2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I'm not sure there is more underrated player in the whole of football than James at this point.

Dont know they’re even being compared. May as well compare Tom Davies to De Bruyne whilst we’re at it. Since when has Thiago ever been anywhere near the class of James Rodriguez? Or did all that go out the window when one signed for Everton and the other for the greatest team that ever walked the earth.

Dont know they’re even being compared. May as well compare Tom Davies to De Bruyne whilst we’re at it. Since when has Thiago ever been anywhere near the class of James Rodriguez? Or did all that go out the window when one signed for Everton and the other for the greatest team that ever walked the earth.

Think you are getting mixed up there, James signed up for us and we are, see the writing in bold.

I didn't mean that in relation to Thiago. James when healthy has been a top 10 to 20 player world wide and people think he's a one hit wonder.

On Thiago I get why our fans are annoyed by his treatment in the RS media, but he's a really good player. And last year he was a key cog in a Bayern side that was the best side by a margin. However he hasn't fit in the RS side so far because they're used to juice heads who run a million KMs but can't do much else and haven't adapted.

Tbf, Thiago has been absolutely superb in recent seasons.

I still think he's getting far too underrated on here, just as much as he's getting overrated in the general media!

Totally different types of midfielder too. Thiago is a 6, James is a 10. So yes, very much like comparing Davies and De Bruyne in that regard.

I didn't mean that in relation to Thiago. James when healthy has been a top 10 to 20 player world wide and people think he's a one hit wonder.

On Thiago I get why our fans are annoyed by his treatment in the RS media, but he's a really good player. And last year he was a key cog in a Bayern side that was the best side by a margin. However he hasn't fit in the RS side so far because they're used to juice heads who run a million KMs but can't do much else and haven't adapted.

Richarlison's tackle crocked him like. I don't care, just saying he'd looked very good in that derby game and would probably have had a much bigger impact for them if he'd been fit.

Thiago is a knock-off Xavi. At his best, he controls the rhythm of a game, but he offers little enough penetrative threat. James makes no attempt to control the tempo, he deals in fantasy and flair. They are very different players. I live in Germany and watched both at Bayern. I have never been a fan of Thiago. His game always seemed to me to be self-regarding and limited. Keep the ball. That's a huge skill, of course, but it's often deeply sterile. James has always been worth watching, but could be in and out. At this best, he is glorious, one of the world game's great creative wits. I happened to much prefer Andres Iniesta to Xavi, who I felt offered far too little thrust in front of goal. Iniesta had that little bit of devilment that made him a much more thrilling player to my eyes. Then again, maybe I just don't like players who appear to be "all that" out the pitch but as soon as they face a keeper, or a proper defender, one-one-one fall apart. Iniesta was rapier-like and consequential. Xavi, to my eyes, was more of a metronome. And watching clocks is rarely fun.

That said, I have no issue considering Xavi a great player and one of the most significant players of his generation. He also made a huge impression with Spain, just as James did with Colombia. Thiago's international impact has been minimal.

Thiago is a knock-off Xavi. At his best, he controls the rhythm of a game, but he offers little enough penetrative threat. James makes no attempt to control the tempo, he deals in fantasy and flair. They are very different players. I live in Germany and watched both at Bayern. I have never been a fan of Thiago. His game always seemed to me to be self-regarding and limited. Keep the ball. That's a huge skill, of course, but it's often deeply sterile. James has always been worth watching, but could be in and out. At this best, he is glorious, one of the world game's great creative wits. I happened to much prefer Andres Iniesta to Xavi, who I felt offered far too little thrust in front of goal. Iniesta had that little bit of devilment that made him a much more thrilling player to my eyes. Then again, maybe I just don't like players who appear to be "all that" out the pitch but as soon as they face a keeper, or a proper defender, one-one-one fall apart. Iniesta was rapier-like and consequential. Xavi, to my eyes, was more of a metronome. And watching clocks is rarely fun.

That said, I have no issue considering Xavi a great player and one of the most significant players of his generation. He also made a huge impression with Spain, just as James did with Colombia. Thiago's international impact has been minimal.
Good post. I also preferred the more mercurial style of Iniesta to the metronomic Xavi. But rather controversially I preferred Modric to both as he had the legs and discipline to play in a midfield two and the dribbling skills to burst forward. Thiago is not as good as these 3 but he is a class act. I do wonder though him he is suited the the league a little like how Veron struggled at United. 29 with the injuries he has had is quite long in the tooth to play CM in the PL.

As for James it does feel that he owes us a run of performances now. Hopefully he can stay fit for the remainder of the season

They knew it was time to get rid .. and had a ready made replacement in kimmich ready

Why do people speak about Thiago like he’s ever been on a level like Bale, James, Robben, Ribery , Modric, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta etc. He’s spent his career as a good midfielder, not some world class star name. Don’t let the media narrative of “he’s just moved over here from abroad he must be the best midfielder in the league” gain any more traction than it already has.

Anyway James is proper good at kicking the ball with his left foot.

The question is, who would you drop and replace from that midfield?
I don’t like these questions. If this season has shown anything, it’s that we need quality depth. Doucs is out against Leicester, and Allan has been injured. So for me, it’s not about replacement. It’s more about having actual options.

To add

Ive had this debate with some reds ... imo thaigo has taken liverpools best weapon out , the high press and direct passing hes great for possession play and controlling the game
You are 100% spot on. Thiago works for possesion oriented teams. He's not efficient for high press and direct passing teams. Since he's back Liverpool are not as fast as they normally are.

Status
Not open for further replies.