Whether he couldn't see it, refused to believe it, or just continued to have blind faith it would work out for the best, it cost him, and us.

I hope Silva doesn't make the same mistake.

Spurs had 8 shots on target against us... 1 hit the post, he saved 1 and typically, pushed it back out from which they scored the rebound, and the other 6 went in.

If he was keeping us in these games by saving loads and conceding the odd 1, you could argue it was the defence, but often, teams are scoring with their only meaningful chances, and that's not even considering the mistakes he has made leading directly to goals. We had a similar situation with Howard near the end of his time here when teams were scoring almost every time they hit the target, which made our defence seem much worse than it was, but rather than seeing this, people jumped on the band wagon that his teams simply couldn't defend. Yet bizarrely, it stopped when Howard came out the team and was replaced by Joel. Every time.

This for me is where Martinez made his biggest error, and I was one of his supporters. He continued to stick by him, and other outfield players as well I might add, when it was obvious it was costing the team. Whether he couldn't see it, refused to believe it, or just continued to have blind faith it would work out for the best, it cost him, and us.

I hope Silva doesn't make the same mistake.

There is a chance, a small chance, that Silva might look to sell.

As with any player that was here before he got here, he’s not Silva’s player. The manager may want to bring in his own keeper.

Doubt it though.

There is a chance, a small chance, that Silva might look to sell.

As with any player that was here before he got here, he’s not Silva’s player. The manager may want to bring in his own keeper.

Doubt it though.
Sounds like the DoF doesn't think he's his type of GK given the moves he made in the summer to secure another one.

We've got a real problem defending the 6 yard box never mind the 18 yard and beyond.
It's appalling. The 6 yard box should be an opposition-free zone that we never allow anything to come into. As it stands we actually see our defence invite them in there, and a GK who thinks his job is to back off and off and off to his own goal line.

What sort of cowardly defending is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.