January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is we could spend a lot more under STCC and FFP. Whether we have deep enough pockets, or whether the owner wants too is a different question.

They were willing to try and spend another 100+ million on Doucoure, Zaha & Zouma in the summer.

I don't think e will have the same difficulty attracting players and I suspect the owner may be more willing to back Ancelotti than previously managers.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't rule out a bid for Koulibaly.

Wonder if any Napoli players fancy a wage increase.....

All bets are off now.

How much does it cost to build a top 4 side on top of what we have...

I reckon we're going to drop £150-200mil in the summer + sales.

Really cant see why he would take the job otherwise...

Sell off a load and get 2 or 3 quality players, buying 6 or 7 players doesn't seem to work, just buy quality every window, that's what the top sides seem to do.

Brands has already said that he wants to buy 2 every summer but needs to revamp the squad first.

I think we need 2 more summers to be in that position.

All bets are off now.

How much does it cost to build a top 4 side on top of what we have...

I reckon we're going to drop £150-200mil in the summer + sales.

Really cant see why he would take the job otherwise...

Brands has already said that he wants to buy 2 every summer but needs to revamp the squad first.

I think we need 2 more summers to be in that position.

I think we have to be real about what an appointment of Carlo Ancelotti would mean. I suspect it means the attempt to create far faster movement up the league table, with the potential to spend greater sums of money than previously in order to do so.

It's break with what went before, in terms of trying to put a certain structure in with a young coach. There hasn't really been much effort to find another young coach.

The links to Usmanov in terms of the press are now more brazen, it's very open in reports he is a central part of the process.

Plan A was always to get a Hollywood Manager which has now been done. Ancelotti spent in todays money around 600 million quid at PSG in 2 years. Lets see if a comparable level of funding may be made available.

I am not entirely sure where it leaves Brands. In fairness we haven't bought that many young players. The hope would be that he has identified top European players that we would be able to finalise. I think the intake will be slightly older though. Ancelotti is a manager who has a pulling power none of our previous managers have had. He's probably the most decorated manager we've ever employed.

I don't rule Koulibaly out. Napoli are really struggling and could well be in a position where they are happy to take a view and flip on some players if a reasonable offer comes in. Another alternative mentioned here is Davinson Sanchez to go next to Mina. In a different way I'd be happy with either of those.

I do understand where Brands is coming from, but I think we will be targeting real quality now. I don't think it will be lots and lots of players, but the ones we buy need to be real quality.

I don't think we will blitz it in January. Maybe one CB and Zlatan could be a good chancefor 6-18 months to help Kean/DCL/Richarlinson. Kean will be utilised more I am sure. We may well play more 4-4-2 which will probably preclude too many more coming in midfield.

It's been a pretty woeful season thus far, but 5th remains very gettable. The Leicester game remains massive as well. If we can get through that game on.

As for Liverpool in the cup, lets not be too defeatist. They will not want that game anymore than we do. They players are starting to pick up knocks. Our run before them, Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle can herald points too and hopefully we are on a run.

It's a real long shot, but 2-3 big signings (one in defence and say Zlatan), league cup semi final against potentially Aston Villa, hopefully finding a way to get through the FA Cup, plus Gbamin to return and things start to look very different.

I think we have to be real about what an appointment of Carlo Ancelotti would mean. I suspect it means the attempt to create far faster movement up the league table, with the potential to spend greater sums of money than previously in order to do so.

It's break with what went before, in terms of trying to put a certain structure in with a young coach. There hasn't really been much effort to find another young coach.

The links to Usmanov in terms of the press are now more brazen, it's very open in reports he is a central part of the process.

Plan A was always to get a Hollywood Manager which has now been done. Ancelotti spent in todays money around 600 million quid at PSG in 2 years. Lets see if a comparable level of funding may be made available.

I am not entirely sure where it leaves Brands. In fairness we haven't bought that many young players. The hope would be that he has identified top European players that we would be able to finalise. I think the intake will be slightly older though. Ancelotti is a manager who has a pulling power none of our previous managers have had. He's probably the most decorated manager we've ever employed.

I don't rule Koulibaly out. Napoli are really struggling and could well be in a position where they are happy to take a view and flip on some players if a reasonable offer comes in. Another alternative mentioned here is Davinson Sanchez to go next to Mina. In a different way I'd be happy with either of those.

I do understand where Brands is coming from, but I think we will be targeting real quality now. I don't think it will be lots and lots of players, but the ones we buy need to be real quality.

I don't think we will blitz it in January. Maybe one CB and Zlatan could be a good chancefor 6-18 months to help Kean/DCL/Richarlinson. Kean will be utilised more I am sure. We may well play more 4-4-2 which will probably preclude too many more coming in midfield.

It's been a pretty woeful season thus far, but 5th remains very gettable. The Leicester game remains massive as well. If we can get through that game on.

As for Liverpool in the cup, lets not be too defeatist. They will not want that game anymore than we do. They players are starting to pick up knocks. Our run before them, Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle can herald points too and hopefully we are on a run.

It's a real long shot, but 2-3 big signings (one in defence and say Zlatan), league cup semi final against potentially Aston Villa, hopefully finding a way to get through the FA Cup, plus Gbamin to return and things start to look very different.
Zlatan coming here and tweeting about "Zleverton" and making it all about him while forcing our most promising young players to play out of position? And all that for the glorious prize of 8th? Count me out.

I think it really depends on what were trying to achieve here and the timeframe Ancelotti has been given.

Reports in Italy have stated that hes looking for spending guarantees. I would assume that would be for both January, summer and beyond.

Looking at the January window and the players we have, i think its a must that we sign a centre back and a centre midfielder. I think the Zlatan link helps DCL, Kean, Richarlison, Gordon and the like but i would only go for him till end of the season.

If were talking big money and looking at Carlos past, could be Ibra till summer then Cavani :eek: think hes out of contract and may fancy the premier league.

Id say we will go for an experienced top class spine and then build youth around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.