2022/23 James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't do anything. Hopefully he can find his feet but I just don't see any reason to be playing him right now.
I think I’d give him a game for Onana - he’s not doing enough to continue starting every week, a rest could give him a kick up the arse. Looks a better passer than Onana, we do need to get better control of the ball. It’s hard to judge him when he’s coming on when the teams lost all shape and direction but agree nothing spectacular at the moment. He’s young though so like Onana, he’s got time to improve.

I think I’d give him a game for Onana - he’s not doing enough to continue starting every week, a rest could give him a kick up the arse. Looks a better passer than Onana, we do need to get better control of the ball. It’s hard to judge him when he’s coming on when the teams lost all shape and direction but agree nothing spectacular at the moment. He’s young though so like Onana, he’s got time to improve.
Onana did more today and he wasn't even that good.

….found out a bit more today.

The way Lampard sets us up, we try and play through the middle but Gueye just isn’t that type of player. He’s hoping Garner might be but he’s not currently looking like the answer.

A DM who is comfortable on the ball & can transition to attack is not Gueye & the jury is out on Garner. Square pegs round holes.

The way Lampard sets us up, we try and play through the middle but Gueye just isn’t that type of player. He’s hoping Garner might be but he’s not currently looking like the answer.

A DM who is comfortable on the ball & can transition to attack is not Gueye & the jury is out on Garner. Square pegs round holes.

When you boil it down, you do wonder if it's not a good way for us to play full stop.

Onana did more today and he wasn't even that good.
Did you think so? Thought Onana was anonymous first half and not great second half. It’s not just based on today though, he’s not doing enough to start every week. Thought he had a poor game against Fulham as well. Midfield looking like it needs a shake up. Garner looks like he can win ball and has a better passing range so I’d give him a shot.

When you boil it down, you do wonder if it's not a good way for us to play full stop.

…yep. It’s the old quandary, do you play the system you want to play or do you play a system that suits your players?

The concern is, we’ve brought in a number of players who don’t fit the system Lampard wants to play - Gueye, McNeil and Maupay. I’m actually ok with Gueye and McNeil being in the squad but they might not be the no6 and no11 who start most games.

We took a punt on Garner but at this point he doesn’t look the answer.

Maybe we need to play Onana in that deep central role.

Everton football is direct football

I hope he bins off whatever that gameplan was supposed to be. Pointless passing that only created danger in our own final third when we gave it away sideways

Everton football is direct football

I hope he bins off whatever that gameplan was supposed to be. Pointless passing that only created danger in our own final third when we gave it away sideways

…well, Tim, you know from my comments we need to bypass central midfield, even if it’s on occasion. Patient build up is fine if it leads to something but it it doesn’t suit these players & means we don’t play with tempo.

it’s all to ponderous, and we should pkay to our strengths. Issue is without DCL, it’s a bit pointless going from back to front because the ball will come straight back.

…well, Tim, you know from my comments we need to bypass central midfield, even if it’s on occasion. Patient build up is fine if it leads to something but it it doesn’t suit these players & means we don’t play with tempo.

it’s all to ponderous, and we should pkay to our strengths. Issue is without Dominic Calvert-Lewin, it’s a bit pointless going from back to front because the ball will come straight back.
I dont like slow passive football. It will never work at Everton and personally I think it has had its day in modern football.

The quickest way to score a goal is to get it forward quickly. The most difficult places to defend are when the opposition turn you and make you chase towards your own goal.

Our passing was dire today and our gamplan was dire. We did exactly what Rodgers would have hoped. I bet he was on the sideline thinking he should do the lottery tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.