If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silva is not going to be sacked so let's just look to the future.

It's ridiculous this short-term thinking.
It was short term thinking that landed us with this idiot, what we should of done is go for someone that we can give at least 3 seasons too, which clearly isn't this bell.
Watford didn't waste time with the loser, have they really got more long term ambition then us?

Is this realistic or dreaming? Why are people mentioning Mourinho or Conte?
Who are they managing now? 17th richest club in the world comes knocking and at least in the Maourinho's case, half of those above 17th are not options anymore even if they were looking for a coach.

It's a decision that needs to be made at board room level. If they fit in with what the club wants from a coach, then they should be suitably targeted. Weren't Koeman and Moyes amongst the best paid managers in the world when they were here? If you go for a manager like those, then also there will be an expectation to back them in the transfer market. It's totally in Everton's court if they want to pursue this type of manager - it depends on finances, but I don't see many other teams in the world that could offer the same opportunity other than the super elite.

For people saying its short term thinking, I actually think getting a new manager in now is superb for the long term. It gives the new manager 4 months with this squad, a full transfer window and then next season. Far better than a new manager coming in over the summer, having half a transfer window with players he's only seen and not worked with...

I've mentioned Setien in the past since we were going for Koeman I think. Said elsewhere though, I'd like him next season if we actually finish the job of culling the crap from the squad and getting in decent new signings.

I wouldn't want him parachuted in this season or taking over if we keep the pure strings tight in the summer.

He is very attack minded and would drive lots of the fans mad with some of the defensive risks. We continue on this unstable path and I think he's be the wrong buy at the wrong time as much as I like him.

I think thats a fair point mate. I think this is ultimately we I say keep Silva until the end of the season. Why let a new manager have a challenging run of fixtures and be on a hiding to nothing (likely shifting down the table). Let Silva take the flak and plan for the summer.

The same could be said on Bielsa too. Very unlikely he leaves Leeds mid season. Maybe he would come the summer though?

Who are they managing now? 17th richest club in the world comes knocking and at least in the Maourinho's case, half of those above 17th are not options anymore even if they were looking for a coach.

It's a decision that needs to be made at board room level. If they fit in with what the club wants from a coach, then they should be suitably targeted. Weren't Koeman and Moyes amongst the best paid managers in the world when they were here? If you go for a manager like those, then also there will be an expectation to back them in the transfer market. It's totally in Everton's court if they want to pursue this type of manager - it depends on finances, but I don't see many other teams in the world that could offer the same opportunity other than the super elite.

They are all fair points mate, but I do worry about this line of thinking. It looks like belt tightening will be continued going forward. You have a squad that's ok on paper but lacking determination, grit and at times professionalism. You have a fan base that want the squad to be in the top 6 pretty much straight away. It's a really difficult ask.

What I'd also say was post Moshiri, after a period of stability (3 managers in 17 years) we attracted Southampton's manager (with a fair bit of difficulty) on the premise of huge sums of money to spend. Once he left, we ended up having to take a washed up Allardyce. After Allardyce left we took Watford's former manager. These are all a long way off Mourinho/Conte. I am struggling to see how we've become a bigger draw.

Yes

Newcastle are 17th

Silva wont have us at 17th, but regardless Moyes took us from 15th to 7th in his first season.

As for stick or twist, im seeing nothing currently that suggests hes the man we need, but I am willing to give him time, the reaction in the next 15 games will tell me a lot, im not expecting to win them all, but I am expecting to see us compete, something we havent really done since December.

I had concerns prior to appointing Silva, his teams cant defend and he can never halt slumps once they happen.

Im honestly rooting for him, not cos I like or rate him, I dont, but I honestly cba with sacking somebody else. That doesnt mean I want him to stay if our current form continues, but ideally he pulls his finger out and moves us up the table.

That's a pretty fair summary, or at least a summary of how I feel. I have to be honest, towards the end of Koeman/Martinez there was a part of me that hoped we lost games to get rid of them because I felt an exciting new name to come in. A big defeat was a price worth paying to get a Mourinho, or a Tuchel, or an Ancelotti etc. We are a million miles away from any of those names. That will not change if Silva goes. In honesty it further reduces our pull.

You also have to factor in, we are in a bit of a no win situation for a new manager this season. No cup competition, and the top 6 all to play in our remaining 14 games. The concern will be we are looking down not up with any manager we have. If contagion is needed, lets control it with Silva and move him on in the summer giving a new manager a fresh start. It's not popular but it's quite effective.

There will be no magic solutions with our next manager though. We are a very ordinary squad, who think they are a lot better than what they are.

I thought the appointment was too big a risk for us at the time.
But, he was appointed and we now need to stay with him for at least another twelve months, maybe more. We cannot keep chopping and changing managers after every run of poor results.
We need to give him time to get his team together and to get them playing as he would like them to play.

His first transfer window was productive but his second window seems more about selling than buying and that severely limits his ability to make any worthwhile changes to his team.

As much as I don't want to have to keep sacking managers, there is absolutely no evidence that it leads to worse results. Teams who sack regularly can be some of the most successful.

He will get more time but he's fast running out of it. This us a results business. If he doesn't improve fast then he should go. If the only reason to keep a manager is to avoid the scorn and mocking that comes with another sacking, then that's not a valid reason not to do it. We should only care about ourselves. Who cares about our perception with others and the media.

Feeling a bit down until I cam ein here and read someone would have David Wagner in the first few posts, had a good old chortle at that one.

T-How hanging his boots up, maybe he fancies a crack at earning £6m a year for failing.

In seriousness, I really don't believe he will be sacked, I don't say that with much conviction though because that home run of games is a death knell for anyone

As much as I don't want to have to keep sacking managers, there is absolutely no evidence that it leads to worse results. Teams who sack regularly can be some of the most successful.

He will get more time but he's fast running out of it. This us a results business. If he doesn't improve fast then he should go. If the only reason to keep a manager is to avoid the scorn and mocking that comes with another sacking, then that's not a valid reason not to do it. We should only care about ourselves. Who cares about our perception with others and the media.

I feel there should be a huge caveat there. That can be OK as long as there is an existing solid structure for purchases and of course it helps if you're working with top players (Chelsea).

They are all fair points mate, but I do worry about this line of thinking. It looks like belt tightening will be continued going forward. You have a squad that's ok on paper but lacking determination, grit and at times professionalism. You have a fan base that want the squad to be in the top 6 pretty much straight away. It's a really difficult ask.

What I'd also say was post Moshiri, after a period of stability (3 managers in 17 years) we attracted Southampton's manager (with a fair bit of difficulty) on the premise of huge sums of money to spend. Once he left, we ended up having to take a washed up Allardyce. After Allardyce left we took Watford's former manager. These are all a long way off Mourinho/Conte. I am struggling to see how we've become a bigger draw.
If I knew the answer to this, I would be more than happy to let you know. I am still backing Silva for the season, but unless he shows some signs of real improvement, then he can only expect one outcome.

I just read your next post and could sense the despondency in it - or perhaps that's just my own feelings colouring the matter! Who'd chose to be an Evertonian huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.