2017/18 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not a coincidence that he’s boss when he’s not next to Schneiderlin. Just give him the role he played today every game.

Perhaps he’s learned how to hit a ball as well? That drive in the first half was nice.
He actually has options when Davies is on the field. When Schneiderlin is on, that is one more player behind him that does nothing at all.

Ok player when he doesn’t have Schneiderfraud with him. We could get better though.

Could we????

He is great when he is given the role of just being that player who can sit in front of the back four and sweep up.

He doesn't need to be the player tasked with getting the ball forward. He isn't that player, it negates the best part of his game which is getting about the pitch, hassling opponents and regaining possession.

The midfield set-up of Gueye sitting, Rooney the playmaker and Davies the box-to-box player works because of the balance there.

We couldn't do better than Gueye for that particular role. There really aren't that many players out there that do it.

Kante is the only real comparable player. And he's ineffective playing box-to-box as well, just like Gana.

Could we????

He is great when he is given the role of just being that player who can sit in front of the back four and sweep up.

He doesn't need to be the player tasked with getting the ball forward. He isn't that player, it negates the best part of his game which is getting about the pitch, hassling opponents and regaining possession.

The midfield set-up of Gueye sitting, Rooney the playmaker and Davies the box-to-box player works because of the balance there.

We couldn't do better than Gueye for that particular role. There really aren't that many players out there that do it.

Kante is the only real comparable player. And he's ineffective playing box-to-box as well, just like Gana.

Depends - as a sitting midfielder I've thought in the past that he doesn't really have the required positional sense to play as a proper holding midfielder - he tends to be at his best when he can go hunting the ball.

He's done that holding role well enough in a few home games this season against lesser sides, but I'm yet to be convinced he's the answer long-term there, although I like him a lot as a player

Think the interest in N'Zonzi and links to Amadou suggest that we were looking for someone who plays that role more naturally and who uses the ball a bit better than Gueye does and I have to say I think that when the summer comes and we (hopefully) get rid of Schneiderlin, we need to look at a proper holding player, ideally someone with physical presence, and someone else with a bit of creativity as Rooney won't be able to play every game in midfield next season - someone like Seri from Nice (though he would probably have better options than us)

Could we????

The limitations of Gueye will once again be displayed away from home or against a top 6 side. He’s good at getting around harrying opponents but not at defending a position on the pitch. Comparisons with Kante are ridiculous, he is a world class pressing midfielder, Gueye is an average one posing as a defensive mid.

It all depends on what style of play you want. Chelsea had Matic to sit deep and also play forward balls similar to drink water at Leicester so Kante could just press up the pitch and chase. As soon as they’ve removed Matic then Kante hasn’t been as good. That player on our squad should be Schneiderlin but he’s choosing not to play football so Gueye ends up in the defensive mid role where he’s average in my eyes (our defensive record would back that up)

Depends - as a sitting midfielder I've thought in the past that he doesn't really have the required positional sense to play as a proper holding midfielder - he tends to be at his best when he can go hunting the ball.

He's done that holding role well enough in a few home games this season against lesser sides, but I'm yet to be convinced he's the answer long-term there, although I like him a lot as a player

Think the interest in N'Zonzi and links to Amadou suggest that we were looking for someone who plays that role more naturally and who uses the ball a bit better than Gueye does and I have to say I think that when the summer comes and we (hopefully) get rid of Schneiderlin, we need to look at a proper holding player, ideally someone with physical presence, and someone else with a bit of creativity as Rooney won't be able to play every game in midfield next season - someone like Seri from Nice (though he would probably have better options than us)

I agree with you in that sense, but it's all about the team having balance.

Gueye can cover the ground that negates the fact his positioning isn't always the best.

Romeu could be another option for that role you talk about N'Zonzi filling. Schneiderlin could have been that guy but he just seems to have dropped off a cliff.

The limitations of Gueye will once again be displayed away from home or against a top 6 side. He’s good at getting around harrying opponents but not at defending a position on the pitch. Comparisons with Kante are ridiculous, he is a world class pressing midfielder, Gueye is an average one posing as a defensive mid.

It all depends on what style of play you want. Chelsea had Matic to sit deep and also play forward balls similar to drink water at Leicester so Kante could just press up the pitch and chase. As soon as they’ve removed Matic then Kante hasn’t been as good. That player on our squad should be Schneiderlin but he’s choosing not to play football so Gueye ends up in the defensive mid role where he’s average in my eyes (our defensive record would back that up)

The comparisons with Kante are spot on in terms of playing style. They are very similar. Kante has much more to his all-round game, I wasn't comparing quality, simply style.

And no. Gueye's limitations shouldn't matter. He should be in the team to do one job - harass opponents, win the ball back and pass the ball on to a more creative player. Put him in that role and he's excellent.

Agree exactly on the second paragraph but as you say Schneiderlin isn't working out.

But I think it's semantics here.

A defensive mid to me is Kante/Gueye. What you're referring to is more of a holding player who can get on the ball and move the team forward - more like a deep-lying playmaker than a defensive midfielder.

The FA have revealed that Idrissa Gueye has agreed to a new five-year deal with Everton which would see him earn £75,000-a-week.

Although the Toffees never announced the deal, the papers were lodged with the FA on October 27.

The midfielder was handed the new contract as a reward for his impressive showings since joining the club from Aston Villa in 2016.

Since teaming up with the Goodison Park outfit, Gueye has hit the ground running featuring in 33 Premier League games in his debut season, thus, attracting interest from Manchester United and Chelsea.

Although hampered by injury and suspension, the 28-year-old has made 26 appearances in all competitions for the Toffees this term.

And to ward off interest from other clubs, the former Lille player was handed an improved deal worth £4 million a season.

He will be looking reciprocate the good gesture by helping Everton, currently ninth in the EPL log, stage a decent finish at the end of the season.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.