2017/18 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
He really isn't crap at all don't be ridiculous, he's exceptionally good at aggressively winning the ball back and setting us back on the front foot when we're defending, and also good at winning the ball high up the pitch to restart attacks. He just looks so lost when playing next to Schneiderlin. Because Morgan doesn't defend or attack or really do anything, Gueye is trying to do midfield jobs of two players, some of which (e.g. passing and vision) he isn't the best at, and so inevitably comes off looking worse than MS even though he's putting twice the effort in

Joey Barton seems to love him:

Idrissa Gueye. Remember when kids were on the playground and they all chase after the ball, and then somebody runs off because a crisp packet blows across the playground and he’s brain-dead? That’s Gueye. I think Schneiderlin is terrible, but it doesn’t help having him alongside him because the amount of times he vacates the middle of the park,” Barton raged.

LOL! As if Joey Barton ever went to school!

just read what Barton said and I tend to agree with him. I'm not saying he was to blame for any goal in particular from the weekend. About. a year ago another commentator questioned his discipline and positional awareness and since then i have been watching him a lot more closely. i think its true that he often chases after the ball and moves into areas that we already have players and it leaves the space he has vacated for the opposition to exploit. The problem is amplified when you have Rooney in midfield alongside him as he lacks the same discipline. The problem is most people will refer to his stats and say yeah but he made x blocks and tackles. the problem is he made then in another players zone and if the ball turns over he has to rush to get back in position.

The problem with all this is the poor discipline in midfield leaves our back 4 exposed.

this may well be the reason why fat sam insist on playing with 2 DMC and why Mccarthy was starting to feature again.

It looks to me like Walsh has been given a money ball role buying players on stats. Williams stats in his last year at Swansea was one of the best in the league. GANA second behind Kanta and then Sigy with his set pieces making it look like he's some sort of creative player when he has no pace, is positioning isn't great or his vision.

our fans seem to buy in to how much a player runs and give them too much credit for it.

we really need the big sweep in the summer. I just worry Moshiri is going to get pissed off with losing money hand over fist on bad players.

Of course, when you pair Gana with more of a box to box type and allow him to play his natural role, we play our best. No surprise there.

The guy is about the only guy on our entire team that can cover anyone in space and win balls back from the other team. I love how some are questioning his positional awareness when he's not playing the role he should play.

Good at winning the ball back, very limited on the ball. His lack of positional discipline is a concern, but no idea how much of that is down to him and how much is poor/unclear tactics.

My opinion is that he should either sit in front of the back 4 with 2 more creative players in front, or he should be winning the ball back higher up the pitch with a Gareth Barry type defensive playmaker protecting the back 4. Unfortunately I don't think we have anyone in the squad capable of playing that role at the minute.

Is he a holding mid? In which case he’s not doing a very good job. Is he a box to box? He barely scores or creates so again nothing. What does he do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.