January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna half stick up for @TheBigIguana here in the sense that Iwobi is definitely better when he's more towards the left touchline than right when it comes to the numbers - i.e. he's more dangerous from that side. Like how we can say that Gray is definitely more dangerous playing left wing than right wing.

What annoys me slightly about Ig's comments on it is that he seems to disregard things Iwobi does like hitting the ball at a player 2 yards in front of him, or miscontrolling simple passes, or making an erratic decision, just because he's on the right side of central midfield and not 15 yards to the left.

That's where the issue is for me. I'm not disputing Iwobi is better when he's more towards the left of the pitch because generally he is. But where you play on the field doesn't mean you can't do simple things right and lately he's been doing simple things badly.

Still the only creative player we have from midfield, mind.
Yeah I agree, he should still function in either role. That's what I'm saying doesn't make sense. But it's also pretty clear that's how it's going to go so manage the player. Ridiculous.

In my opinion we need to bring in pace on the wings and ideally some creativity for the middle, until we do that it won't really matter which striker we sign.

I am surprised that McNeill has not been given a proper chance to be the creative player in the middle of the pitch because we know he can play there and we know he doesn't have the pace to cause a realthreat from the wings.

Yeah I agree, he should still function in either role. That's what I'm saying doesn't make sense. But it's also pretty clear that's how it's going to go so manage the player. Ridiculous.
but I do think it's on the player to not do rubbish things wherever they are on the pitch, not the manager.

It's on the manager to put the player in a position where they get more chances to do what they're good at, of course.

But you know, I saw Iwobi switch over to LCM v Brighton plenty and one of the times he literally hit a simple five-yard pass in nearly completely the opposite direction to where the intended target was.

He's a better player when he has more of the ball for sure, and I think that's confidence. When he doesn't have the ball a lot he rushes too much and that's not a good thing.

I think we can be better than sides with better management and the same players.
I don't disagree but 15th is still bottom six.

So with better management you think we'd be where exactly with this squad, right now?

Above Leicester? I think that's fair, but it'd still be pretty close to the drop, wouldn't it? Considering how tight it is.

I look at it as a better manager could probably have got 20% more out of this squad across the board, well that would equal what, another 3 points? Maybe 5-6 if we're being kind?

I think anything much more than 20 points with this squad would honestly be overperformance. I don't think we're one of the worst three teams on paper, but i do think we're one of the poorest six.

People seem to think by defending the players I'm saying they're good when I'm simply saying they aren't the worst attacking wide I've ever seen that isn't coached by Dyche or Pulis.
I think we can all agree nobody thinks these players are good.

Gray and McNeil are bottom three standard. Gordon is potential (not that he’s shown any of it this season). They’re the type of players that start for relegated Norwich teams and the like. Struggling to see many other teams in the league they start for. They’re as bad as the league table suggests.

I don't disagree but 15th is still bottom six.

So with better management you think we'd be where exactly with this squad, right now?

Above Leicester? I think that's fair, but it'd still be pretty close to the drop, wouldn't it? Considering how tight it is.

I look at it as a better manager could probably have got 20% more out of this squad across the board, well that would equal what, another 3 points? Maybe 5-6 if we're being kind?

I think anything much more than 20 points with this squad would honestly be overperformance. I don't think we're one of the worst three teams on paper, but i do think we're one of the poorest six.
I'm not so worried about points. We need to play better and the total will be what it is. I just think we've got a bad manager putting very few if any of the players aside from Coady and Tarkowski in spots to succeed and we should change that. Then we can buy players for the present and future for the new guy to hopefully develop and use better. Danjuma picking the ball up where Gray does will struggle too.

I'm starting to believe Bill Kenwright has been a red all along and is on the biggest sabotage mission in humour history. (Not a typo)

It's the only explanation.

The audacity of NOT having attackers brought in on Jan 1 given we're fighting relegation and are strong favourites to go down is proper badass.

You know you've reached the pinnacle of mastering your 'I don't give a [Poor language removed] what people think of me' quest, when angry Evertonians are on your case and you choose silence as your response.

Fair play. ?

I think we can all agree nobody thinks these players are good.

Gray and McNeil are bottom three standard. Gordon is potential (not that he’s shown any of it this season). They’re the type of players that start for relegated Norwich teams and the like. Struggling to see many other teams in the league they start for. They’re as bad as the league table suggests.
Tough assessment of Gray only won who shown fight

It does feel a little bit like are overestimating the calibre of player that a skint club who haven't done anything of note for 30 years and are currently in the relegation zone can attract. Anybody who comes in is going to have question marks over them, there isn't a world class attacking player in their prime out there waiting for the call from us to come and save us. Any attacking reinforcements we bring in are effectively going to be a punt, we just have to hope they're an effective one.

The best we can hope for is another Kevin Campbell. Who was 29 and washed up in Turkey when we bought him.

Status
Not open for further replies.