January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Sam what?

We were never in for him.

And no, before Dave starts, he's not a very good left-back (or a left-back at all, really).
The question is probably "why weren't we trying for him when the entire world knows Martina isn't even League Two standard at left back?". I genuinely don't have an answer, unless Everton end up getting a real impressive left back in between now and end of the window.

Alas all we'll have it "we looked and we couldn't find anybody who we felt would significantly improve us", which obviously is bull as literally anybody playing left back for any team in any decent league in Europe would be a vast improvement on Martina, hell even genuine left backs who currently aren't playing regularly would be an improvement, as would the likes of Oviedo, etc. Martina is AWFUL, possibly the worst player in our recent history if judged on his performances at left back.

There is no explanation to not replace him before the window closes, even though I know he'll be playing left back for the reason of the season.

The question is probably "why weren't we trying for him when the entire world knows Martina isn't even League Two standard at left back?". I genuinely don't have an answer, unless Everton end up getting a real impressive left back in between now and end of the window.

Alas all we'll have it "we looked and we couldn't find anybody who we felt would significantly improve us", which obviously is bull as literally anybody playing left back for any team in any decent league in Europe would be a vast improvement on Martina, hell even genuine left backs who currently aren't playing regularly would be an improvement, as would the likes of Oviedo, etc. Martina is AWFUL, possibly the worst player in our recent history if judged on his performances at left back.

There is no explanation to not replace him before the window closes, even though I know he'll be playing left back for the reason of the season.

I think the simple answer to that question is that Kenedy isn't a left-back

I agree entirely we need one, but Kenedy just isn't really a full-back

I think the simple answer to that question is that Kenedy isn't a left-back

I agree entirely we need one, but Kenedy just isn't really a full-back
But I would wager he's a better left back than Martina, as virtually anybody with a left foot would be, regardless of natural left back, left midfield or even centre back to be honest. So we knew he was available and would have got him (proven by the fact he's joined a much worse team in Newcastle), but opted against it.

Well, with Lennon gone, that's three relatively high-earners out now as well.

If we can ship 2-3 more, then there's no excuse not to be getting two more in.

I doubt it like, but left-back is a must. If there's no movement on it heads need to roll.

But they won't. Obviously.

If he was cut in half he would be better than what have, turning up their noses at Kenedy, hahaha you couldn't make it up.

But I would wager he's a better left back than Martina, as virtually anybody with a left foot would be, regardless of natural left back, left midfield or even centre back to be honest. So we knew he was available and would have got him (proven by the fact he's joined a much worse team in Newcastle), but opted against it.

He isn't a left-back. He's a winger who at a push can play left wing-back in the right system.

It's like saying we should have signed a left-footed striker to play there, purely because he's left-footed.

Perhaps he didn't want to come here? Perhaps Chelsea didn't want to send him here.

He isn't a left-back. He's a winger who at a push can play left wing-back in the right system.

It's like saying we should have signed a left-footed striker to play there, purely because he's left-footed.
... now that you say it, I'd much prefer that than Martina. The guy cannot use his left foot at all(!). Did you ever see that in the Premier League from a winger or full back? Like the player actually does not have the ability to use his weaker foot, and goes, every single time, out of his way to not use that foot? Never seen it in my life. For 50k a week you expect at least a limited use of both feet.

There must be literally hundreds of players in Europe who'd jump at the chance to play left back for us, but we just aren't arsed about finding one.

Status
Not open for further replies.