January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he didn't want to come here? Perhaps Chelsea didn't want to send him here.
Unless he's got family in Newcastle, which I doubt, I severely doubt he'd join them over us. But it's all ifs and buts, isn't it. We've just given Chelsea Barkley for next to nothing, I don't think they'd have vetoed Kenedy joining us on loan. Anyway, we'll be sticking with Martina so no point discussiong it, unfortunately.

... now that you say it, I'd much prefer that than Martina. The guy cannot use his left foot at all(!). Did you ever see that in the Premier League from a winger or full back? Like the player actually does not have the ability to use his weaker foot, and goes, every single time, out of his way to not use that foot? Never seen it in my life. For 50k a week you expect at least a limited use of both feet.

There must be literally hundreds of players in Europe who'd jump at the chance to play left back for us, but we just aren't arsed about finding one.

He can use his left foot, he has put in one or two crosses with it (he put one in against West Brom) but seems to avoid using it. Probably because if it goes wrong our fans will be all over him because our fans are turning in to utter weirdos lately. Probably explains why no left backs are jumping at the chance to join us either....

He can use his left foot, he has put in one or two crosses with it (he put one in against West Brom) but seems to avoid using it. Probably because if it goes wrong our fans will be all over him because our fans are turning in to utter weirdos lately. Probably explains why no left backs are jumping at the chance to join us either....
I can with 100% certainty say no player in the world would have any idea about this.

I can also with 100% certainty say Martina is the worst full back in at least the two top divisions in this country. I understand it's not his fault, I understand he's a right back. But the truth is he's a disability on the field for us and it's costing us massively.

There can be no reason to not replace him this window.

Yes he is.

No, he isn't.

He's a winger.

He was signed by Chelsea as a winger. Newcastle have signed him as a winger.

He made one appearance for Watford last season in a dreadful loan spell. He played as a winger.

He has played full-back a few times for a Chelsea side that finished 10th. He has played wing-back two or three times this season.

He has played full-back a few times for a Chelsea side that finished 10th. He has played wing-back two or three times this season.
If he's good enough for a mid-table side, then he'll easily be good enough for a relegation-threatened side like us, surely.

If he's good enough for a mid-table side, then he'll easily be good enough for a relegation-threatened side like us, surely.

He wasn't very good in those matches.

Hence he wasn't really used.

He's a winger, who at a push, can be played at the back.

An improvement on Martina? Possibly. But we could do with someone who can defend or we're back to square one anyway.

I can with 100% certainty say no player in the world would have any idea about this.

I can also with 100% certainty say Martina is the worst full back in at least the two top divisions in this country. I understand it's not his fault, I understand he's a right back. But the truth is he's a disability on the field for us and it's costing us massively.

There can be no reason to not replace him this window.

Players do talk to each other like... I wouldn't want to play for us right now. (My left foot isn't the best either to be fair..)

The window is still open and Baines still exists. And Allardyce has already said he needed to get players out before he can bring players in (Need the space to register players in the squad).

On the surface its obvious, look a bit deeper though and you have the issue that Baines will be back soon enough (he is still serviceable at least) and you have a world cup year so loads of players will be wary about moving clubs at this stage (Back ups may want game time but they are probably back ups for a reason generally..) and we may have someone in mind for the summer (Max for example and Augsberg don't want to get rid of him just yet).

Nothing is as easy as it looks in football, if it was, everybody would be doing things right.

Players do talk to each other like... I wouldn't want to play for us right now. (My left foot isn't the best either to be fair..)

The window is still open and Baines still exists. And Allardyce has already said he needed to get players out before he can bring players in (Need the space to register players in the squad).

On the surface its obvious, look a bit deeper though and you have the issue that Baines will be back soon enough (he is still serviceable at least) and you have a world cup year so loads of players will be wary about moving clubs at this stage (Back ups may want game time but they are probably back ups for a reason generally..) and we may have someone in mind for the summer (Max for example and Augsberg don't want to get rid of him just yet).

Nothing is as easy as it looks in football, if it was, everybody would be doing things right.
Good post and also good ex-WWF wrestler as your username.

Dembele is in no way a typical defensive midfielder.

Yes, he's strong in the tackle, but Dembele's main strength is his ability to just glide past players. In that sense, him and Ross are two of the only players in the league capable of that from midfield, and making it look so easy.

Loftus-Cheek is perhaps another but is inconsistent and Wilshere is another. As I said, there's not that much about.

N'Zonzi is more of a holding player but his passing ability means he offers something different. He's big and strong in the tackle but has the ability on the ball to go with it - I'd compare him to Capoue in terms of a player currently in the Prem. You're spot off on Doucoure/Matuidi, who are more box-to-box.

As you say, with Gana (a proper defensive mid imo) next to him, you'd like to think it'd free him up. That being said, we though the same with Schneiderlin.

Dembele can dribble, no question about it, and you are correct, he does seem to bypass players, but seems to me that's still happening in the middle of the field. I don't see him driving and pushing the Spurs attack. I feel like years ago he used to run with it more and get himself farther forward, but he doesn't seem to get into the final third often. Frankly, he might just be a bit too bulky to do it anymore. The dude is build like a tank.

Ross runs with it, but last year he rarely did it. He was more content to hold the ball. In fact, he was constantly on it. He was somewhat of a different player. But there is zero tackle in Ross. Zero. He can't play like Dembele - to me, Chelsea is a much better fit. There's no room for Ross at Spurs. If Ross could ever tackle or just pick off passes, he'd be one of the best players in the league.

Did you mean spot on? I said N'Zonzi is NOT a box-to-box player, which is why I think Doucoure is a better fit for the team, but he might be freed up a bit with Gana behind him.

Do you think N'Zonzi is a better fit than like a Doucoure? N'Zonzi would be massive for us in many ways, set pieces in particular on defense (wouldn't have to have JonJoe marking Rondon, which was insane btw). He would of course render Morgan and McCarthy worthless to us.

I just love Matuidi, btw. The energy he brings to a side, such a difference maker. I think the closest we have to that is Davies.

Anyone think we need a replacement for Mccharty? Im clueless, but i think if bouth Mccharty and sliderlin is off, it could be the case?

Or could we use Rooney and Davies, in those positions?

Although non of those two are left-foot

Status
Not open for further replies.