2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coutinho was top quality at Liverpool and they sold him and replaced him with yard dogs in the midfield which helped them win the league.

Forget tags like "world class" that means little if they dont suit the team and system.

Man City have world class players but they are also all fighters who torn us apart in a nothing game.

James was in a season defining match against Sheff Utd that put us in a good position for europe and wanted nothing to do with it and tried getting himself sent off.

Doesn't matter how good you are ability wise if you haven't the fight in your belly / are missing half the season - you cant build a team around that player.

Carlo was a disgrace the way he indulged him last season over everyone else. We need an all for one and one for all mentality being built like under Moyes.
But they had Salah, Mane and Firmino up front.

Not Gray, Townsend and DCL and maybe a knackered Richarlison.

DCL missed from a yard out in that Sheff Utd match, from a chance James set up.

We know he couldn't play more than 30 games in a season, but the point is you get the best out of him in those 30 games.

We'll see what happens. I really think James would happily stay but he will probably also happily go. Let's face it, you could hardly blame any of them. Given everything going on around the club, I wouldn't want to be a player there right now, it's a mess.

Plays awfully deep for a 10 in all of those clips, doesn't he?

Do you think we'll keep James? I'd very much like an answer for the vaults.

Hamsik played as a 10 at Napoli but wasn't happy about playing so much with his back to goal.

There was a really in-depth piece about Benitez in the Athletic and 4-2-3-1 is a formation he prefers mate.

James was in a season defining match against Sheff Utd that put us in a good position for europe and wanted nothing to do with it and tried getting himself sent off.
He got frustrated in the second half that day because everyone around him was awful that day but about half hour in he played an unbelievable ball in to Calvert Lewin who missed from five yards and then Richarlison missed the rebound from about two yards. Even in one of his worst performances he still put it on a plate for our strikers at least that one time off the top of my head. They took that chance, we would’ve gone on to win it no doubt.

Hamsik played as a 10 at Napoli but wasn't happy about playing so much with his back to goal.

There was a really in-depth piece about Benitez in the Athletic and 4-2-3-1 is a formation he prefers mate.
I don't subscribe to the Athletic because it is a collection of opinion pieces with little journalistic merit. I would be absolutely staggered if we still have James by the end o this window and I would also be very surprised if we play with a classical no. 10 next season as well. We'll find out soon enough.

James plays deep too tbf, if he’s not getting the ball played in he drops and picks it up of the center backs
He plays deep because he has to as our supporting players aren't up to the task. Signing Townsend, Gray and McNeill doesn't change that. If an offer comes in James will be sold and we will be a total hoofball team (if we're not already).

I don't subscribe to the Athletic because it is a collection of opinion pieces with little journalistic merit. I would be absolutely staggered if we still have James by the end o this window and I would also be very surprised if we play with a classical no. 10 next season as well. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't think a 4-2-3-1 strictly has to be played with a '10.

Doucoure, for example, played as the advanced midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 at Watford in his final season there.

I too will be surprised if James is here. But would like to think the benefits of keeping him outweigh the 'benefit' of shifting him.

On this particular piece in the Athletic, it wasn't opinion, it was speaking to someone who had worked with Rafael and detailed how he liked to do things.

He plays deep because he has to as our supporting players aren't up to the task. Signing Townsend, Gray and McNeill doesn't change that. If an offer comes in James will be sold and we will be a total hoofball team (if we're not already).
If we are only looking to sign those players sure (though actually Gray and McNeill offer good pace down the flanks and would suit James in a ten who can play them in).
Allan was great at turning defence into attack, another player like him and we have the perfect midfield two for James to sit in front of imo.

@windymiller I can't quote it, so I'll have to paraphrase...

"At Newcastle, Benitez largely played variations of 4-2-3-1. It was not the only formation used during his time at St James’ — he also deployed a back three at times — but the 4-2-3-1 would occasionally turn into a defensive 4-3-3. Benitez’s Newcastle would normally sit deep and then play long into a central — usually Salomon Rondon or Joselu."

"Benitez has been known to push central midfielders higher up. In his Napoli 4-2-3-1, Marek Hamsik, usually a No 8, played in the No 10 position."

He got frustrated in the second half that day because everyone around him was awful that day but about half hour in he played an unbelievable ball in to Calvert Lewin who missed from five yards and then Richarlison missed the rebound from about two yards. Even in one of his worst performances he still put it on a plate for our strikers at least that one time off the top of my head. They took that chance, we would’ve gone on to win it no doubt.

My point is mate is you cant build a team around someone with a very patchy injury record and a flimsy attitude who likes to be indulged.

True world class players win that game single handedly doesn't matter if players around them aint putting in the goods. Its the argument Roy Keane made about Bruno Fernandes - as good as he is he isn't world class as when the rest of the Utd team are off it he often doesn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck he's moaning, throwing arms up in the air etc.

Ability on the ball/vision wise 100% James is world class but he lacks in a lot of other departments which are vital for teams like us who often need to be greater than the sum of its parts.

If we are only looking to sign those players sure (though actually Gray and McNeill offer good pace down the flanks and would suit James in a ten who can play them in).
Allan was great at turning defence into attack, another player like him and we have the perfect midfield two for James to sit in front of imo.
This is clearly not a team being built around James, that may be a good thing, without him last season we were completely devoid of any creativity, but the players signed and linked give me no confidence that the creativity deficit is something that will be addressed. Getting rid of James, which is what loads on here want, starves this team of chances and goals. His presence on the pitch, and the attention he gets from opposing sides, opens up space for other players. Getting rid of him without adequate replacements is madness. IMO, we are going to be looking at crosses, headers and set pieces for the bulk of our goals. It's going to be dull AF.

@windymiller I can't quote it, so I'll have to paraphrase...

"At Newcastle, Benitez largely played variations of 4-2-3-1. It was not the only formation used during his time at St James’ — he also deployed a back three at times — but the 4-2-3-1 would occasionally turn into a defensive 4-3-3. Benitez’s Newcastle would normally sit deep and then play long into a central — usually Salomon Rondon or Joselu."

"Benitez has been known to push central midfielders higher up. In his Napoli 4-2-3-1, Marek Hamsik, usually a No 8, played in the No 10 position."
Eurghh, that is a depressing sentence.

BS talk he's going nowhere
I don't think he is going anywhere.

He has a year left on his contract. He can be a free agent again in a years time
Some of the shouts on here are kin nuts, about the one world class footballer currently on our books.

I'll blame the heat, cos there's no good reason to be advocating hoofing James when we are left with the absolute wasters , or are taking on lil Philly, whose career has bombed after the rs Peds worked there way out of his system - absolutely barmy.

If he wants out that's different, and we should try and get as much as we can for a genuinely works class player.

Thing is, I don't see that he wants away, from his social media and pre-season work.
I agree, I don’t think he is going. He usually would be out by now but instead like some of you had mentioned he has been going to training, completing his preseason work and in social media he expressed just recently to be happy. My feeling is that he is staying at least the upcoming season or at least until the winter window.

I’m definitely looking forward to see him playing on Sunday at the Florida Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.