2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an onus on the other players to perform in order to get James the room he needs though. If teams start doubling up on him and the others don´t step up we could become stuck for ideas.
I’m not going to question Ancelotti’s handling of him at all as he’s on fire but I’d love to see him completely devoid of any sort of defensive responsibility and starting off from the number 10 position. Who knows though maybe he’d get crowded out and there’d be less space and he’d actually see less of the ball. Maybe Gomes is actually tying up opposition players on that left hand side with Digne and Richarlison so that when the hall is switched Rodriguez is coming onto it in lots of space.
It’s interesting at the beginning of the game they were doubling up on him and nullifying his influence. As the first half wore on he begin to drift into the 10 position whereby he scored that second goal. In the second half he seemed to be played more in the 10 role and was saw how much more effective he was there. Teams can’t double up on him if he has the freedom to roam in that 10 role.

It’s interesting at the beginning of the game they were doubling up on him and nullifying his influence. As the first half wore on he begin to drift into the 10 position whereby he scored that second goal. In the second half he seemed to be played more in the 10 role and was saw how much more effective he was there. Teams can’t double up on him if he has the freedom to roam in that 10 role.

He did well to get into the game yesterday because he was clearly being targeted by West Brom. I just think other players like Gomes should see it as an excellent opportunity to push on this season and take advantage of how much more space they'll have.

When you've got a player with the talent of James, it's easy to become one reliant on that one star. I don't think Ancelotti will allow that to happen though.

I’m not going to question Ancelotti’s handling of him at all as he’s on fire but I’d love to see him completely devoid of any sort of defensive responsibility and starting off from the number 10 position. Who knows though maybe he’d get crowded out and there’d be less space and he’d actually see less of the ball. Maybe Gomes is actually tying up opposition players on that left hand side with Digne and Richarlison so that when the hall is switched Rodriguez is coming onto it in lots of space.
It would be interesting to see him as a 10 but to be honest I really like the balance of the midfield right now.
In addition James has freedom to drift into the centre , into if you like a 10 position, and the fact that he doesnt start there makes it much harder to pick him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.