Joleon Lescott

Sell Lescott?

  • Yes, for £18m to £20m - with all money being given to Moyes to spend

    Votes: 116 45.0%
  • No way - we must keep him at the club.

    Votes: 142 55.0%

  • Total voters
    258
Status
Not open for further replies.

There were some nice flowers, but they hadnt been watered and they were wilting in the Sun, I dont think they will blossom in time.

Im liking that mate!

Im with Toccy, i trust articles with quotation marks! We really only know whats been said in the Rags - that said their primary objective is to bring honest and fact based truth to the footballing masses.
 
Im liking that mate!

Im with Toccy, i trust articles with quotation marks! We really only know whats been said in the Rags - that said their primary objective is to bring honest and fact based truth to the footballing masses.

So...who thinks he wants to stay and is staying?

And who thinks he's pretty much gone?
 
Im edgeing toward him staying at the mo - think Moyes is bloody minded enough and JoLo always struck me as a docile charicter.

If he was going to hand in a transfer request i think he would have done it by now, he would be a bit stupid doing it facing into two games at Goodison in a week or in fact facing into a season where he may be made stay.

I have a feeling Moyesy is working of princaple and is intending to make a point.
 

Im edgeing toward him staying at the mo - think Moyes is bloody minded enough and JoLo always struck me as a docile charicter.

If he was going to hand in a transfer request i think he would have done it by now, he would be a bit stupid doing it facing into two games at Goodison in a week or in fact facing into a season where he may be made stay.

I have a feeling Moyesy is working of princaple and is intending to make a point.

[media]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/6/23/1245776509783/Joleon-Lescott-001.jpg[/media]
 
As things look I think he'll stay and so far the only thing we know for a fact is that ManC have offered two bids to sign him. Rumours say he wants a transfer and perhaps he does. But unless he hands in a transfer request he won't leave and if he were really set on leaving he would have done so earlier.

Lescott haven't come out and said that he would want to leave, none of his teammates have said that he wants to leave either when they have been intervjued by the press. They have said that they hope he will stay and that can of course be interpreted both ways. But as far as we know Lescott might just sit back and shake his head at the headlines saying he will move to ManC.

I really hope that he won't get booed at the game against Malaga if he plays, since he has in fact done nothing to earn it. He's not obligated to go out and refute newspaper articles, much like Everton FC didn't refute the rumour of a takeover a few weeks back.

Yes, if he intended to stay he could have gone out and said so and end this rumour. But Lescott said in the beginning of the summer that he were an Everton player until told otherwise. So that might be all he wants to say on the matter, and focus on getting ready for the league start.
 

Graeme Sharp, who played up front for Everton in Howard Kendall's title-winning sides of 1984-85 and 1986-87, is certain that defender Joleon Lescott, heavily courted by Manchester City in recent weeks, will still be a Toffeeman by the time the new season begins on August 15.

Sharp thinks that manager David Moyes will not allow the player to leave when he is short of cover at centre-back, with Phil Jagielka sidelined for several months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury which could see him out until December.

"Joleon Lescott is tied to a contract. I know things are different now and things have changed in football, but going into the season two weeks away I'd expect Joleon Lescott to play the first game of the season here," Sharp told Sky Sports News.

"David [Moyes] took a chance on him when he was at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Got him here and got him into the England squad. So you've got to look at that.

"First and foremost David Moyes has got to look at his team. We are light for centre-backs. Young Jack Rodwell's played there in the last couple of pre-season games. I think David would be reluctant to put Jack into the first team at centre-back. He's still got an awful lot to learn in that position.

"So I think it's important to keep your better players and Joleon Lescott is one of those.

"If the Phil Jagielka situation was different, if we had Jagielka and Jospeh Yobo as our centre-backs, then you could see the possibility of Joleon moving on.

"But with Phil being out injured I think it's important Joleon stays at the football club. I think it'll benefit him.

"We're in Europe this year, and that'll improve him as a player as well. So there's a lot to look forward to at Everton.

"David's amassed a fantastic squad of young players, and he sees Joleon Lescott as part of that, and quite rightly so."

Meanwhile, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this evening confirmed that Everton had expressed an interest in signing Gunners centre-back Philippe Senderos, but the player remained an Arsenal man at present.

You can bet anything that Sharpy is in the know!
 
raeme Sharp, who played up front for Everton in Howard Kendall's title-winning sides of 1984-85 and 1986-87, is certain that defender Joleon Lescott, heavily courted by Manchester City in recent weeks, will still be a Toffeeman by the time the new season begins on August 15.

Sharp thinks that manager David Moyes will not allow the player to leave when he is short of cover at centre-back, with Phil Jagielka sidelined for several months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury which could see him out until December.

"Joleon Lescott is tied to a contract. I know things are different now and things have changed in football, but going into the season two weeks away I'd expect Joleon Lescott to play the first game of the season here," Sharp told Sky Sports News.

"David [Moyes] took a chance on him when he was at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Got him here and got him into the England squad. So you've got to look at that.

"First and foremost David Moyes has got to look at his team. We are light for centre-backs. Young Jack Rodwell's played there in the last couple of pre-season games. I think David would be reluctant to put Jack into the first team at centre-back. He's still got an awful lot to learn in that position.

"So I think it's important to keep your better players and Joleon Lescott is one of those.

"If the Phil Jagielka situation was different, if we had Jagielka and Jospeh Yobo as our centre-backs, then you could see the possibility of Joleon moving on.

"But with Phil being out injured I think it's important Joleon stays at the football club. I think it'll benefit him.

"We're in Europe this year, and that'll improve him as a player as well. So there's a lot to look forward to at Everton.

"David's amassed a fantastic squad of young players, and he sees Joleon Lescott as part of that, and quite rightly so."

Meanwhile, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this evening confirmed that Everton had expressed an interest in signing Gunners centre-back Philippe Senderos, but the player remained an Arsenal man at present.

You can bet anything that Sharpy is in the know!

I wouldn't hold Sharpy as a bearer of the truth, Neil. He's a great bloke, but I really don't think he's part of the inner-circle at GP.
 
I wouldn't hold Sharpy as a bearer of the truth, Neil. He's a great bloke, but I really don't think he's part of the inner-circle at GP.

And he did say he expects to see Joleon here for the first game of the season.

Shame the transfer window is open for 2 weeks after though!
 
Worried: Lescott

I think the managment have to do all they can to not sell Lescott. I can see this as the end of our fantastic rise up the table in rescent years, and into a decline.

I believe Arteta wanted to leave at one point, but the management did a great job in convincing him to stay, even though he's so far outside the Spain first team. Him staying allowed us to plan a team around him, and led to our great form.

However, I believe if Lescott is allowed to leave it will show that every player in our team has a price tag and is for sale to anybody, even our nearest rivals.

I think that players who are on the fence about the future of their playing career would see that they can be sold if the right offer comes in, I would not be suprised if we saw some more written transfer requests. If I was a player I could see myself thinking about leaving if the management told me that "no one was for sale, we are a team...", then let someone go because the price is right. We don't have the luxury Man Utd have where if they sell a player other players think its great as they have a greater chance of playing. If we sell our best players the rest of the squad will wonder what the future holds.

If we even got £30 mil, it may look like a lot of money on the surface (but would be split over many years of repayments), but we lose other players because of it and run the risk of undoing a lot of years of good work.

You don't get to win the Premiership by selling your best players.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome

Join Grand Old Team to get involved in the Everton discussion. Signing up is quick, easy, and completely free.

Shop

Back
Top