January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVERTON NEAR BRANTHWAITE DEAL
Everton are expected to sign Carlisle defender Jarrad Branthwaite, despite having an initial offer rejected.
Carlisle want between £750,000 and £1m, plus add-ons for the 17-year-old.
Southampton were also keen on Branthwaite, but were put off by the fee.
Everton will go back with a second offer after seeing their £500,000 bid rejected.

Stick him CM lol

Long-term I think we know we need players in but looking at what Ancelotti want to do is he has a 433 with defenders who play from the back as a system he prefers.

From our current defence, I only really see Digne who can do that to a required level plus we require a new right back to play his expansive play.

Midfield wise is a huge problem with the centre of the park clogged with players who aren't able to play to this new system. Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, and Davies not quite at the level and we are waiting on how our injured players take to Carlo tactics. Wingers wise it's very poor but with us moving to a 433 this could be addressed in the summer.

Strikers is a big maybe, we could do with some experience upfront to help support the younger lads.

Come the end of January, I'd like to see:
Left sided Central Defenders
Defensive Midfielder

I would guess that the remit of the manager has changes since the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti.
I think the idea under Marco Silva was to recruit younger talent and slowly build a team. It was a very good idea but they appointed the wrong manager to implement the right idea.

Carlo Ancelotti is not a manager to hang around for the four years of his contract buying 19 year olds and slowly building his team.
He will want to put a team together as quickly as possible. He will sign experienced players that he can trust to form the spine of his team and mix these with the players he already has at the club .
I think he would hope to have a team together that is top six chasing top four as early as next season. After all that he has done in his career I cannot believe that he has come here to work slowly. I think it may have been the promises of a big budget and the ability to make changes quickly that will have drawn him to a job that nobody believed he would take.

When written like that I actually believe we might actually stop being crap and have a decent team again. I agree and hope everything you say is right

I would guess that the remit of the manager has changes since the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti.
I think the idea under Marco Silva was to recruit younger talent and slowly build a team. It was a very good idea but they appointed the wrong manager to implement the right idea.

Carlo Ancelotti is not a manager to hang around for the four years of his contract buying 19 year olds and slowly building his team.
He will want to put a team together as quickly as possible. He will sign experienced players that he can trust to form the spine of his team and mix these with the players he already has at the club .
I think he would hope to have a team together that is top six chasing top four as early as next season. After all that he has done in his career I cannot believe that he has come here to work slowly. I think it may have been the promises of a big budget and the ability to make changes quickly that will have drawn him to a job that nobody believed he would take.

I'm not sure. Fair enough he has changed a lot, but this job is different in almost every respect. We need him from a stability and continuity viewpoint to complete his full contract here if at all possible given the size of the job. I don't think signing players in the main of an age profile that may see them push late 20s/early 30s after a single contract is going to fit the brief, not if we have learned anything anyway.

It all depends on what end result he has been tasked with achieving here of course, but for me it is equipping us for sustainable success by the end of his contract. It ties in nicely with the move to Bramley Moore.

He has already pulled a surprise simply by taking the job and I think we may well be in for further and hopefully pleasant surprises over the coming months and years.

Was hoping Ancelotti would have brought someone or two in fairly early even if they were loans,but looks like the last minute scamble again,if at all.

I find it hard to believe he would have taken the job unless he was promised he could bring a few in in January.

Still think we'll see some new faces

Status
Not open for further replies.