In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get Simeone

Be interested to know if our Derby record is close to eclipsing Atletico's winless streak before Simeone arrived. Theirs was pretty bad, abysmal that ours might seriously be worse now.

Edit: their winless streak was 13 years so we're safe for now.

Be interested to know if our Derby record is close to eclipsing Atletico's winless streak before Simeone arrived. Theirs was pretty bad, abysmal that ours might seriously be worse now.
I have no idea mate but I dream of having him here, just for his snide alone.

As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?
Dave, we are like rabbits caught in headlights whenever we play them, it is contagious, it seems that while we have any of the present staff here we will be beaten before we go on the pitch against them.

What’s the answer? I’m afraid I don’t know, we can’t just get rid of everyone from the top down can we? I think we need some right nasty bar stewards in the team who have the mentality that if you want to beat us you will need to go war.

The RS players and fans are always up for the derby. The Everton fans are stirred by this fixture too - but the Everton players are not. They do not understand the significance because the side doesn't possess a suitable captain to ingrain any passion. Jagielka is wimpiest captain to ever wear the armband. Not only that, the RS are just a better team all round and have bottle.
Cobblers, mate.

Did you see jags last night? Sprinting you the right wing to set up a goal? You remember his volley against them a few years ago? Might not be the most vocal leader, but he has always put his body on the line for us. Tremendous player he's been for us, now in his Twilight, sadly.

As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?
It's now 8 years, 2010 was our last victory.Also 16 matches is the longest baron run in our 140 year history. No worse time to be an evertonian if you also add the 24 years now (after 2018 being trophyless) without silverware.

Edit: their winless streak was 13 years so we're safe for now.
23 games without a win Atletico went between 2002 and 2013.

If we dont grow a pair we'll be surpassing that.

It's clear what's needed, because it's been demonstrated before.

We need players who understand the significance of the Derby in the city and to the supporters. We need players who hurt like we do when them scruffy day-trippers beat us. In that, I mean the spirit o ft he likes of Tim Cahill, Duncan and before them Andy King and Andrei. All players who whilst not local natives fully understood the relevance of a Derby.

We need to totally eradicate the losers mentality that has engulfed this Club for much longer than I care to remember. Currently, and in our recent past we've had seasoned pro's who have no bottle whatsoever....last night the kids were the better equipped to deal with the occasion. We need to lose the losers.....move on the likes of Jagielka, Baines, Mirallas and bring in some players without fear.

And we need to lose the inferiority complex. That starts with getting behind the team rather than fuming at every opportunity. They should be absolutely terrified of coming to Goodison and they shouldn't be so cock-sure when they trot out at the Pit. They are better than us because we tell them they are by the way we act on and off the pitch....played great but lost, ref robbed us, spawny Devils Club etc....stop making excuses and let's get at them at every single opportunity.

We need a captain who'll accept nothing going against us from the officials and be in their faces the whole 90 minutes like Slippy always was and like Milner was last night. Give Seamus the armband and get the likes of Holgate, Kenny, Baningame and Davies believing at this level what they believed at U-21 and U-23 level.

Think the watering down of atmospheres at stadiums as well plays a part. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but even 10 years ago Goodison would always be rocking and would be a great leveller for us. These days, now you can't tackle, tickets coat a million quid etc I think that definitely effects the atmosphere. Alternately, I could be talking out my ample bottom.

Maybe if we look at Liverpool’s OBVIOUS deficiencies and play against them rather than trying to play our own brand of crap?

It’s not just winning just one game against them important as that is to shift this burden.

We play them twice a year minimum and have to maintain a record that gives us credibility and self-respect.

I will be relieved more than ecstatic at beating them as I’m sure they will laugh it off as a bad day at the office/cheating ref etc whilst we bring out a commemorative DVD.

I will never give them the satisfaction of thinking their on a level with Barcelona or Real Madrid and that beating them is such a rare event that it’s an enormous shock.

We need to beat them and then beat them again, and again, worst thing is beat them and then wait another 20 odd games to do it again.

We had a similier seven year barren spell between the David Johnson in '71 and the Andy King in '78.

I suppose that must be the record they broke last night.

Seven years is 14 league games. Then there was the Clive Thomas semi final.

Hang on....that just makes 15.

Am I missing a cup tie here?

I don't believe I am.

But I cannot believe we endured a similar run to this one, or the one in the 70s, when we were the powerhouse in this city.
We played them in 2012 semi final and last night's cup tie, 14 league and 2 cup.

Dave, we are like rabbits caught in headlights whenever we play them, it is contagious, it seems that while we have any of the present staff here we will be beaten before we go on the pitch against them.

What’s the answer? I’m afraid I don’t know, we can’t just get rid of everyone from the top down can we? I think we need some right nasty bar stewards in the team who have the mentality that if you want to beat us you will need to go war.
My view is that the whole organisation is cowed by the fixture. I'm not blaming fans because it's the team that runs up a terrible sequence initially, but I do believe it takes a life of its own now and there's an unspoken acceptance between fans and players that we are happy with a draw at best.

We need to face up to this. Have a look on forums like this in the derby week and it'll be feelings of dread and hopelessness. From social media it gets into the print and radio and tv media and the players rub shoulders with some fans who are downcast about it all and express a 'dont lose' message.

We're all in this together.

Think the watering down of atmospheres at stadiums as well plays a part. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but even 10 years ago Goodison would always be rocking and would be a great leveller for us. These days, now you can't tackle, tickets coat a million quid etc I think that definitely effects the atmosphere. Alternately, I could be talking out my ample bottom.

The atmosphere for a derby at Goodison is about the only time I think you could say we really do get the place bouncing. You can't pin it on the fans for our results in these games. Quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.