2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the pre match beers hit me harder than I thought and I dozed off that absolutely didn’t happen . I’d certainly say he got a warmer reception than I expected , he got less of a reception than nearly every other previous new manager but it was warm and I’m sure he and the club were happy with it . After the game it was pretty good as well but standing ovation wasn’t something I saw or experienced.
The crowd were standing and there was sustained applause.

How are you derfining standing ovation then?

Unless the pre match beers hit me harder than I thought and I dozed off that absolutely didn’t happen . I’d certainly say he got a warmer reception than I expected , he got less of a reception than nearly every other previous new manager but it was warm and I’m sure he and the club were happy with it . After the game it was pretty good as well but standing ovation wasn’t something I saw or experienced.

Standing ovation!!! like you mate I must have slept through it lol there was generous applause around the ground but you could also hear boos when his name was mentioned. There were plenty of lads around me including myself who didn't applaud him or boo him and to be fair the 'applause' far outweighed the boos.

Standing ovation!!! like you mate I must have slept through it lol there was generous applause around the ground but you could also hear boos when his name was mentioned. There were plenty of lads around me including myself who didn't applaud him or boo him and to be fair the 'applause' far outweighed the boos.
I didn’t clap & I don’t think anyone in my row did along with plenty of others , I find that hard to classify as a standing ovation in anyone’s book . It was, like you say , generous applause like a returning well respected player but certainly not like new manager welcomes I’ve sat through over the last 4 decades but who knows others know better .

its actually quite remarkable (in spite of what the Newcastle fans think) how accepted he was.. that the majority thought let bygones be bygones shows our fan base in quite a positive light… his reception as Chelsea was far more hostile for far less of a reason

I didn’t clap & I don’t think anyone in my row did along with plenty of others , I find that hard to classify as a standing ovation in anyone’s book . It was, like you say , generous applause like a returning well respected player but certainly not like new manager welcomes I’ve sat through over the last 4 decades but who knows others know better .
More like a dose of clap?

its actually quite remarkable (in spite of what the Newcastle fans think) how accepted he was.. that the majority thought let bygones be bygones shows our fan base in quite a positive light… his reception as Chelsea was far more hostile for far less of a reason

What's gone in his favour is we've won games mate and the performances (apart from the first half against Southampton) have been full of spirit and fight but, a run of defeats mixed with poor performances and us being a fickle bunch things could easily change.

What's gone in his favour is we've won games mate and the performances (apart from the first half against Southampton) have been full of spirit and fight but, a run of defeats mixed with poor performances and us being a fickle bunch things could easily change.
Said it in his thread that Southampton goal and it’s timing was massive for him , his career and our club. The manager had sent us out for the second half with clear instructions but we looked to be running out of ideas when the goal came and suddenly everything changed and we won the game relatively comfortably. Now we’re unbeaten and we’ve won 3 out of 4 , if that goal goal doesn’t go in everything changes and I think you’d see him and his acceptance being viewed very differently.

That’s not said to undermine the manager or downplay his decent start just how I think. It’d have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.