Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think theres the massive difference people think.

The stats would back that up.

And as we all know, im a big advocate of stats.

Maybe not a huge difference in terms of tangible stats and technique but the difference between having Tarkowski over Keane is like going from a frightened rabbit to an angry doberman in terms of mentality.

Anyway looks like he's going to Villa now, for silly money.

The fact that the team for which Tarkowski plays has just been narrowly relegated should not preclude him from playing for another Premier League club.

Pickford had just been relegated when we signed him and since then he has become perhaps the greatest English goalkeeper since Peter Shilton and certainly our best goalkeeper since Neville Southall.

Jack Grealish got relegated with Villa…

I dunno I think Martyn might have been at least on par with Pickford, if not better overall

No its not!!!!!!!!!
Take Leicester for example. 160M on wages from their accounts. Take away 30M for for staff etc.. (on the high side)... Then let's say a squad of 25 players... That averages exactly at 100,000 per week.

The numbers are all open and available... For mid table clubs that's the average, for top of the table clubs it's a fair bit higher, and for Burnley, Southampton etc lower.

pickford also lead a team to relegation so your point is?
Pickford was not a skipper, the original post I was answering was about him being a leader, I do not see him as a significant improvement on what we've got and using him as a leader is not evidence of that when he has just skippered a side to relegation.
That is my point, we should be setting our sights higher than him.

Last edited:
Burnley are supposed to be relegated. Them making it to Europe is more noteworthy.
Exactly mate, they got relegated last week, them making Europe was a flash in the pan so to speak when teams hadn't worked out how to play against them, once they were found out as a one trick pony they became perennial strugglers, plucky but strugglers nonetheless and he was a big part of that and I don't see him as the central defender we desperately need.
If we get him and he proves me wrong I would be made up, I'm just giving my opinion.

Burnley didn't go down due to their defence they went down because they are a basic football team going forward. And anyway you can't blame one player.
Where did I say I was blaming him? It's a team game but he was the captain and central defender in a side that leaked goals so he played a major part in their relegation.

Once again I will state I don't see him as a big enough improvement on what we already have and again I will state the original post I answered to stated he was a good leader and organiser.

Why do you think we should buy him?

Where did I say I was blaming him? It's a team game but he was the captain and central defender in a side that leaked goals so he played a major part in their relegation.

Once again I will state I don't see him as a big enough improvement on what we already have and again I will state the original post I answered to stated he was a good leader and organiser.

To be fair, they conceded a decent amount less than us. They were 10th for goals conceded.

Whereas we were 16th. So it more than likely would be an improvement, so I understand the arguement but its different style of play, and it would rely on us strengthening other areas to actually get that improvement.

I wouldn't buy him, but on a free then he is definitely an upgrade of our CBs.

Experience, he's always fit, leadership/organisation and he is proven at this level. Also he's on a free and while the wages might be higher we can give him a couple of years contract. Who knows if we will get him and if we had a budget to get better of course I would. But if we can get him and a young CB we can move two of the likes of Keane/Holgate/Mina. I like Mina but he's never fit enough to justify the wage. Then it's overhauling the defence for not much transfer outlay.

To be fair, they conceded a decent amount less than us. They were 10th for goals conceded.

Whereas we were 16th. So it more than likely would be an improvement, so I understand the arguement but its different style of play, and it would rely on us strengthening other areas to actually get that improvement.

As I said it was their lack of attacking prowess that sent them down ultimately. I agree Burnley do play a deeper line but then we have at points too, we need a better midfield to shield whoever is in our defence, a proper DM.

As I said in a previous post, if he does comes here I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel after last season we need to be bringing in someone whose not war weary, not a bog standard player on £100k a week with no sell on value, god knows we have enough of them already.

Last edited:
Experience, he's always fit, leadership/organisation and he is proven at this level. Also he's on a free and while the wages might be higher we can give him a couple of years contract. Who knows if we will get him and if we had a budget to get better of course I would. But if we can get him and a young CB we can move two of the likes of Keane/Holgate/Mina. I like Mina but he's never fit enough to justify the wage. Then it's overhauling the defence for not much transfer outlay.
Let's agree to disagree, I think we should be aiming for better, younger and less relegation weary.
I think central defenders we have could improve with better coaching and management stability which hopefully we now have with Frank at the helm.
Mina is the best centre back we have but purely on his injury record alone should be punted if we can get a half decent fee for him.
We still need new blood but if we were to get Tarkowski I would hope he'd be seen as a squad player and not the instant solution to our defensive problems but hey we both hope for the best outcome I'm sure any which way.

Status
Not open for further replies.