2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

And that would be incredibly stupid

We have a game against QPR in 10 days' time. He should be starting that game, if fit.

Should he start on Monday? I don't think so. I'd like him to be on the bench rather than two GKs or Fabian Delph
He might use him in that cup game. PL matches: no chance.

Unless there's injuries or suspensions he's not playing.

We are going to get injuries. I expect Benitez to pick him against QPR, but I don't expect many league starts. And if he offers a goal or two off the bench over the season then that's fine.

We can't play every game the same way. Sometimes the onus will be on us to break teams down and control possession in a more measured manner.

To me we just have to treat James a bit like a special teams player. It is what it is and ironically is probably the role that suits him best - it doesn't overwork him and with pace and power around him actually should get the best out of him.

Should we play him when we want to be playing a counter-attacking style? Absolutely not.

When we're playing utter dross like Watford and Norwich then yes I'd like to see him play.

Then Benitez a tosser who can't put his own ego aside for the good of the club

I actually don't think he is. If James is here, and fit, he should be in every matchday squad
He has to think about the whole package, he isn't some infatuated fan who chooses players because of a goal scored at a world cup a decade ago.

Benitez will be weighing up how much his inclusion gives to the team and also what it takes out in terms of losing shape and protection down the right (his only possible inclusion forced on him would be to play him as a no.10) and the ramifications it might have for morale.

Status
Not open for further replies.