Transfer Rumour James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo rates him very highly, says he has the hard work he likes to go with the talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go through. I think a big name defender might rock up as well, he bought Nesta at Milan to start, Thuram at Parma, Thiago Silva at PSG. I intrigued to see who come through the doors as it may well be on a level we haven't had chance to really discuss before.

I have to admit I’m slightly surprised at the reaction to this rumour.

Do people really believe we’re in a position to be saying no thanks to a player of Rodriguez’s quality ?

Bayern refused to sign him. Okay. Perhaps that’s to do with the fact that they’re slightly more appealing than we are and have a little bit more choice than we do ?

The guy has consistently scored and assisted at a good level for years, sure he has injury problems, but when he does play he contributes pretty consistently. We currently have a load of players who do play but don’t contribute. I know what I’d rather have.

Think it would be a pretty exciting signing and would certainly be the kind of transfer which would make others see us in a different light.

Do people really believe we’re in a position to be saying no thanks to a player of Rodriguez’s quality ?

Bayern refused to sign him. Okay. Perhaps that’s to do with the fact that they’re slightly more appealing than we are and have a little bit more choice than we do ?

The guy has consistently scored and assisted at a good level for years, sure he has injury problems, but when he does play he contributes pretty consistently. We currently have a load of players who do play but don’t contribute. I know what I’d rather have.

Think it would be a pretty exciting signing and would certainly be the kind of transfer which would make others see us in a different light.

It's the same people who baulked at the thought of signing Ancelloti.

I agree. I get the arguments relating to injury record but statement high profile signings like this would be have a knock-on effect and make other top players consider joining. Robinho had that effect at City.

Kai Havertz, Anderson Talisca, Dani Olmo, Aleksandr Golovin, Jonathan Ikone, Jonathan David, Aleksei Miranchuk, Amine Harit - the list is almost endless.

Any of those would do lovely.
Can't sign
Went to China
Good player
LOL
Decent but not James level
Striker?
No idea who that is so I'm guessing not James level
And good player but not as good

This isn't that easy. The only one on their definitely better is Havertz and he isn't coming here.
Why can't we sign him? If we've got the ambition we're suggesting, we can't sign a bloke from a team that may not even have Europa League Football next year?

So what if they went to China. With the new salary cap they'll all be coming back. The likes of Talisca and Oscar would walk in to most top six sides and would be far better uses of money than James.

Better to sign players with room to grow, rather than players who are well past their peak.
Bayern signed Coutinho instead. The best option you could give us was someone who ran off to China instead of trying a tougher league.
Haland chose Dortmund over United and others offering more money this window. It's rarely about money and is often about game time, the coach, the style of play, the environment and ultimately, the project.

If we actually have the ambition we say we do, then Havertz isn't beyond our reach.

It's all subjective but I refuse to believe that people don't believe that there are scores of other possible players out there that would represent far better value than James Rodriguez at £40 odd million and £200k + a week minimum.
Ok so why would someone look at the opportunities we've provided young players and pick coming here over Dortmund or Leicester or honestly just staying at Leverkusen?

I mean you keep saying there's better value but you've also yet to really come up with it. Brands might but again it really isn't easy.
If they received assurances from Carlo, Brands, Moshiri et al that the club was committed to giving young players more of a chance, then they would.

All the players I listed before would represent far better value than James Rodriguez at £40odd million and £200k wages.

All of them are players on an upward curve, lower wages, probably lower transfer fee, far higher resale value and all of them represent a far smaller risk in terms of fitness and injury record.
And all of them are well worse players aside from Havertz. But Havertz fee would be minimum 75m and we would probably have to make him our highest paid player to attract him.

This is probably for another thread but we are very close to not being able to say anything to convince players to come here and develop when they can look at the cases of Vlasic, Lookman, Kean, Onyekuru (not our fault but he would clearly have been better off somewhere else), Kenny and so on. None of those have reached their potential here. Meanwhile look at RBL, Dortmund, Ajax, Leicester and see what they've done. We aren't going to be a top option.

This made my afternoon...entertainment at its finest...

The only two players on that list worth signing would be:

Kai Havertz: Rumoured to be heading to any number of the best sides in world football for a fee ranging from £75mil to £120mil.

Dani Olmo: Wanted by Barcelona amongst others.

Firstly, why would either player join Everton over say Bayern and Barca where they are guaranteed to be on the world stage and pick up trophies?

Perhaps they want game time but I imagine they back themselves to start at any team in the world.

Lets say we were able to persuade Havertz and Olmo to join the club, how long would he even stay for without champions league? My guess would be 1-2 seasons max...

I would prefer either of those players to Hamez because they would show we are BUILDING a top quality side with star young players.

Thats in no way realistic though...the only real chance we have is to go for these types BEFORE they hit the big time...like Reinier was supposedly signing...or when Ancelotti signed Veratti for PSG.

We should be targeting 5 players of this type over the next 4 windows, 6 months before they are on the radar of the top sides.

At the moment though Hamez is a world class player who we may be able to bring in on loan till the end of the season...lets take him.

I agree. I get the arguments relating to injury record but statement high profile signings like this would be have a knock-on effect and make other top players consider joining. Robinho had that effect at City.
We are playing pretty much 1 game a week from now on, so it’s not like he be playing 2 times a week

Status
Not open for further replies.