If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would saying Benitez be an offensive suggestion?

Yes
No offence taken by me. Benitez has proven he can manage with money and without money. I think he would be a good choice if Silva was ever sacked.

Newcastle are 17th
Silva took Hull down?

Moyes had us at 17th, Silva will have us around the same.

Understand your point but would you prefer to stick or twist?

Silva wont have us at 17th, but regardless Moyes took us from 15th to 7th in his first season.

As for stick or twist, im seeing nothing currently that suggests hes the man we need, but I am willing to give him time, the reaction in the next 15 games will tell me a lot, im not expecting to win them all, but I am expecting to see us compete, something we havent really done since December.

I had concerns prior to appointing Silva, his teams cant defend and he can never halt slumps once they happen.

Im honestly rooting for him, not cos I like or rate him, I dont, but I honestly cba with sacking somebody else. That doesnt mean I want him to stay if our current form continues, but ideally he pulls his finger out and moves us up the table.

I think Mourinho won't go anywhere unless he has a lot of money at his disposal. He said he's turned down three jobs, one of which was Benfica. Probably hanging on to see if he could get the PSG gig or maybe Inter again.

Portuguese football is basically just a clearing house now for young players from Brazil to get sold on to bigger clubs in England, Spain, PSG in France and a couple of Italian clubs.

Porto bought that Militao from Sao Paolo for 5 million then want almost ten times that for him off Real Madrid.

Yes

Newcastle are 17th

Silva wont have us at 17th, but regardless Moyes took us from 15th to 7th in his first season.

As for stick or twist, im seeing nothing currently that suggests hes the man we need, but I am willing to give him time, the reaction in the next 15 games will tell me a lot, im not expecting to win them all, but I am expecting to see us compete, something we havent really done since December.

I had concerns prior to appointing Silva, his teams cant defend and he can never halt slumps once they happen.

Im honestly rooting for him, not cos I like or rate him, I dont, but I honestly cba with sacking somebody else. That doesnt mean I want him to stay if our current form continues, but ideally he pulls his finger out and moves us up the table.

Think the next four games are huge for Silva and the club, if we come away with say a point from these where would you stand then.

Think the next four games are huge for Silva and the club, if we come away with say a point from these where would you stand then.

Would pretty much be game over for him if we dont win at the VERY least at 1 of the next 5

But isnt City 1 of our next 4 games now?

If we play like we currently are the Goodison Derby could be quite painful, not that most of them arent, but REALLY painful.

I think some level of realism is required with the next manager. The mess we made after sacking Koeman makes me reticent to repeat the mistake again, and I suspect the professionalism of Brands will ensure we don't make that mistake again.

I also think us pulling away from potential (rumoured) deals is a significant step for Silva. You won't give money to a manager on borrowed time. In honest Walcott and Tosun were wasted buys last January.

To me we in a nice position to the summer, which will be a better time to get a manager in if things don't get better. If we lose a couple more games I can see Brands actively speaking to targets. It feels the right way to do things as well if Silva is to go.

The one curve ball might be Unsworth. Not massively popular on here, but continues to do a good job with the 23's (who are up at the top). The pressure of him not having to desperately win points to keep us away from the relegation zone would be a big plus, plus the club could make a clear announcement he would be here to the end of the season which would mean he had a fighting chance. He'd also have a nice run of 12-14 games to make an impression. By no means is he the perfect candidate but he surprise a few.

You look at Solskiaar and what he has done at United and the immediate transformation and it's reminiscent to Unsworth's first game in charge as opposed to the 2nd spell. Maybe he gets a run at it and puts himself into a position where he's a candidate like OGS at United? We have a lot to gain but not much to lose from such an appointment.

If you were to ask me for names though, unless we see some improvements from Silva it's going to be hard to build a case for him. I really like like Setien at Betis. Took over a struggling side, finished 6th last season and is around 10th this season (they were 15th the season before he came). He's done it on a neutral net spend as well. He's also 60 so quite experienced. Biers would be another option, or possibly Garitimo (from Atalanta) would all be experienced and shown they can get a side together quite quickly.

I've mentioned Setien in the past since we were going for Koeman I think. Said elsewhere though, I'd like him next season if we actually finish the job of culling the crap from the squad and getting in decent new signings.

I wouldn't want him parachuted in this season or taking over if we keep the pure strings tight in the summer.

He is very attack minded and would drive lots of the fans mad with some of the defensive risks. We continue on this unstable path and I think he's be the wrong buy at the wrong time as much as I like him.

I can't wait for the reaction of the Lower Gwladys when Tony Pulis is unveiled as our new gaffer.

We've been crap for years yet people want Silva out after just a few months. It's madness.

I remember when the kopites wanted Klopp to be sacked...

Steve Clarke. Has Kilmarnock doing great things in SPL on a very limited budget, can organise a defence as well as anyone and wouldn't cost a fortune to get him in.

The manager most suited to the cause would be Mancini - a manager who got a top 10 club to Premier League Champions, however I doubt we'd be able to take him away from the Italy job. Arteta, I'd be happy to take a risk with, given who he works under currently. Benitez would be a safe option, but I wouldn't complain

I think we won’t sack Silva this season unless we start to get sucked into a relegation scrap, which at this stage is not that likely.

It’s all well and good suggesting Conte and Mourinho, but to get a top bracket manager we need to be guaranteeing a lot of investment. That can’t happen until we sell all the fringe players - that’s another while away yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.