January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. At the risk of sounding like an ITK I work closely with a fella who's brother-in-law is a fitness coach at a particular club in Berkshire that may or may not play in blue and white hoops, and apparently said former Icelandic player was there recently. Based on what he told me it's sounds like a very complicated situation and it certainly explained why charges maybe haven't been pressed yet.

How is it complicated? If you can answer that..

Yeah. At the risk of sounding like an ITK I work closely with a fella who's brother-in-law is a fitness coach at a particular club in Berkshire that may or may not play in blue and white hoops, and apparently said former Icelandic player was there recently. Based on what he told me it's sounds like a very complicated situation and it certainly explained why charges maybe haven't been pressed yet.
that’s interesting and probably similar to various stories going around .

Unrelated to this I think if anyone Googles name withheld for legal reasons one reason stands out .

I can say that as an american, its unfathomable to me that no ones allowed to talk about it, or allowed to speculate on it even if it wasnt as obvious to all as it seems.
I remember watching the series Making a Murderer and seeing Counsel for the Defendants, Prosecution and Police commenting and speculating so much. It was bizzare particularly one Defence lawyer who commented on his client’s guilt before speaking to him. How is it possible to have a fair trial with so much contamination of evidence. How could any juror come to the case with an entirely open mind.

I remember watching the series Making a Murderer and seeing Counsel for the Defendants, Prosecution and Police commenting and speculating so much. It was bizzare particularly one Defence lawyer who commented on his client’s guilt before speaking to him. How is it possible to have a fair trial with so much contamination of evidence. How could any juror come to the case with an entirely open mind.
I think thats pretty easy, thats why they choose the jury based on those who havent heard and dont have bias. That and most people have a fundamental understanding of other people having diverging opinions.

The exceptions to that are rare and fascinating and so get on TV shows.

I think thats pretty easy, thats why they choose the jury based on those who havent heard and dont have bias. That and most people have a fundamental understanding of other people having diverging opinions.

The exceptions to that are rare and fascinating and so get on TV shows.
Why take the risk though. If you have pretty serious cases why speculate. If the person's innocent it just makes it worse. The reality also is that if it is a high profile individual who can really say if a jury is not swayed by media commentary or indeed lawyer commentary. I tend to think that silence once there is an investigation should be the rule. If too much information is divulged it can lead also lead to cranks coming out and making their own allegations.

Why take the risk though. If you have pretty serious cases why speculate. If the person's innocent it just makes it worse. The reality also is that if it is a high profile individual who can really say if a jury is not swayed by media commentary or indeed lawyer commentary. I tend to think that silence once there is an investigation should be the rule. If too much information is divulged it can lead also lead to cranks coming out and making their own allegations.
Because people are free to talk and have opinions. For people here, to remove that freedom and to put an otherwise innocent person in jail for an opinion seems crazy. I guess it depends on how much people are trusted to act like adults.

Because people are free to talk and have opinions. For people here, to remove that freedom and to put an otherwise innocent person in jail for an opinion seems crazy. I guess it depends on how much people are trusted to act like adults.
Depends on your point of view. I think that justice for victims and those innocent but accused of crimes justifies people’s freedom of speech being delayed. There is also the argument that freedom of speech does not mean freedom to speculate without substance about matters, not within their knowledge, particularly that which causes damage. I know that if i had spoken about a clients case without speaking to the client (which was an example i gave earlier) i would rightfully be struck off.

I would also suggest that there is a difference between a private conversation and one which is published - social media being a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.