Is the 442 Formation Hopelessly Outmoded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horses for courses, that’s the beauty of a manager who can flex a squad during a game, people get too hung up on a fixed formation, ‘can’t buy him, doesn’t fit in the no.10 role or can’t play out wide’
players should be bought with a multitude of roles and positions in mind, even sitting on the bench if he doesn’t fit in a particular formation.
I think when Carlo clears the deck and brings his own payers in, their will be no fixed formation.

I don't think any tactic is dated. The in favour tactic of teams tends to be cyclical.

As for as our team, we just don't have the players needed to play the system effectively. We have a number of players bought under different managers who were bought to play in 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3.

We'll get the right players and thrive.

Horses for courses, that’s the beauty of a manager who can flex a squad during a game, people get too hung up on a fixed formation, ‘can’t buy him, doesn’t fit in the no.10 role or can’t play out wide’
players should be bought with a multitude of roles and positions in mind, even sitting on the bench if he doesn’t fit in a particular formation.
I think when Carlo clears the deck and brings his own payers in, their will be no fixed formation.
Us plebs think Of tactic in terms of jigsaw puzzles, the very best managers think of tactics in terms of Rubik cubes!

Need your formation to suit your best players. Probably why we’ve gone with two upfront. I think we often play well with 532 because we don’t have any wide players of repute. The more good players we have the better options we will have. City and Liverpool went for the league in 13/14 both playing 442.

Need a third player that's comfortable dropping in the midfield for 442 to be successful athleti will often play koke or saul as wide midfielders and carlo did with Napoli as well with Fabian Ruiz

Think it's more about having intelligent adaptable players,who can switch setups as a game progresses.
Which at the moment we don't have.

4-3-3 is the new hot spanking formation if you have the players, As long as it isn't 4-2-3-1 I cannot stand that formation any longer, I know we did it against Sheffield but my god it is absolutely awful.

4-4-2 is good if you have a strong team. However if you are mid table you need to be a bit more innovative and 4-4-2 is too rigid for this. Ancelloti has usually been in charge of teams that are at the top which is why it has largely worked for him. However we are mid table so he may have to rethink.

Status
Not open for further replies.