Joe Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Harper solid short & stocky striker, liked him a lot although he did not reach his potential at Everton....

We all signed another Scot from St Johnstone who I enjoyed watching called John Connolly did not score many but was a good winger...

Yes Connolly was a fine player, very skilful, for me he lacked a yard of pace which would have made him special. Had his leg broken by an Alty thug, which was a big blow to our title hopes that year, and he was never quite the same again. Joined the Everton old-boys AKA Birmingham.

I don't remember much about Connolly, though I do remember him playing for Everton. St Johnstone were a good team in the early 70's. Iirc, they pumped Hamburg in the UEFA Cup.
Connolly was ok in a struggling side till he he got a bad injury.Everyone wanted Joe to do well but it didn't happen.Biggest Scottish disappointment I've seen was John Collins from Celtic absolute garbage for Everton.

He scored a lot of goals for Hibs, notably the winner in the first leg of a European tie against Liverpool and a hattrick in a final versus Celtic at Hampden. Yet he was never fully accepted by the fans at Hibs, having replaced some local heroes in the team. He soon returned to Aberdeen where he was always an icon.

I just remember him as a roly poly striker who arrived with great hype but never really cut it with us. I was later vaguely amused to see that he’d become a Demi-god with Aberdeen and was now to be referred to as “ King Joey” and “ King of the Beach End”

I was at Goodison Park for his debut game, although he made a promising start to life at Everton, like many others he couldn't keep it up. I guess the standard was just that bit higher and he found it tough going. Best debut I saw was Duncan McKenzie but it gradually faded for him too.

not sure what Duncan did on his debut? best debut I saw was Cottee's hatrick including one within 30 seconds was it, Duncan must have nailed it!

Sorry @larbert toffee , been in Italy for 10 days and hadn't even looked at the forum. Joe started at Morton, his hometown team and eventually came back as commercial manager. Morton fan as far as I know, not heard anything to the contrary.

not sure what Duncan did on his debut? best debut I saw was Cottee's hatrick including one within 30 seconds was it, Duncan must have nailed it!

He was absolutely electric, every time he got the ball he set off on a mazy run and the crowd was on the edge of their feet in anticipation. Like most of those individual type of players the actual output faded with time as opponents worked out how to send them down blind alleys but the debut was spine tingling.

We were trying the 4-2-4 system with the Joe-Joe as dual strikers in the front middle two, but nothing special came from it.
Both Lee & Kendal managed Duncan Mac and obviously disliked him intensely. It was said that Lees teams had more Grasses than Kirkham Nick.

Problem with Duncan Mac was that Gordon Lee hated him, and Lee also hated any other player who had a 'name'. Duncan was up there with the best ever ball players to wear the shirt.

Problem with Duncan Mac was that Gordon Lee hated him, and Lee also hated any other player who had a 'name'. Duncan was up there with the best ever ball players to wear the shirt.

..I was never a fan of McKenzie, Steve. Circus player in my opinion, although he was terrific in the Hamilton ‘disallowed game’ semi-final.

..I was never a fan of McKenzie, Steve. Circus player in my opinion, although he was terrific in the Hamilton ‘disallowed game’ semi-final.

Gordon Lee agreed with you Eggs! As well as being a great dribbler, Mac also had the vision to find a pass and could have been much more effective for Everton if Lee had not been paranoid about 'flair players'. In fact Lees attitude contributed to his own downfall,rather like our recent Dutch disaster. Just my opinion of course, Eggs !

Status
Not open for further replies.