2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
My worry with James and the whole team is their incapability to win against lower level teams. What's our problem there? If we had perform against those team we could have so many more points and be on our way to Europe.

Not enough guys that can find a way through ten men behind the ball.

The best example of how to do it was the old Barca teams. It truly is a team effort. The way is a long series of probing passes, trying to find a chink in the armor. Most series will fail, but you learn things every trip. The longer you keep the ball, the more you learn. And the key passes have to be flawless - which those Barca teams didn't always manage in sequence, but often enough.

Sigurdsson's goal needed a good pass from Coleman, an instant and inch-perfect reply from Richarlison to provide the space and set up the delivery, and a great cross from Coleman to become even a challenging opportunity, which was well-taken by Sigurdsson.

How many players can you substitute for the players involved and get the result? Rodriguez could have held down either role in the passing, as could Digne if play was on the left. Gomes probably makes Richarlison's one-time pass with the right weight, and Allan and Sigurdsson are a maybe on that one. I doubt DCL finishes it, though Coleman probably lofts it up for DCL to head. Maybe Richarlison finishes it - I've seen him make crazier volleys.

So the problem's simple enough - we need more creativity out of the midfield and the RB than we usually have. Coleman's in and out of form (and health), no one else at RB can make those passes, our midfield's ability to make key passes and send balls through is suspect to non-existent depending on the personnel, and our strikers are good but finicky about the exact service they'll slot, requiring even more quality from the midfield and wings to provide said service.

Not enough guys that can find a way through ten men behind the ball.

The best example of how to do it was the old Barca teams. It truly is a team effort. The way is a long series of probing passes, trying to find a chink in the armor. Most series will fail, but you learn things every trip. The longer you keep the ball, the more you learn. And the key passes have to be flawless - which those Barca teams didn't always manage in sequence, but often enough.

Sigurdsson's goal needed a good pass from Coleman, an instant and inch-perfect reply from Richarlison to provide the space and set up the delivery, and a great cross from Coleman to become even a challenging opportunity, which was well-taken by Sigurdsson.

How many players can you substitute for the players involved and get the result? Rodriguez could have held down either role in the passing, as could Digne if play was on the left. Gomes probably makes Richarlison's one-time pass with the right weight, and Allan and Sigurdsson are a maybe on that one. I doubt DCL finishes it, though Coleman probably lofts it up for DCL to head. Maybe Richarlison finishes it - I've seen him make crazier volleys.

So the problem's simple enough - we need more creativity out of the midfield and the RB than we usually have. Coleman's in and out of form (and health), no one else at RB can make those passes, our midfield's ability to make key passes and send balls through is suspect to non-existent depending on the personnel, and our strikers are good but finicky about the exact service they'll slot, requiring even more quality from the midfield and wings to provide said service.
Just on your opening line, there hasn't been many teams who have sat back with ten behind the ball against us this season, if any at all. That's simply not true that we can't break them down, the fact is we got outworked and didn't have the intensity or desire of the other sides, that's all those games against Toon, Fulham, Burnley etc

Just on your opening line, there hasn't been many teams who have sat back with ten behind the ball against us this season, if any at all. That's simply not true that we can't break them down, the fact is we got outworked and didn't have the intensity or desire of the other sides, that's all those games against Toon, Fulham, Burnley etc

Once teams get set in defense behind the ball when we have it outside the opposition's box, we've had a great deal of difficulty doing anything constructive in possession since the first seven games. We make rubbish sideways passes for a while, and usually one of three things then happens:

- we make a truly bad pass that gets pounced on
- Sigurdsson loses patience with this nonsense and uncorks over the bar from outside the box
- we try a ball in that is handled easily

and another sterile possession ends.

I honestly think that we're seeing the same thing, at least in the attack, but attributing the result to a different cause.

James helps with this, but he's often not enough alone.

Loved the way he just turned around in disgust after threading an inch perfect pass through the eye of a needle for King to miss. Then for Richie to balloon over the bar...
He seemed frustrated at various part of the match because of his and their inability to score.

Screenshot_20210416-184223~2.png

Once teams get set in defense behind the ball when we have it outside the opposition's box, we've had a great deal of difficulty doing anything constructive in possession since the first seven games. We make rubbish sideways passes for a while, and usually one of three things then happens:

- we make a truly bad pass that gets pounced on
- Sigurdsson loses patience with this nonsense and uncorks over the bar from outside the box
- we try a ball in that is handled easily

and another sterile possession ends.

I honestly think that we're seeing the same thing, at least in the attack, but attributing the result to a different cause.

James helps with this, but he's often not enough alone.
This is exactly the problem. We don't move the ball quickly enough, often enough, so the opposition has plenty of time to get their defence back into position and then we struggle. There's loads of lads on here who keep banging on about pace and power (and I certainly wouldn't say no to either!) but having someone like James who has the vision to cut out half the opposition's players with a well placed pass shows that speed of mind is often superior to being able to run really fast with the ball at your feet.

Yeah the man is incredibly skilled but what I think what makes him a true asset to the team is that he accentuates everyone around him offensively. Just highlighted yesterday he amped up siggys game and same with digne

Status
Not open for further replies.