Joe Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joey Harper went to Hibs from Everton in a big transfer. This was when Hibs were up with the Old Firm as "contenders". He scored the winner in a ECWC tie against Liverpool and scored several more but was never accepted by the fans as he had replaced a local favourite.

..I was never a fan of McKenzie, Steve. Circus player in my opinion, although he was terrific in the Hamilton ‘disallowed game’ semi-final.
That was his problem,very little end product. Everybody went on about that run against Stoke,but it led nowhere and he only really held off challenges from a couple of players. And jumping over Minis has very limited application on a football pitch.

He was absolutely electric, every time he got the ball he set off on a mazy run and the crowd was on the edge of their feet in anticipation. Like most of those individual type of players the actual output faded with time as opponents worked out how to send them down blind alleys but the debut was spine tingling.
He scored two on his Goodison debut against Birmingham. Went through the repertoire and was brilliant. Always went home with a smile on my face after watching Duncan. Having said all this, the man of the match that day was a young Trevor Francis. What a player he was....

He scored two on his Goodison debut against Birmingham. Went through the repertoire and was brilliant. Always went home with a smile on my face after watching Duncan. Having said all this, the man of the match that day was a young Trevor Francis. What a player he was....
We tried our best to sign Francis to pair up with the Latch .......

The idea is to win games though isn't it? He had near to 50 games for us he was decent in about a dozen.
He wasn't the sole reason we didn't win as many games, they could have played to his strengths and built a team around him. If he hadn't been in the team you would have only had half the attendance, anyway what's limited edition mini's got to do with it?;)

He wasn't the sole reason we didn't win as many games, they could have played to his strengths and built a team around him. If he hadn't been in the team you would have only had half the attendance, anyway what's limited edition mini's got to do with it?;)
Other than his early years at Forest didn't stay that long at any club,there was a reason for that.One trick pony,easily worked out by opponents.

Other than his early years at Forest didn't stay that long at any club,there was a reason for that.One trick pony,easily worked out by opponents.
He was unlucky at Everton in the fact that Bingham was sacked shortly after signing him and Lee wanted a team without individual flair, I wouldn't say he was a 'one trick' pony Duncan displayed many of his trick's whilst he was here.
I was at his return game for Chelsea and witnessed the roof coming off Goodison when he scored so it's fair to say he was one of our most popular players and there was a good reason for that, we'll just need to agree to disagree.

He was unlucky at Everton in the fact that Bingham was sacked shortly after signing him and Lee wanted a team without individual flair, I wouldn't say he was a 'one trick' pony Duncan displayed many of his trick's whilst he was here.
I was at his return game for Chelsea and witnessed the roof coming off Goodison when he scored so it's fair to say he was one of our most popular players and there was a good reason for that, we'll just need to agree to disagree.
I'd agree he was popular,just didn't fit in with the team we had at the time.

Bet you're fun at parties Davids, Duncan was the only entertainment on the pitch at that time.

Not in 77/78 - Lee's first full season - we were top scorers that year and Duncan played his part with 9 goals , about 1 in 3 games. Not consistent though and impossible to build a team around someone who could be brilliant one week, anonymous the next. Lee didn't hate him - he gave him a season and a half. I suspect it was games like Man City away that season, when Latch and Thomas were injured and we needed a big performance from him, that caused Lee to replace him - he may as well have not been on the pitch, making less impression than either Pearson or Telfer, who both at least battled.

I think he genuinely liked Everton though and he probably played the best football of his career with us and Forest.

Not in 77/78 - Lee's first full season - we were top scorers that year and Duncan played his part with 9 goals , about 1 in 3 games. Not consistent though and impossible to build a team around someone who could be brilliant one week, anonymous the next. Lee didn't hate him - he gave him a season and a half. I suspect it was games like Man City away that season, when Latch and Thomas were injured and we needed a big performance from him, that caused Lee to replace him - he may as well have not been on the pitch, making less impression than either Pearson or Telfer, who both at least battled.

I think he genuinely liked Everton though and he probably played the best football of his career with us and Forest.
Lee got a rough deal in some ways.Was seen as stifling creativity and yet Thomas and Latchford were two of the most exciting players we've had in the modern era.

Lee got a rough deal in some ways.Was seen as stifling creativity and yet Thomas and Latchford were two of the most exciting players we've had in the modern era.

Yes, Bingham was much more defensive. After him, Lee was a breath of fresh air to the players.

I remember that Brum game as a kid there was great anticipation about Dunc,he didn't let us down, he was great,I remember my old man who was never a great one for hyperbole telling me it was the nearest he had seen to Alex Young the Golden Vision!!Only other funny thing I remember about that game was a rather amusing song the Gwladys Street were singing to Frank Worthington,aah the days of great characters in the game:)

I remember that Brum game as a kid there was great anticipation about Dunc,he didn't let us down, he was great,I remember my old man who was never a great one for hyperbole telling me it was the nearest he had seen to Alex Young the Golden Vision!!Only other funny thing I remember about that game was a rather amusing song the Gwladys Street were singing to Frank Worthington,aah the days of great characters in the game:)
Nothing to do with a failed medical...

Status
Not open for further replies.