January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dembele is nothing like Ross. Yes, they both control and hold the ball. Dembele is a ball winner, a true defensive midfielder. Ross rarely makes a tackle at all.

N'Zonzi would be great, I was simply stating earlier that he's a bit more Dembele in terms of being more defensive oriented vs. Matuidi (and Doucoure), who I think are similar in that they will pick off passes and rush with the ball upfield to direct our attack. THink N'Zonzi can do it a bit, but he's also likely to just pass it off to someone else. I would think having Gana in there might loosen him up a bit.

He'd be a massive improvement in our side for a lot of different reasons, though.

Dembele is in no way a typical defensive midfielder.

Yes, he's strong in the tackle, but Dembele's main strength is his ability to just glide past players. In that sense, him and Ross are two of the only players in the league capable of that from midfield, and making it look so easy.

Loftus-Cheek is perhaps another but is inconsistent and Wilshere is another. As I said, there's not that much about.

N'Zonzi is more of a holding player but his passing ability means he offers something different. He's big and strong in the tackle but has the ability on the ball to go with it - I'd compare him to Capoue in terms of a player currently in the Prem. You're spot off on Doucoure/Matuidi, who are more box-to-box.

As you say, with Gana (a proper defensive mid imo) next to him, you'd like to think it'd free him up. That being said, we though the same with Schneiderlin.

At this point tho he essentially is on a free. Can sign a pre-contract 6 months before he's done, so anyone can sign him for essentially the same valuation.

..absolutely. I suspect he might be waiting for the obvious bidding war with his agent. He’ll be in no rush to sign. As the date gets nearer, the more teams will be prepared to pay for his services. I think the same is happening with Emre Can

Status
Not open for further replies.