In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Player Valuation: £150m
As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?

As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?
Back the manager, or at least hold off calling for his dismissal four weeks into the job. That was our best display there for 20 years

Better players and a change in the mentality.

Getting shot of the chairman, ceo, half the playing staff and particularly this guy http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/sam-allardyce/ would be a start.

It’s not bad luck, it’s not referees, it’s our inferiorority complex. with the exception of Martinez who got tonked, we have had 25 years of managers who’s main ambition was to avoid defeat.

So to answer your question, support someone else because the run ain’t ending anytime soon.

Eventually we will win tbh, not much else to do but wait for that day. Hopefully once the likes of Jagielka and Baines have gone (I like them but they are scarred) we will get better against the rs.
They are defo key ingredients to the failure.

We need fearless players who just dont give a flying one and go there with intent, not going there and adopting the foetal position as so many of our players have...even at GP they hide.

It is beyond depressing now. Derby wins are something we all cherish and there's probably a generation of kids growing up in the city that have yet to see one.

Generally we just need better players, also stopping selling our best ones would probably help too.

They are defo key ingredients to the failure.

We need fearless players who just dont give a flying one and go there with intent, not going there and adopting the foetal position as so many of our players have...even at GP they hide.
I know opinion is divided by McCarthy but he does this well imo. If Sam does bring in N'Zonzi, then I reckon he will do well in the derbies aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.