In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know Dave,last night at 1-1,ten minutes to go was our opportunity, all us fans were urging them forward to make it a night to remember,I was looking at our fellas out there, did I see a steely look in their eyes that they were going all out to make something special happen?no,unfortunately all I could see was fear and trepidation and a look of "hope"that we could get out of there with a replay, that is why it was no surprise to me when they got the winner, until we get over this stupid "fear mentality"we have,I can't see things changing.
we even gifted them a corner to give them a chance

Let's have it right lads: the painful truth is that last night was nowhere near good enough.

We were there waiting to be dispatched. Again.

There's no honour in that.
And that was without their two best players Salah/Coutinho.

..there’s a status quo in this city. The Reds look down on the Blues. As somebody more articulate than me said yesterday, it’s not like we are three leagues below them but we still can’t beat them.

I keep saying that Moshiri’s key objective should be turning over the status quo in this city. If we do that we’ll be on our way.

Moshiri should get his mate Usmanov to buy us, or buy them and sell all their players!!

We haven't looked like we thought we could win for a while :(

As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?

We had a similier seven year barren spell between the David Johnson in '71 and the Andy King in '78.

I suppose that must be the record they broke last night.

Seven years is 14 league games. Then there was the Clive Thomas semi final.

Hang on....that just makes 15.

Am I missing a cup tie here?

I don't believe I am.

But I cannot believe we endured a similar run to this one, or the one in the 70s, when we were the powerhouse in this city.

The 5-0 at home early 80s was a real low point but 2/3 years later we were the better side with many of the same players
Yeah, that's the point I was badly trying to make mate.
As Dave said, we should treat every derby seriously, and go on a war footing. But I honestly believe the RS don't take it as serious, they expect to win cos we always expect to lose. They treat it like any other game, which says more about us than it does them.

We had a similier seven year barren spell between the David Johnson in '71 and the Andy King in '78.

I suppose that must be the record they broke last night.

Seven years is 14 league games. Then there was the Clive Thomas semi final.

Hang on....that just makes 15.

Am I missing a cup tie here?

I don't believe I am.

But I cannot believe we endured a similar run to this one, or the one in the 70s, when we were the powerhouse in this city.
15 games without a win from 72 to 78. I just avoided all but the last two of that sequence. Kingy's goal one of my favourite moments.

Said it before, I'll say it again until somebody who knows what to do acts on it.

I'm not religious, spiritual or superstitious. I'm a scientist to the core, however .. .

The rs clearly have a pact with the devil.
We clearly are under a curse. (I regret to this day, the heather selling gypsy I didn't buy from in 1988).

Somebody needs to say some words to whatever deity is showing an interest in football.

Perhaps we should sacrifice a goat* or something?

*This could be @MoutsGoat 's moment to take one for the team.

we'll have to bleed him in the centre circle before our next home game !

*gasps

I thought the influx of so many new players would have been the chance to wipe the slate clean with this but now they have all been infected with the same inferiority and that is very difficult to shift.

I am at a loss as to how we change it. It really is a psychological issue as by now the law of averages would have meant we would have beaten them at least once. So for that not to happen surely means the players, manager, and club are subconsciously contributing to our own defeat and surrender mentality.

We would probably need to be about 3 goals up with a minute left of injury time now against them before I could contemplate a win.

And Moshiri’s utterly stupid “expected loss” comments just play into their hands.

It’s at the stage where we have nothing left to lose against them.

I can’t offer any remedy but I’d like to hear someone in authority at the club come out and say our derby record is ‘kin appalling and unacceptable and will no longer be tolerated. Why not?

It should be something that is drummed into everyone at the club - we will not lie down against them.

I like Munster Rugby’s motto - “Stand Up and Fight” - we should use “Fight and Win”.

Back the manager, or at least hold off calling for his dismissal four weeks into the job. That was our best display there for 20 years

And that post explains the problem right there.Another derby defeat, and our last hope for a trophy this season, gone up in smoke.Yet some people are happy enough with a moral defeat.The Kenwright/Moyes plucky little Everton mentality, has a lot to do with our appalling record in derbies.

I thought the influx of so many new players would have been the chance to wipe the slate clean with this but now they have all been infected with the same inferiority and that is very difficult to shift.

I am at a loss as to how we change it. It really is a psychological issue as by now the law of averages would have meant we would have beaten them at least once. So for that not to happen surely means the players, manager, and club are subconsciously contributing to our own defeat and surrender mentality.

We would probably need to be about 3 goals up with a minute left of injury time now against them before I could contemplate a win.

And Moshiri’s utterly stupid “expected loss” comments just play into their hands.

It’s at the stage where we have nothing left to lose against them.

I can’t offer any remedy but I’d like to hear someone in authority at the club come out and say our derby record is ‘kin appalling and unacceptable and will no longer be tolerated. Why not?

It should be something that is drummed into everyone at the club - we will not lie down against them.

I like Munster Rugby’s motto - “Stand Up and Fight” - we should use “Fight and Win”.
I also thought £200M spent would allow at least some evening out of squads. We completely lost that cash and now have to figure a better way out of this using our academy and wise purchases and a brilliant new manager.....

Status
Not open for further replies.