GrandOldTeam TV Interview with Jamie Carragher

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a great watch Adam. You have a really nice, warm and down to earth approach that puts people at ease.

Carragher basically comes accross how I expected as a down to earth, intelligent, decent lad. Most who've met him echo he's a good egg really. He spoke thoughtfully about Everton and there was no condescension or nastiness to the jokes he had.

I agree with you re Robles but also can see why he says it. He's not well known and his performances have been under the radar. The one higher profile match we've played he had his only shocker.

Carraghers big omission for me is his book which is needlessly angry and out of character. I do think a lot of what he says about us is a case of projection. Rather than viewing his switch between blue to red and the inevitable and unavoidable path most footballers would take playing for their rivals he had to make a bigger play of it.

It is a path on both sides have taken, Fowler, Mcmanaman, Mchahon, Rush, Watson, Reid, (allegedly Hibbert) etc. I sense he was a massive blue before though and the switch caused a lot of confusion and could only be justified to himself as Evertonians being horrible and changing. In the end his relationship to the club changed which is no dig at him, its actually to his credit for being such a pro. Theres a real sadness when you here of the lad warming up at Anfield trying to tell his dad the Everton score. As he said, his dad told him that couldn't go on.

He probably doesn't want to acknowledge it (for reasons above) but you can hear the warmth for the Everton he supported. The way he Freudian slip said "we" after Kanchelskis winning the Derby and I'm sure he would still remember the 80s fondly.

It's a great interview and really enjoyed the bit about how he viewed Everton players. That incite is incredibly valuable and probably couldn't be got from 10
Everton players. He saw Everton players as weak.

Anyway great work and thanks to Carragher.

I agree with the mentality point at the end, i think the negativeness from fans also passes it on to players minds too.

We need to go in to Saturday thinking/saying we can beat them, we are better then them.. Etc.

As has been mentioned by a lot of others already, I also found the last part about the mentality of our players very interesting and it doesn't surprise me one bit. Since the late 90's where we had Big Dunc etc I genuinely believe that only one man turned up in most, if not all Derbies playing in the manner they should with 100% passion, little respect for LFC and also weighed in with important actions in those games. Tim Cahill.

I cannot think of a single other Everton player who consistently did that during Moyes time, and there have been none since either. I am sure some may mention Mirallas' snide tackles but I have seen plenty of derbies where he has been just as pathetic as the rest of them. The likes of Baines, Jagielka, Coleman, Osman, Pienaar, Neville etc were/have been an utter disgrace in a lot of derbies in the respect they gave to that lot, and the fear especially came to the forefront at Anfield.

That needs to change under Koeman.

Something else that I found interesting and I disagree entirely with Carragher is this accusation that the Everton fan's mentality is not right. I have been to nearly all of the Anfield derbies in the last 10 years and our fans couldn't be more up for it. Constant singing and hatred shown to their players and their fans, and we are let down by the weak mentality of the players time and time again, as Carragher rightly pointed out in regard to what happened before kick off.

I agree with the mentality point at the end, i think the negativeness from fans also passes it on to players minds too.

We need to go in to Saturday thinking/saying we can beat them, we are better then them.. Etc.

Its hard to say. I've always thought that often we'd go all hyped up and try to tackle harder, get more physical etc and we'd be so focused on that that we'd forget that eventually we are supposed to score. Especially under Rafael that seemed to play right into their hands. Rafael's sides were always willing to get into a scrap, they were usually bigger and more physical than us and liked to play that way because eventually Gerrard or one of their strikers is going to get through, Kuyt is going to outmuscle someone or Alonso is going to unlock us.

I also think I remember Rafael has saying in the past that every time they played everton his focus was always on Arteta. He said you sit back on him and he'll take over the match so they tried to get the ball away from him as soon as possible.

They also might consider Man Utd their biggest rival but we also bring out the best in them and they bring out the worst in us.

I just can't fathom it, how can you grow a mad Evertonian as he clearly was and change like he did? It's just a career at the end of the day, no one was forcing him to tear down his Everton posters. Maybe deep down he still is a blue but the way he tries so hard to portray himself as this massive red I'll never get. Did his dad change as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.