2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long it will be till the honeymoon period ends when we're all having a go at him for not sprinting enough
His stats throughout his career suggest wherever he’s been he’s been able to influence games, either by chances created, assists or goals. It would be typically so Everton if that stopped at Everton. But Ancelloti clearly knows how to get the best out of him, so I’ve no worries at all.

Is this the greatest transfer steal of all time? If James keeps performing like this all season - Everton are going to be right up there.

My question is - did Real Madrid forget how good this guy was? His level of play in the first two games would have warranted a place in the first eleven.

Tells me that the Florentino Perez doesn't know about football as much as he thinks, if he's going to let this guy go for free or 12m euro or whatever it was. James is a top 10 player in the world if he plays like this.

Is this the greatest transfer steal of all time? If James keeps performing like this all season - Everton are going to be right up there.

My question is - did Real Madrid forget how good this guy was? His level of play in the first two games would have warranted a place in the first eleven.

Tells me that the Florentino Perez doesn't know about football as much as he thinks, if he's going to let this guy go for free or 12m euro or whatever it was. James is a top 10 player in the world if he plays like this.

I think part of the pay off is the reduction in the wages charge.

I think he stopped featuring when Zidane brought Casemiro in and they went 433. Before that it had been 4231 with Modric and Kroos sitting and James at number 10. As soon as Casemiro came in Zidane wasn’t dropping Modric or Kroos and he wasn’t dropping Ronaldo or Benzema. That left Rodriguez competing with Bale and Isco for the chance to play out of position on the left wing.

Zidane didn't like James and James didn't help himself by talking to the press, especially the Colombian press. James would play and score or assist and not see the field for many games while other players were allowed to play themselves into form. Players Zidane likes can struggle for long periods of time no problem, James had to perform and even if he did, he would get benched anyways. He was behind

Kroos
Modric
Isco
Valverde
Lucas vazquez
Asesio
Vinicius
Rodrygo

He would only play if everyone was injured pretty much

I wonder how long it will be till the honeymoon period ends when we're all having a go at him for not sprinting enough

Never. If people start having a go at him, it will almost assuredly be over injuries rather than anything he does on the pitch when healthy. He is a top, top player.

Juve got Pirlo on a free, and Bayern got Lewandowski on a free, so no...but two games in I'd say it's looking like a top ten in recent memory. Long way to go for that promise to be fulfilled, though.

Last edited:
Never. If people start having a go at him, it will almost assuredly be over injuries rather than anything he does on the pitch when healthy. He id a top, top player.

Juve got Pirlo on a free, and Bayern got Lewandowski on a free, so no...but two games in I'd say it's looking like a top ten in recent memory. Long way to go for that promise to be fulfilled, though.

Those don't really count as transfers to me since the players were out of contract and it was just signing them.

Toni Kroos to Madrid for like $20 million was a steal. But like James, he wanted to leave and had 1 year left in his contract.

I think part of the pay off is the reduction in the wages charge.

How do you mean? That James took a pay cut, and that would give Everton the money to settle the transfer? I read that if it was a free transfer, it actually meant Everton paid off what RM owed James for the final year and RM were happy so they just let him walk. But still think they could have shopped him around. It feels like Perez had a word with Zidane, and Zidane probably just said get rid.

I think he stopped featuring when Zidane brought Casemiro in and they went 433. Before that it had been 4231 with Modric and Kroos sitting and James at number 10. As soon as Casemiro came in Zidane wasn’t dropping Modric or Kroos and he wasn’t dropping Ronaldo or Benzema. That left Rodriguez competing with Bale and Isco for the chance to play out of position on the left wing.

I read Perez wanted BBC in the team, which meant James was competing against all the other mids for on spot because modric was in Balon d'or form, and Kroos was basically undroppable.

Zidane didn't like James and James didn't help himself by talking to the press, especially the Colombian press. James would play and score or assist and not see the field for many games while other players were allowed to play themselves into form. Players Zidane likes can struggle for long periods of time no problem, James had to perform and even if he did, he would get benched anyways. He was behind

Kroos
Modric
Isco
Valverde
Lucas vazquez
Asesio
Vinicius
Rodrygo

He would only play if everyone was injured pretty much

Even at the time of the mega transfer, I wasn't sure Real Madrid was the club for James. He's just better when the system is James rather than playing a very rigid system like RM. He needed a Barca setup except swap Messi out for James. With players like Xavi and Iniesta behind him. That's what Carlo is doing now with Allan and Doucoure. Richarlison is not half bad either.

Never. If people start having a go at him, it will almost assuredly be over injuries rather than anything he does on the pitch when healthy. He is a top, top player.

Pirlo is magic, but I sort of got it, because he was on the other side of 30? Didn't expect Pirlo to last as long as he did but definitely an excellent shout.

I remember Lewandowski going to Bayern, but he basically forced his way out of Dortmund at the time. Total BS, because he wanted a top salary that comes with a free transfer. Dortmund knew how good he was and how they were getting shafted.

Just watched motd. They put up a stat he didn’t do one sprint yesterday. He used his football intelligence to find space time and time again.

There is an onus on the other players to perform in order to get James the room he needs though. If teams start doubling up on him and the others don´t step up we could become stuck for ideas.

I’m not going to question Ancelotti’s handling of him at all as he’s on fire but I’d love to see him completely devoid of any sort of defensive responsibility and starting off from the number 10 position. Who knows though maybe he’d get crowded out and there’d be less space and he’d actually see less of the ball. Maybe Gomes is actually tying up opposition players on that left hand side with Digne and Richarlison so that when the hall is switched Rodriguez is coming onto it in lots of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.