In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view is that the whole organisation is cowed by the fixture. I'm not blaming fans because it's the team that runs up a terrible sequence initially, but I do believe it takes a life of its own now and there's an unspoken acceptance between fans and players that we are happy with a draw at best.

We need to face up to this. Have a look on forums like this in the derby week and it'll be feelings of dread and hopelessness. From social media it gets into the print and radio and tv media and the players rub shoulders with some fans who are downcast about it all and express a 'dont lose' message.

We're all in this together.

What we need is 2-3 players to just give it the billy big bollox in this fixture mate and for the rest to buy into that with them.

It's ultimately what the rs did to stop there run of horrible derby results when Gerrard, Carragher basically drilled in what the fixture meant to no marks like Kuyt, Lucas etc who always then raised there game twofold for the fixture.

My view is that the whole organisation is cowed by the fixture. I'm not blaming fans because it's the team that runs up a terrible sequence initially, but I do believe it takes a life of its own now and there's an unspoken acceptance between fans and players that we are happy with a draw at best.

We need to face up to this. Have a look on forums like this in the derby week and it'll be feelings of dread and hopelessness. From social media it gets into the print and radio and tv media and the players rub shoulders with some fans who are downcast about it all and express a 'dont lose' message.

You are spot on Dave, I am even beginning to react the same way myself, and, I am old enough to remember the days when we won as many derbies as we lost. There just seems to be this sense of the inevitable defeat every time we play them. As you say I think the demise of Baines and Jagielka et al will go some way towards helping, but, the fact remains we need far more genuine winners at the club, both at coaching and playing level.

Just a coping mechanism isn't it? Easier to take the defeats when you expect nothing less. Maybe it would make some difference if we went in with confidence, unfortunately I think it'd just make us look even more stupid because the outcome would end up being the same.

Simeone must be given huge credit for turning the ship at Atletico in the face of arguably the worlds biggest club. That takes some doing.

No doubt he was supported not by a moneybags board either, just supremely prudent and clever decision-making and business management.

Spurs the same vis a vis Arsenal.

It really is about the whole club being properly run and developing together and at the same pace.

Good management on and off the field yields results, and would do so in the Derby too, without fail.

And we have Bill and Bob.

Nights like last night sum it all up. For once we actually turn up, play well and scored a sick goal. Yet they still won despite never looking like they’d score.

Back the manager, or at least hold off calling for his dismissal four weeks into the job. That was our best display there for 20 years[/QUOTE]

Look at the stats on shots at goal/on target. We weren't creative enough. You dont win derbies by just battling.

I can see both sides of this argument. I'm not sure about 20 years but it was a game I actually quite enjoyed watching. Usually I'm just full of dread. We were compact and solid and clearly looking to break. Whilst we didn't create enough / get shots off I was actually encouraged. This might sound odd but we got in and around the box and either overplayed or lacked that bit of guile for the killer pass (or run from a striker). We also got some dangerous crosses in that a goalscorer would have been hurtling on to. Sorry DCL but you're not that kind of player (If he ever will be is a separate argument).

Part of its recruitment, part of it is BFS taking the handbreak off

Build a time machine and bring Howard's '85 team back. We'd snot everyone including the maggots across the park - or - start implementing a winning mentality.

Simeone must be given huge credit for turning the ship at Atletico in the face of arguably the worlds biggest club. That takes some doing.

No doubt he was supported not by a moneybags board either, just supremely prudent and clever decision-making and business management.

Spurs the same vis a vis Arsenal.

It really is about the whole club being properly run and developing together and at the same pace.

Good management on and off the field yields results, and would do so in the Derby too, without fail.

And we have Bill and Bob.
Yep.

We need our Simeone to be employed and stand up and be counted.

Yep.

A proper manager would have us rampaging over that Liverpool team. Bolasie, Siggurddsson, Rooney, even DCL is quite capable of making an impact. Lookman and Vlasic on the bench. Without Coutinho and Salah in the side, I can't believe we lost.

Yep.

What are our chances of getting him? I honestly think we're further away than ever, would love to be proved wrong though.

Imagine him on the touch line, or even on the pitch, getting stuck in when we've been wronged....

Status
Not open for further replies.