GrandOldTeam TV Interview with Jamie Carragher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't fathom it, how can you grow a mad Evertonian as he clearly was and change like he did? It's just a career at the end of the day, no one was forcing him to tear down his Everton posters. Maybe deep down he still is a blue but the way he tries so hard to portray himself as this massive red I'll never get. Did his dad change as well?

Would love to know what his reaction his when Everton score when he goes to a game at Goodison? Does he sit their head in hands sobbing, does he stand and "politely" clap, or does he actually remember he is/was an Evertonian and show a bit of emotion?

Enjoyed both parts of the interview. Interesting to get the enemy's perspective from time to time.

He confirms what we've all thought, that over the last 10/15 years there has been a serious difference in mentality between us on derby day. Carraghers and Gerrards surprise at how friendly our players were during the handshakes is an interesting, if not depressing, detail.

Would loved a few more questions about specific everton/liverpool moments. Him getting away with the Lescott foul, his views on the Wembley bottlejob, views on the champions league qualification debates in 2005 and the conspiracy theories with Collina etc.

Well done Adam. You did a really good job of this. (Though, the Gerrard picture thing was a bit of a divvy move tbf.)

Enjoyed both parts of the interview. Interesting to get the enemy's perspective from time to time.

He confirms what we've all thought, that over the last 10/15 years there has been a serious difference in mentality between us on derby day. Carraghers and Gerrards surprise at how friendly our players were during the handshakes is an interesting, if not depressing, detail.

Would loved a few more questions about specific everton/liverpool moments. Him getting away with the Lescott foul, his views on the Wembley bottlejob, views on the champions league qualification debates in 2005 and the conspiracy theories with Collina etc.

Well done Adam. You did a really good job of this. (Though, the Gerrard picture thing was a bit of a divvy move tbf.)

Personally can imagine Baines, Osman and Jagielka to be big culprits of this. Think that needs eradicating, hopefully Tom Davies is just the start.

He came across as really sound. Fair enough.

Great interview. I could have watched a fair bit more!

Hopefully the mentality aspect has changed under Koeman. We need to get out there and really fight for every ball and fully concentrate on winning our individual battles across the park.

I just can't fathom it, how can you grow a mad Evertonian as he clearly was and change like he did? It's just a career at the end of the day, no one was forcing him to tear down his Everton posters. Maybe deep down he still is a blue but the way he tries so hard to portray himself as this massive red I'll never get. Did his dad change as well?
I think the only one who stayed a blue was McManaman, and you could tell because his performances in derby games were way below his usual standard.

Thought it was a very good interview.

All I'd suggest is, leave the childish crap at home?! Obviously Carragher is now a highly regarded pundit, and its a massive achievement to get him to do an interview with a fans website nevermind an opposition one. Trying to give him a picture of Gerrard falling over, asking him to pass it on was idiotic and could hinder future opportunities of access and interviews.

It was a great watch Adam. You have a really nice, warm and down to earth approach that puts people at ease.

Carragher basically comes accross how I expected as a down to earth, intelligent, decent lad. Most who've met him echo he's a good egg really. He spoke thoughtfully about Everton and there was no condescension or nastiness to the jokes he had.

I agree with you re Robles but also can see why he says it. He's not well known and his performances have been under the radar. The one higher profile match we've played he had his only shocker.

Carraghers big omission for me is his book which is needlessly angry and out of character. I do think a lot of what he says about us is a case of projection. Rather than viewing his switch between blue to red and the inevitable and unavoidable path most footballers would take playing for their rivals he had to make a bigger play of it.

It is a path on both sides have taken, Fowler, Mcmanaman, Mchahon, Rush, Watson, Reid, (allegedly Hibbert) etc. I sense he was a massive blue before though and the switch caused a lot of confusion and could only be justified to himself as Evertonians being horrible and changing. In the end his relationship to the club changed which is no dig at him, its actually to his credit for being such a pro. Theres a real sadness when you here of the lad warming up at Anfield trying to tell his dad the Everton score. As he said, his dad told him that couldn't go on.

He probably doesn't want to acknowledge it (for reasons above) but you can hear the warmth for the Everton he supported. The way he Freudian slip said "we" after Kanchelskis winning the Derby and I'm sure he would still remember the 80s fondly.

It's a great interview and really enjoyed the bit about how he viewed Everton players. That incite is incredibly valuable and probably couldn't be got from 10
Everton players. He saw Everton players as weak.

Anyway great work and thanks to Carragher.

Agree with all this except for Adam being really nice, warm and down to earth. He puts me on edge, that's why nobody will go to this Everton event with him tonight.

Thought it was a very good interview.

All I'd suggest is, leave the childish crap at home?! Obviously Carragher is now a highly regarded pundit, and its a massive achievement to get him to do an interview with a fans website nevermind an opposition one. Trying to give him a picture of Gerrard falling over, asking him to pass it on was idiotic and could hinder future opportunities of access and interviews.

Appreciate what you're saying but the interview is mutually beneficial and as a fan site, we don't need to kiss his arse/build rapport for future interviews. We expected him to be a little more on the front foot and I wouldn't publish it/put our name to it if it come across as an arse kissing exercise. He was expecting a more unorthodox interview, and that was the appeal. Glad you enjoyed it overall and thought it was very good.

As has been mentioned by a lot of others already, I also found the last part about the mentality of our players very interesting and it doesn't surprise me one bit

How many times over the years have we said lost bottle/out fought? It's typically brushed off as the ramblings of a bitter fan but Carraghers comments went some way to reaffirm what we've all moaned about for years.

He came across as really sound. Fair enough.

Great interview. I could have watched a fair bit more!

Hopefully the mentality aspect has changed under Koeman. We need to get out there and really fight for every ball and fully concentrate on winning our individual battles across the park.

Definitely!

Great piece. But hands down the best thing is the attempted subtitles on youtube. F**kin hilarious

Absolutely spot on with the respect comments and the awful mentality from our players.

We need winners who want to destroy them.

Koeman simply must change this. Our record against them is unacceptable, against some bang average sides too of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.