Joe Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Physically, looked nothing like a footballer. He must have been pretty talented to carve out a professional career being so short and, shall we say, "stocky"...

I was at Goodison Park for his debut game, although he made a promising start to life at Everton, like many others he couldn't keep it up. I guess the standard was just that bit higher and he found it tough going. Best debut I saw was Duncan McKenzie but it gradually faded for him too.

...best debut I saw live was Paul Bracewell and he maintained the standard.

I was at Goodison Park for his debut game, although he made a promising start to life at Everton, like many others he couldn't keep it up. I guess the standard was just that bit higher and he found it tough going. Best debut I saw was Duncan McKenzie but it gradually faded for him too.

There wasn't anything like the difference in class between the two countries back then. Celtic were one of the best sides in Europe in the late 60's, and early 70's Harper certainly scored a few against us.

Some players just don't seem to fit some teams. At Aberdeen, and Hibs he was playing for teams who were winning most weeks, and creating loads of chances. Hibs played outstanding football back then, and resembled a continental side. I seem to remember after Liverpool beat Hibs 3 - 2 on aggregate in the UEFA Cup Bob Paisley saying something along the lines of "We'd all like to play football like Hibs, but unfortunately we have to win games" I'm not claiming that quote is word for word, but it's roughly the gist of what Paisley said.

Physically, looked nothing like a footballer. He must have been pretty talented to carve out a professional career being so short and, shall we say, "stocky"...

I agree, but sometimes players who don't look like footballers can surprise you.

I remember an ex-manager, I think it was Malcolm Allison saying in an interview that just before the start of the England - Hungary game at Wembley he said to the guy sitting beside him" Look at that little fat man keeping the ball up. We're going to beat this mob today" Against that is roughly the gist of what he said, and not word for word," It turned out Puskas wasn't as bad a player as he had assumed.

You're right Phil but there were mitigating circumstances when you think that the club was in chaos with Catterick's illness and then dismissal. Also, with Joe Royle injured, Harper's partners in attack included the likes of Rod Belfitt , and even when Royle returned the following season he was nowhere near his best after that back injury. I think it may have been a case of being at the club at the wrong time, but then again, perhaps he was better suited to, and happier in, Scottish football.

The slippy g effect has begun.
Welcome to GOT.
Few Gers followers on here ,enjoy the hatred/banter with them.
King Joey is a hero in aberdeen .
He admits he never done well for us toffees.
Our resident hibee will keep you right about his time there

I was very excited when we signed Joe as the team were desperately in need of someone who could put the ball in the net and he had a great goalscoring record in Scotland. He started well - I remember we beat Spurs 3-1 on his debut to end a losing streak and although he didn't score he was the catalyst for probably the best performance of the season. He scored in the next game at Chelsea and had a shoot on sight mentality that we really needed at the time. Catterick bought him but when he was taken ill the team went back into decline and Joe's form dipped as the chances dried up. I remember him scoring an excellent goal late in the season to help us to a vital win against Sheffield United which pulled us clear of the relegation dogfight.

Catterick left at the end of that season and Billy Bingham came in. Joe was chunky at the best of times but Bingham had them lifting weights and running up and down sand dunes which caused him to become even chunkier. He lost a bit of his speed and sharpness, didn't get on with Bingham - he wasn't the only one - and was allowed to leave and go back to Scotland. A shame really as he was potentially very good and I've got fond memories of him. I seem to remember he once laid out Larry Lloyd with a right hook in Brian Labone's testimonial match!
Too many of those shoot on sight efforts just had no chance of going in and so gradually his scoring record dropped off.....fatal for a guy signed on the basis of his goals in Scotland.

Those were the days when a player at a Scottish Club could come down and hold his own ( or hold a drink in Jim Baxters case) at English top level.
These days it's promising youngsters let go crossing the border northwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.